Best stand bag for my needs? (specifics inside)

roenie

Reaction score
Handicap
High
Hey guys, first post! :D

My hand-me-down stand bag, which was quite good, gave up the ghost. The base shattered to pieces. I need a new one, and quick. Never having used any stand bag other than that old one, I ordered a Cobra Ultralight (2018) in good faith because of MGS's glowing review in their "best stand bags of 2018" write-up. I had to send it back, it was so bad.

I use a stand bag when I just go to the range, when I'm playing a par 3 course, when I don't really need all 14 clubs, and when the course is too muddy for the push cart. I want it to be good at these things:

1. Getting clubs in & out easily and smoothly. Club resistance is SO annoying, and I use textured midsize grips.
  2. Comfortable to carry for 18 holes.
  3. Leg mechanism on the outside, no kinking the base (see "things I didn't like about the Cobra", below).
  4. Light weight. I'm a featherweight myself and carry difficulty is determined by weight compared to body weight.
  5. Insulated pocket that can hold a half litre bottle of water (= 17 oz.)
  6. Feet on the legs, so they don't sink into the mud. Courses get very soggy here in autumn/winter.
  7. Some dividers, but not 14.
  8. A big enough pocket for a vest/jacket.
  9. Needs to hold 9 clubs comfortably. 14 is a bonus, but not strictly necessary.
    It's not like I can carry that for 18 holes, but there may be times when I'd want a full set in there.
  10. See 1. Seriously.

Things I didn't like about the Cobra Ultralight:
You kink the bag's base to pop out the legs, causing outer bag fabric to fold inward, thwarting any attempt at club placement in the lower half of the bag. All the clubs bunch up in a small portion of the bag's base, all pressing against either side of a single divider, because there's no divider between the lower and middle sections. The legs slap against the bag with every spirited step you take - tested just walking around the house with some clubs in the bag. Its insulated pocket has insulation on one side, but it's got an open top, and no insulation on all the other sides: utterly pointless pocket.

So I ask, fellow hackers, what bag is the one?

Last edited:
Hey guys, first post! :D

My hand-me-down stand bag, which was quite good, gave up the ghost. The base shattered to pieces. I need a new one, and quick. Never having used any stand bag other than that old one, I ordered a Cobra Ultralight (2018) in good faith because of MGS's glowing review in their "best stand bags of 2018" write-up. I had to send it back, it was so bad.

I use a stand bag when I just go to the range, when I'm playing a par 3 course, when I don't mind playing with half a set of clubs, and when the course is too muddy for the push cart. I want it to be good at these things:

1. Getting clubs in & out easily and smoothly. Club resistance is SO annoying, and I use textured midsize grips.
  2. Comfortable to carry on the course
  3. Leg mechanism on the outside, no kinking the base (see "things I didn't like about the Cobra", below).
  4. Light weight. I'm a featherweight myself and carry difficulty is determined by weight compared to body weight.
  5. Insulated pocket that can hold a half litre bottle of water (= 17 oz.)
  6. Feet on the legs, so they don't sink into the mud. Courses get very soggy here in autumn/winter.
  7. Some dividers, but not 14.
  8. A big enough pocket for a vest/jacket.
  9. Needs to hold 9 clubs comfortably. 14 is a bonus, but not strictly necessary. It's not like I can carry that for 18 holes.
  10. See 1. Seriously.

Things I didn't like about the Cobra Ultralight:
You kink the bag's base to pop out the legs, causing outer bag fabric to fold inward, thwarting any attempt at club placement in the lower half of the bag. All the clubs bunch up in a small portion of the bag's base, all pressing against either side of a single divider, because there's no divider between the lower and middle sections. The legs slap against the bag with every spirited step you take - tested just walking around the house with some clubs in the bag. Its insulated pocket has insulation on one side, but it's got an open top, and no insulation on all the other sides: utterly pointless pocket.

