Amateur Astronomy

tanker337

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Anyone else have a telescope? I got a celestron 127mm reflector a few years ago. I upgraded to their nexstar 127 maksutov about a month ago. It's been a lot of fun having the goto computer guide me around the sky.

I dont, but have thought about it. Such a cool hobby.

Here is our Celestron NexStar:

eaad7e0e589e67aee5be876ed3ffbfb0.jpg

The ability to have it locate and track objects in the sky makes it so much fun to use.

Here is a shot of the moon just using a cell phone camera through the eye piece:

aca65802a386ca9a3b01a3d5f1c3002f.jpg

That is cool Howzat.

I was doing okay star hopping with binos, but it's a nice to be able to see a lot of different things on nights where I might only have an hour of viewing time.

Here is a shot of the moon just using a cell phone camera through the eye piece:

aca65802a386ca9a3b01a3d5f1c3002f.jpg
Nice shot!

Do you have one of those phone holder attachments or did you take it by hand?

Nice shot!

Do you have one of those phone holder attachments or did you take it by hand?
I just took it by hand. I need to spend some more time with the telescope and get some attachments to make things easier.

Just got the In-laws a Celestron Astromaster 114 for Christmas, don't think they have played with it yet but I'm excited to hear how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy Walker is big time into it and takes photos from remote telescopes. There was a segment on inside the PGA tour about it. Of course having that kind of money may have something to do with it.

I saw that segment about Jimmy Walker too.

I just took it by hand. I need to spend some more time with the telescope and get some attachments to make things easier.

I am surprised the latest telescopes aren't taking images yet. The one you have allow you put in coordinates to get a look at different things?

I am surprised the latest telescopes aren't taking images yet. The one you have allow you put in coordinates to get a look at different things?
Yes. It will take you on a guided tour of the sky if you want as well as hundreds of stars and constellations. They do make camera adapters and I am sure they have higher end models with a camera included.

They don't partly because the type of camera and methods of taking images changes drastically based on what you're trying to shoot.

Jupiter is at opposition (nearest the earth) on March 9th, so it'll be about as big as its going to be all week this week.

I like to sit in the hottub right at twilight and relax and look for satellites and meteors if the time is right. The sun being set reflects off the satellites and lights them up against the dark eastern sky.

Tonight I spot a satellite going north/south but not polar. And then another behind it, and then another, etc. Maybe 8-10 in a row evenly spaced. Never seen that before.

I figured it was the Starlink satellites that have been launching recently. And after looking online they were. Pretty cool to see.

I had an 8" Dob that I got rid of a year or so ago, had a 114mm Newt before that. Still pondering a new telescope, using binoculars for easy stuff for now. I think my next one will have the goto feature, just haven't decided which one yet.

For those who don't already know about it, here's a great place to get sky charts to help you find what's visible and what to look at: skymaps.com

They do - but astrophotography can be a deep (and expensive!) rabbit hole to go down!

I've always wanted a telescope. I also would love to someday try my hand at astro photography. Jimmy Walker is a big fan, and some of his work is really great.

Saw the train of Starlink satellites again tonight. Figured they would be in place already.

Back