Do you play well in charity outings?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
I played in just my 2nd charity outing this year as I have tried to cut back on them unless they are for a good cause. Being a single digit golfer unless I'm playing with other single digits I typically am the last to hit because for the most part at the very least I can give us a ball in play...most of the time haha. Now that being said I find that I don't normally play very well in these things. Maybe its trying too hard for the hero shot or maybe its swinging out of your shoes to hit it farther than the last guy I don't know.

Sure I hit a few good shots here and there, maybe make a putt or 2 but for some reason overall I don't play well, how about you?

I play in a 100 hole golf marathon every year. Often it’s one of the best ways for me to tune up my swing, and I end up coming out of it playing better than I came in. I hit a lot of my best shots at that event.

.....unfortunately I don't. But I play in a couple any way for obvious reasons

Generally I hit a mix of good and bad shots. I never take them as serious golf, so just go out and swing. Generally make a fair amount of putts as I get to see the line 3 times before I putt.

I do okay. They usually have me go first to put one in the fairway and then they can bomb away.

My focus on those outings isn't to play well, it's to have fun. I'm probably the best golfer in 90% of groups I play in around here, so a lot of my shots will be used, but we will always get pencil whipped no matter what.

All good, it's for a good cause and I sleep well at night.

• Admin
My focus on those outings isn't to play well, it's to have fun. I'm probably the best golfer in 90% of groups I play in around here, so a lot of my shots will be used, but we will always get pencil whipped no matter what.

All good, it's for a good cause and I sleep well at night.

Ah yes the good ole pencil whip. I don't care about winning and we always have a good time but this time around we witnessed blatent cheating from the group in front of us on Saturday. I have never seen anything like it. There was a guy probably in his 20's playing with 2 older women, I'm guessing one was his mom and the kid was hitting from the women's tees! It was slow of course so there was a backup on every hole and we were standing there watching. On the longest drive hole we literally watched this kid hit, then go pickup the marker and move it to his ball....then they played his ball. We were going to say something if he actually won but thankfully someone else beat him out.

I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm usually only picked to play in charity tournaments by others because I'm supposedly the "ringer" (best of the foursome) of the group. Usually the only one that can hit fairways & greens on a consistent basis & I always hit last. Puts more pressure on yourself having to put a ball in play after the other 3 put it in the woods, but it normally doesn't bother me. Except on Par 3's for some reason. I always try to hit it really close instead of just hitting the green & end up 20 - 30 feet away ... which we all know is a lot harder to make a putt from so far away.
Then it comes to putting. I feel I can read greens really well. But I tend to get into groups that have absolutely NO clue how to read greens & we always end up disagreeing about the break. So I ask the first guy to hit it where HE thinks it's going to go ... usually it's not even close. There goes the 1st wasted putt. The 2nd guy hits it supposedly on the line that I point out but comes nowhere near that line, so I don't see the break at the hole. The 3rd guy finally gets it on the line that it should be on & of course misses. So it comes down to me. Normally I'm pretty decent at putting once I know the break but it still leaves a lot of pressure on me to make it. I'm not saying that my reads are always right cause of course they aren't but I tend to get stuck with the guys that don't know the simple things about break ... towards the water, the low side of the green where the water drains, away from the mountain, etc. And in scrambles, charity tournaments, that's where you have to be good ... is on the greens.
I've won my company tournament 3 years in a row. So I guess I'm doing something right. :act-up:

Yep, I thrive in that environment for some reason, so I get asked to play in them a lot. I'm a great scramble partner.

Yep, I thrive in that environment for some reason, so I get asked to play in them a lot. I'm a great scramble partner.

That's cause you're a ringer! LOL :act-up:

That's cause you're a ringer! LOL :act-up:

I have been called that in scrambles from time to time. Hahaha

The older guys love to have me play on their team because of length, I enjoy it because those old bastards don't miss a fairway!

I play the same as I normally do - sometimes a tad better - especially in scramble events where the pressure is less because you've got 3 other golfers to rely on. And its all about putting anyway.

Most I don't because it's all about bombing and gouging and getting lucky. Under normal play, I would never to try and hit my 3W 280 over water and hope it lands softly so we reach a green in 2, but in a scramble, why not. One guy lays up and the rest of us try and pull off the impossible - it's usually the only way we can win with scores typically 17-20 under.

play in a lot of them for work....

I generally play my game, but do not consider most golf, as the eraser is the best tool on most of these events...

my general mindset is to enjoy the time with the people I am with...

I usually don’t play well in them, mainly because I’m not spectacular at any one thing in golf. I did play in a 2-man scramble with a 19-20 HC player a couple weeks ago and we shot a 70. Which doesn’t sound impressive, but the top 3 scores were 62/63/64 and some teams shot as high as the mid to high 80’s. But I played well and we met out goal of even par or better!

I usually end up going-for-broke on every shot so I will lose maybe more balls than a normal round but I don’t think I play any better or worse in a scramble.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't usually play that well without the pressure of having to make a good swing. I go to them for fun and usually try a bunch of shots that I wouldn't otherwise hit. I treat them for what they are; a chance to goof around on a golf course with buddies and maybe win a couple of door prizes along the way.

I used to stress over how I played in those as I was usually the low handicap member.
That would result in some bad rounds, but once I realized it did really matter and it was all for the charity, I lost the stress and play better.
Don't get me wrong, when I get a chance on the tee to swing out of my shoes, I do and that results in some horrible shots sometimes, but it's all in fun.

I normally have some pretty good success in charity events, and I've been on a few winning teams. I like them because, normally, I'm a very low-risk high-percentage player and playing in these events allows me the freedom to take to high-risk high-reward shots. I use these events as confidence builders.

I don't do well in charity golf events because the pace of play seems different. It seems like the people I get paired up with just want to hurry and get to the 19th hole and do beers.

I usually do a little better than normal. No pressure, so I play more relaxed. And since the big mistake that kills me in a normal round doesn't matter, it just makes everything seem easier in general.

I usually do alright tbh. It's all about fun and being loose for me in these, and that translates well to my game.

Back