9/11 Never Forget

emart2173

#journey2017
Reaction score
Handicap
This date always sux for me and for it to fall on a Tuesday makes it even suckier. The naval command I worked at lost 8 colleagues in one office at The Pentagon one of which was a friend of mine and his wife was a person I was served with then worked along side with as a contractor and both her and her husband were friends of my supervisor who had just come from being assigned to that office. I’ll never forget her face when she heard what part of the building was hit. She knew right away it was bad for our friends and colleagues.

It’s a day I will never forget and a feeling that will never leave me. I remember like it was yesterday where I was, what we were doing and even the thoughts we all shared as soon as we watched live as the second plane hit.

To all those who gave their lives on that day: You will never be forgotten.

I remember where I was and what I was doing, I made a call to a friend who worked in The Pentagon that I had served with and am still good friends with today. Luckily he was not in that part of the building.
Hopefully nothing ever happens like this again. Hopefully people will never forget.

I remember hoping my dad wasn't in DC that day. I remember the brain stall and panic I experienced like it was yesterday. Thankfully he was 11 blocks away. I remember the confusion and the dysphoria in our high school as the news reporter the attacks.

A few years ago, I was able to go to the ground zero memorial in NYC. They did an immaculate job and it's one of the most awesome inspiring yet sobering feelings in the world to walk through the memorial. Seeing the faces and hearing their families tell you who those people were beyond their names...seeing the bravery of firefighters, police and first responders...seeing the urn with every name engraved and the names light up at night near the fountains...seeing the steel cross that remained when everything else came crashing down.

It's an visit every American should make. We'll never forget! 9/11

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

It's a day for me that I can still recall everything I was doing and where I was when I heard about the attack.

The world seemed to stand still that day.

Never Forget

I remember the confusion after the first tower was hit. It was a clear day, initial reports said it was a small commuter plane. It didn't make any sense. Then the second plane crashed. I immediately got a call from a friend: "We are under attack."

I also remember being at work. The husband of a peer is a structural engineer. He called her and she reported that he said the heat from the jet fuel fires would bring the towers down.

Another memeory: a friend was in NY for a meeting, maybe a block or two away. He reported seeing bodies fly past the window of his conference room...the jumpers. My God, how horrible.

Still vividly remember where I was and what I was doing that day. Lost a family friend that day, a firefighter with one of the first unit's to respond.

As dacatalyst said above, they did a good job with the memorial. I was able to visit the first year it was opened, even before the museum was completely finished. It was somber, emotional and reminded me of my visit to Pearl Harbor.

If you have never watched the 12 minute doc "Boatlift" narrated by Tom Hanks, please do yourselves a favor and watch. It's what I use each year with my AP kids when we discuss 9/11 because its such a different, yet still heart wrenching, perspective than they get from the "usual" documentaries.

I was at the office, listening on the radio, and chatting on an Audi Forum. Some of the members were in the Towers. When I heard the news, I got to a TV, looked, and went back into my office. Some of the forum members in the Towers were wondering what to do as they were being told to stay -- having seen it, I urged them to get the heck out of there ... right now.

Was transfixed by the television and the silence in the skies. DFW has a lot of aircraft in the area - not that day or week. It was an odd, sad week, but a sense of togetherness was felt.

I remember the next week we had a charity golf tournament for my high school and it did not go well - everyone was so uncertain about what would happen next.

As long as we remember, no one will be forgotten.

If you have never watched the 12 minute doc "Boatlift" narrated by Tom Hanks, please do yourselves a favor and watch. It's what I use each year with my AP kids when we discuss 9/11 because its such a different, yet still heart wrenching, perspective than they get from the "usual" documentaries.

Checking it out when I get home. Thank you sir.

As a veteran who served when the towers came down, this day will always be tough. I'm not gonna say I was special or that I was in combat because I wasn't. I had the "easy" life of working in a passenger terminal in Germany moving hundreds, sometimes thousands, of troops every day for nearly 2 years after the attack. I will never forget the looks on their faces when they headed down, many younger than I was (and I was only 25 then), not knowing what they were in for... and I'll never forget the looks on their faces when they came back through headed home. The latter was a look of mixed emotions... some joy for being out of country, but some sorrow because you know they lost one of their unit, one of their family, one of their buddies.

I did make it to the 9/11 Memorial on Veteran's Day 2016 and it is most definitely moving. I have also been to the Arizona Memorial several times and it's equally moving. I was saddened, frustrated, and a bit upset at the mocking laughter in the moving preceding the trip over to the Arizona Memorial. Hopefully, we never have to deal with similar actions at the 9/11 Memorial.
9ea6f41812dceab6c45250427de7532c.jpg
27c69dab908c00289cf1764c0b2ac34a.jpg
da4d759216856c701d8915f12217a46f.jpg

Was in Spanish II as a Freshman when we became aware what was going on our teacher just turned on the news and it was crazy to believe this was actually happening.

