Why the constant desire for more?

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
I have a perfectly fine set of P790 irons that were fit by Club Champion and have proved to be a great change in my bag. And yet, the desire for more is always there. Why do we need to constantly tinker and change? Now that Generation 1 PXG Irons are reduced in price my desire for a set of dark 0311P's with the same specs as the P790 continues to call my name. It's not even a money issue, I can pay for them. It's more a mental block, am I really going to buy another set of irons when I have perfectly fine tools in my bag now. I can't be the only person who struggles with this!

If it's for more yardage, I can understand it. But you've got distance irons.

Let the PXG go. They're okay but not the be all, end all.

If it's for more yardage, I can understand it. But you've got distance irons.

Let the PXG go. They're okay but not the be all, end all.

If anything it’s feel. I don’t really get any feedback from the TM, they just fly well. CC actually weakended the lifts and gapped the evenly so my set doesn’t play as hot as the off the rack 790’s.

I think some people like new shiny things.
Some people are aways in these hunt for "THE Club" thats going to magically make the a good golfer

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Oh you're absolutely not the only one who goes through this. TRUST ME. If you have the means, there's absolutely no harm is trying them out!

If some is good....more is better....right ?

I’m in the opposite boat. If I find something I like, I stick with it, as I showed in the list all your drivers thread. It was about 8 in 30 years of playing. I’ve finally found a set of irons I love, so they’ll be going nowhere soon. I’m gonna start looking at drivers next, but if nothing beats my XR16, it’ll stay in the bag. Everyone is different, but I feel if I really want to get better, I need some stability in my bag.

#FiberLaunch

Consumer instant gratification.

because complacency leads to apathy.

If anything it’s feel. I don’t really get any feedback from the TM, they just fly well. CC actually weakended the lifts and gapped the evenly so my set doesn’t play as hot as the off the rack 790’s.

Okay, but that's a big investment for feel. They do feel soft, especially in graphite, although that may depend on the graphite.

Sounds as if you want them - remember the 0311P is Gen 2 - the Gen 1 Equivalent is 0311. I bought the 0311 in 7-PW, then I hit the 0311XF - and added those in the 5-6i, then I added the rest of the XF to PW. The XF - a little big - but for a mid capper who was working on his swing for 1.5 years, the XF served me well.

Now looking at i500 or 919 Forged

Because I can?

I don't have a desire to constantly tinker and change. Maybe I am wrong, but I think unless your equipment is really old nothing new is going to make THAT much of a difference in your game.

the biggest spot in the bag that i have to resist the tinkering urge is irons. they're the prettiest clubs in the bag. they are used the most. the reward of a good shot is more fun for me than any other club.

the constant desire is for something that feels even just a little bit better. and will produce results that are even just a little bit better.

it almost never works out that way, but i can't help the mind from wandering.

Okay, but that's a big investment for feel. They do feel soft, especially in graphite, although that may depend on the graphite.

Sounds as if you want them - remember the 0311P is Gen 2 - the Gen 1 Equivalent is 0311. I bought the 0311 in 7-PW, then I hit the 0311XF - and added those in the 5-6i, then I added the rest of the XF to PW. The XF - a little big - but for a mid capper who was working on his swing for 1.5 years, the XF served me well.

Now looking at i500 or 919 Forged

I’d fit them exact to the P790... Aerotech Steelfiber i95 regular 1/2 inch short.

I always look at new irons, even though my fitting in February said that my current gamers were already pretty optimized.

Oh you're absolutely not the only one who goes through this. TRUST ME. If you have the means, there's absolutely no harm is trying them out!

This guy knows!

Ironically you wanting more (the PXG's) is the reason PXG was started. Parsons always wanted more/the best so he started his own company to have "the best".

I have a perfectly fine set of P790 irons that were fit by Club Champion and have proved to be a great change in my bag. And yet, the desire for more is always there. Why do we need to constantly tinker and change? Now that Generation 1 PXG Irons are reduced in price my desire for a set of dark 0311P's with the same specs as the P790 continues to call my name. It's not even a money issue, I can pay for them. It's more a mental block, am I really going to buy another set of irons when I have perfectly fine tools in my bag now. I can't be the only person who struggles with this!

When we no longer covet golf new equipment it's time to lay down and die.

At some point I do think we should be satisfied (but we aren't 100%). I've owned my irons for over 5 years, and my driver is 11 years old. But after 55 years of playing golf I still search for that fairway wood I can hit consistently, and the putter that drains all of my putts! LOL

I’ve only been back to golf for about a year. So I am obsessed with gear right now. But once my bag is really set I won’t be looking at clubs for a long while.

Back