Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SkiBumGolfer

Tremendous slouch
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
When I was at my Trackman fitting the other week, I discovered that my 6i swing speed averages around 86mph, while my driver swing speed averages only around 96mph. This is odd to me, as I would expect that I could achieve a bigger difference given the longer shaft length. I'm going to address it in my next lesson, which I plan to have in the next few weeks, as I feel like technique may be sapping some speed from my driver swing.

However, that got me wondering what other folks' numbers are on here and how consistent the difference is. SO:

What is your 6i SS? 86mph
What is your driver SS? 96mph
6i / Driver ratio 90%

I've also included a poll to see where people fall on the ratio, so we can get a visual.

My 6i/driver ratio is about 84%

I totally guessed! I'll have to check it out the next time I'm on an analyzer.

Going by the numbers from a fitting a year ago, it is 83%, so I rounded up for the survey answer to 85%

If I remember correctly i'm 80 to 85%, drover swing speed 104mph 5 iron I think 87?

I was told there would be no math on here

I had to guess, because I haven't been on a monitor with a 6 iron in so long. But Somewhere in between 80-85%. It was previously 92 and 112, My gut tells me it is more like 88/108 now, if not a bit slower.

I would certainly expect to see a bigger split than you see. 86 is pretty up there with a 6 iron, I would have thought you would be over 100 for sure.

Actual answer though I believe I come in right about 80%

I'm in the 80 to 85 percent group. SS isn't everything. I only go about 85 to 90 percent on every swing. You have to have something left in the tank for the must have times.

Where's the box for "No freaking idea"? I need to go to a reliable shop and get on a monitor. Last year my 6i swing speed, measured by the Mizuno optimizer, was 84 mph. Again, last year I was measured at a local shop having a driver swing speed of 89-91 mph. Those seem really too close together. Then I went recently and my 6i swing speed was measured at 74mph, a full 10mph less than it was half a year ago.

Color me confused.

I went with 85% and it was a completely blind guess

I had to guess, because I haven't been on a monitor with a 6 iron in so long. But Somewhere in between 80-85%. It was previously 92 and 112, My gut tells me it is more like 88/108 now, if not a bit slower.

I would certainly expect to see a bigger split than you see. 86 is pretty up there with a 6 iron, I would have thought you would be over 100 for sure.

This would be my expectation as well, which is why I want to take it up with my instructor.

I'm in the 80 to 85 percent group. SS isn't everything. I only go about 85 to 90 percent on every swing. You have to have something left in the tank for the must have times.

Very good point, totally agree. However, my results were on smooth swings - I wasn't trying to crush it with the 6i or anything, and the same can be said for the driver. So that makes me think I probably have something to gain on driver.

I'm in the 85% (85/98) group last time I checked. I think that's about the right ratio.

Last time I did a fitting a few years ago, my 6i SS is true #internetgolfer style. Not sure what it is now. Compared to my driver it's about 87%. (I used a calculator).

Last time I did a fitting a few years ago, my 6i SS is true #internetgolfer style. Not sure what it is now. Compared to my driver it's about 87%. (I used a calculator).

So did I, don't feel bad :D

Capture.jpg 80%

6I is 82 MPH
Driver is 98-100 MPH

Last edited:
95 and 115, so 82.5% for me

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Seems like 80-85% is the prevailing ratio...I need to get my driver figured out! Based on an 85% ratio I should be swinging at 101, and if we go to 80 I could top 105.

83% here.

Seems I'm in a similar spot SBG. 79/90 = 87.8%. I went with 90 for the poll.

Driver SS: 108
6i SS: 95

88%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back