My Uncle was on his way in the subway to the WTC for a job since he was an electrician. The subway stopped and people were let out at the nearest stop to get away. Crazy how life works. Never Forget the people who passed and the first responders who risked their own lives.

I was working in the Harbor that morning and at first there was an order for everyone to stay put in the harbor where ever they were.
Then the broadcast came out for all vessels to come and evacuate the city.
On my tug we would carry 40-50 people,, sometimes more at a time to different locations in Jersey, Long Island or Staten island. It went on all day long.
We ran people until it was dark, had to have been a few thousand as we never stopped. That night we were called to the site to carry supplies and workers from Jersey City back to Manhatten. Walking ground zero, the smells, the sights, the bodies being carried out of the pile. Things I will never forget. The only way to describe it was like a movie scene. It was beyond surreal and past any comprehension of how this much destruction could happen so quickly.
I will also never forget the countless faces and their brief stories as we ferried them around. Bits and pieces haunted me for years until I wrote a book to put everything down in my own sort of way. I never published it and only let certain people read it but it's something that lives with you forever.
Last year I finally went to the memorial. I had a feeling I just couldnt shake. A presence or ominous feeling. I was in the bottom of the memorial when I simply just had to leave. As I got outside I started to dry heave and vomit,, I couldn't catch my breath. I have since been all around the neighborhood but I'll never go into the memorial again.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I was working in the Harbor that morning and at first there was an order for everyone to stay put in the harbor where ever they were.
Then the broadcast came out for all vessels to come and evacuate the city.
On my tug we would carry 40-50 people,, sometimes more at a time to different locations in Jersey, Long Island or Staten island. It went on all day long.
We ran people until it was dark, had to have been a few thousand as we never stopped. That night we were called to the site to carry supplies and workers from Jersey City back to Manhatten. Walking ground zero, the smells, the sights, the bodies being carried out of the pile. Things I will never forget. The only way to describe it was like a movie scene. It was beyond surreal and past any comprehension of how this much destruction could happen so quickly.
I will also never forget the countless faces and their brief stories as we ferried them around. Bits and pieces haunted me for years until I wrote a book to put everything down in my own sort of way. I never published it and only let certain people read it but it's something that lives with you forever.
Last year I finally went to the memorial. I had a feeling I just couldnt shake. A presence or ominous feeling. I was in the bottom of the memorial when I simply just had to leave. As I got outside I started to dry heave and vomit,, I couldn't catch my breath. I have since been all around the neighborhood but I'll never go into the memorial again.

I cannot fathom.

If you'd ever consider talking it skypibg with a group of AP kids, please let me know. If not, I totally understand.

I cannot fathom.

If you'd ever consider talking it skypibg with a group of AP kids, please let me know. If not, I totally understand.
I could do that. We could possibly set something up while I'm hone. There are some excerpts from the book that could be read before hand to give a grasp of what it was like in the moment.

It was morning on the west coast, I had just woken up (I was in high school at the time). Turn on the TV, it was a few minutes after the 2nd Tower collapsed. I thought oh this is a weird movie to be playing in the morning. Next channel, same thing. Then I thought OK this isn't a movie, maybe one of those David Copperfield illusions that everybody must be raving about. Next channel, same thing. Again and again, almost every channel had a news network feed of the aftermath.

The thing that sticks out the most for me is the jumpers, and the impact sound of their bodies echoing

Rest well my brothers and sisters who gave the ultimate sacrifice to save others. You will never be forgotten. I promise.

I have posted this before I think, but a wonderful video of 1 of the many true heroes of that day. Strongly recommend watching. This one always hits home with me as he was from my alma mater. I still remember almost every detail of that awful day. It's important to never forget.

That was a great watch, thanks for that.

It's really sad....but I wish as Americans we could go back to remembering how we felt that day in a weird kind of way. I just remember feeling such a strong bond as American people....to think that we're where we are now, worse than ever before, is really sad because the days after the attacks on 9/11 we bonded together as a one nation. Sad that it took that and even sadder that we've forgotten that a million times over. I hate it.

This day is extremely emotional for many, I will never forget just staring at the TV with pure shock in my mind. Sad indeed....on so many levels.

I semi remember where I was, I think a junior in high school and was getting ready for gym class. I remember going to my aunt's house because school closed, and just seeing the clips/news play over and over again

I was graduating in 2003 while the war was in full swing. I was all ready to enlist with friends but never followed through. A couple buddies went on to be corpsmen, and unfortunately ones chopper was shot down a couple years after.

Too many lives lost that day and in the years after.

May we Never forget

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

9/11 Never Forget

As seen in the Cabellas parking lot a few minutes ago

200672c4f664856f6a756ffca361d57c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watch out for the onion cutting ninjas...

Attachments

• 21432952_10215144948565826_1997953305092957967_n.jpg
    21432952_10215144948565826_1997953305092957967_n.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
I also always remember the people on United flight 93. True heroism in the face of pure horror. Mark Bingham - a fellow Cal Bear - was one of them that fought back. #neverforget.

Back