Revamp the Playoffs

The playoff system has had a lot of changes and it almost feels like the early years were more of a beta test with the current being what they are running with at least for now. But this stat sure makes you question the entire thing, right?

Koepka won two of the four majors this year.
He could win the Tour Championship as well and still not win the FedEx Cup. Now granted he missed time so that is an extreme case.
How about this one. I believe (my math could be off) Tony Finau could finish 2nd and win the FedEx Cup with zero wins this year.

My solution is making a 4 event match play where the Tour Championship is 1 on 1 and winner take all.

Although it can leave a bad taste if someone less 'deserving' wins, keep in mind this is the playoffs. It's no different than the NFL, NBA, MLB, etc. If a wild card team wins the Super Bowl with a 9-7 record it goes to show they certainly weren't the dominant team during the regular season but they caught fire in the games that matter. I liken these 4 weeks to that and the format makes total sense. This under par start for the #1 seed is an awful idea though...

I'd say leading money winner(lmw) is tops unless he doesn't finish in top..........say 8 of first tournament. Finished out of top 8 he moves down 2 spots. If you have a top 8 you move up a spot, unless the one above you also had top 8. Similar moves for second tournament

Those out of season long top 10 are tiered off; 11-25, 26-50.....If you are in second tier and win, you move up to bottom of top tier, a top 8 you move up one tier.

If a lmw played half way decent thru the playoffs, he keeps his position and others can make significant moves, but not directly to the top. A lesser player would have to have lights out playoff to win and the lmw would have to flop.

I understand the business side of trying to have "golf playoffs" similar to the NFL, NBA, but it just seems too contrived.

I'm not fixing it. I like it. The whole goal of these "playoffs" was to get the top golfers on the tour to play in tournaments after the PGA Championship before the (then) silly season. It has worked in that respect. I don't look at a player any different because he won the FedEx Cup. Bill Hass, Billy Ho, Sneds, they all played well at the right time, it's not like anyone was going to confuse them for major champions of that year or player of the year caliber seasons.

I agree, I like it the way it currently is. I think match play would be fun to watch but does not decided the best player. We have seen through the few match play tournaments that match play and stroke play are two very different types of golf. Some guys excel at match play but suck at stroke play and vice versa.

I like this match play idea better than what they came up with!!!

After watching the State of the Tour address I kind of understand where they’re coming from. It makes sense and the data backs it up in 11/12 years. I also heard one of the golf reporters talking about how this diminishes the Tour Championship. I hadn’t considered that, but it really does. It turns a tournament into a finale for the FedEx Cup unless they do some rebranding.

I saw some analysis elsewhere (not mine!), that showed that you'd have to go back to 2011 for the new format to have changed the FedEx Cup champion. 2008 is the only other year that would have changed.

So maybe this isn't the worst thing after all. Especially if it makes it easier for more casual fans to understand the outcome (compared to points).

Back