So I ask, fellow hackers, what bag is the one?

I use the Sun Mountain C130. Mine has 14 dividers, but they probably have a comparable bag that's lighter with less dividers. I think the footpads on the legs would suffice for your needs and I think the foot is good. It has an insulated pocket that works well enough.

Welcome to THP!

Ahh yes, the quest for the perfect bag. It is a quest I have embarked on numerous times, only to be disappointed in some form or fashion by every bag. Based on your criteria, I think a Sun Mountain Three 5 would suit your needs particularly when it comes to clubs not tangling. SM is, as far as I know, one of the only bag manufacturers that has full length dividers, which makes a huge difference in getting clubs in and out of bags. That particular bag is quite light, has plenty of storage and a variety of color options. I currently have the 2018 Ping Hoofer (5 way top) and it has a lot of features I like, but using midsize grips the clubs tangle. At this point I'm just tired of swapping bags so I'm dealing with it until something demonstrably better shows up. Good luck!

Last edited:
Welcome to THP!

Ahh yes, the quest for the perfect bag. It is a quest I have embarked on numerous times, only to be disappointed in same form or fashion by every bag. Based on your criteria, I think a Sun Mountain Three 5 would suit your needs particularly when it comes to clubs not tangling. SM is, as far as I know, one of the only bag manufacturers that has full length dividers, which makes a huge difference in getting clubs in and out of bags. That particular bag is quite light, has plenty of storage and a variety of color options. I currently have the 2018 Ping Hoofer (5 way top) and it has a lot of features I like, but using midsize grips the clubs tangle. At this point I'm just tired of swapping bags so I'm dealing with it until something demonstrably better shows up. Good luck!

Trust in this man's struggles. He has the receipts to prove it and they are well documented on the forum.

SM 3.5 2019 bag -- looks good. The blue camo looks great. Well balanced and comfy. Pocket not insulated that I know. About 3.8 lbs without the top. This can be your range and carry bag - I may get one with the HUG belt.

SM 2.5+ great for what you want but the balance is questionable if your bag is bottom heavy with water and balls. Some order the EZ Straps with this bag for better balance. I have one and for 9-10 clubs or a full bag, it does work as a liteweight 2.8 lbs. But watch the balance. I'm 60 and carried it on my back a weekend ago - 14 clubs, 9 balls, 1 liter of water, a snack, rangefinder, glove, assorted things in valuables pocket. No issues other than I was drinking water to get it to half-full to lighten the load and balance.

Best stand bag for my needs? (specifics inside)

The sun mountain bags are very good, I’ve got an ogio I like a lot, I can’t recall the model off hand (I know I know. I’m a terrible gear head) but the legs droop when carrying and that gets a bit annoying.

I’d say the SM 3.5 or 2.5 is probably better for your use case.

If you get an Ogio bag with the woode divider system, you’ll not look at anything else again.

#FiberLaunch

If you get an Ogio bag with the woode divider system, you’ll not look at anything else again.

#FiberLaunch

If the Ogio bag doesn't fall apart... Had 2 that did and that was enough. Legs falling off the bag. Call QC!

If the Ogio bag doesn't fall apart... Had 2 that did and that was enough. Legs falling off the bag. Call QC!

I’ve not had that issue but then mine lives on a pushcart. Seeing as though ogio is now owned by Callaway, I would expect some decent customer service if there were any out of the ordinary problems.

#FiberLaunch

I have owned a couple of Ogio vapor lites's with the woode top. They are nice and I got many years of service out of them. I too am a mid to jumbo grip guy and had minimal problems with tangling of clubs. Both bags eventually developed tears near the base of the traps after 4 to 5 years of service. I would buy again if I c I uld find one in a color I like.

The Taylormade flex tech stand bag I got to test here on THP was pretty legit. Pretty light for a bigger carry bag, with tons of storage. They make a lighter version called the flex lite, but I don't think at has as much storage space.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Lots of recommendations for the SM 3.5. Therefore, a 3.5 LS is now on its way here. The price hurt at €215 plus 20 for the Zero G belt but the belt is perfect for my often sore/stiff trapezius muscles. The bag was nowhere to be found in this country's online golf stores, even the largest physical store that also happens to have a website. They all stock only the H2NO Lite (at an even higher price) so I had to order from the UK. (I avoid carrying in the rain anyway as there's no place for an umbrella holder.) It'll probably take a week or so before the bag gets here. I'll report back once I've got used to the bag a little. People who write that sort of thing never actually do report back to the forums. I'm not one of those people so stay subscribed to the thread if you're interested.

Thanks for the great help.

The Taylormade flex tech stand bag I got to test here on THP was pretty legit.
Big talk about that which has no feet and a collapsible base instead of an external leg mechanism. ;-) Much cheaper at around €157, but playing below sea level in the wet seasons it may tip over and get all muddy and disgusting. And then it has to go back on your back. A collapsible base makes club management awkward, at least it did for the Cobra Ultralight I got to briefly check out. All the butt ends shift when you place/pick up the bag and the outer fabric has to fold inward, blocking club space. IMO the Flex Tech almost has too many small pockets. Also, I had to trust in mr.hicksta's struggles. When multiple people with much more experience than I say the same thing, I do as I'm told. Sometimes. I appreciate the suggestion though. I had no idea that bag existed.

Last edited:
The SM 3.5 arrived today. First impressions:

Pros:

• The full length dividers are quality and work as advertised. Adding and removing clubs is a breeze.
  • Noticeably lighter than the Cobra Ultralight, ironically.
  • Great pocket for a bottle.
  • Rangefinder pocket.
  • Umbrella holder (I wouldn't carry one without a push cart anyway, though).
  • A place on the outside to stick some tees.
  • Rain hood is made of relatively tough material.

Cons:
  • Shoulder straps padding too stiff, rigid (non conforming) straps, and too wide for my shoulders.
  • No quick release to remove the shoulder straps. (Unlike Cobra's bag)
  • Cheap plastic feel to top handle, leg mounts, base.
    A rubber top handle grip would've been heavier, of course.
  • Single zipper on the ball pocket, rather than dual.
  • When the bag is picked up, one of the legs squeezes the back edge of the apparel pocket between it and the bag, so the leg won't fold all the way unless I pull the pocket out of the way while lifting.

The shoulder straps create painful pressure points on my bony shoulders. Do the straps soften up over time? I can't really see myself carrying this bag without the Zero G belt taking some weight off the shoulders. The Cobra bag was definitely more comfortable in that regard (but useless as a bag for clubs).

Unfortunately the Zero G belt I got along with the bag is the standard M/L size and I hadn't paid attention to there being different sizes. SM being an American company I definitely need the S size. The listed waist size range for the S size belt is 86 - 116cm. My hips measure 80cm... or 86 if measured over the belt of my trousers. I can't compete with yanks and their mac 'n cheese.

I ordered the small size belt, again from the UK... from a different retailer this time as the one I bought the bag from doesn't stock this size. I really hope I can make it fit. If not, I might be back to square one.

If Cobra's Ultralight bag had more functional club storage space and proper dividers like the SM 3.5, it would have given the 3.5 a run for its money.

Last edited:
Got the Sun Mountain Zero G belt. It really does take a large amount of the weight off your shoulders and puts it on the hip area where it doesn't bother you at all. Your shoulders aren't made for top loading stuff onto, but your hips/pelvis are designed to carry weight on top of them in the form of your upper body, and you can feel the difference. I can see this working out very nicely. On course testing needed, but...would recommend.

For future reference, the S size at its shortest setting is too short even for this beanstalk so I highly doubt it'll be too long for anyone that ever reads this. The concern was unfounded as the belt seems to be able to go shorter than advertised.

Last edited:
Back