Best Player with One Major

If my count is correct, there are 8 guys on the list who were world #1: Couples, Lehman, Duval, Scott, Day, Rose, DJ and JT. DJ has 19 PGA Tour wins, Couples has 15, Duval 13, Scott 13 (10 in Europe), Day 12, Rosie 9 (11 in Europe), JT 9 and Lehman 5.

I'd go with a top 4 of DJ, Rosie, Day and JT. Of the chances to win another or more, I think it is: JT, Rosie, Day and DJ, in that order.

Duval had the unfortunate luck of being good at the same time as Tiger

Duval had the unfortunate luck of being good at the same time as Tiger

I was about to say, it was hard to win a major during his prime - much less 2 of them.

The best ever is Fred Couples IMO, the best right now is Dustin Johnson.

When I think of lists like this, I tend to exclude people who won recently, as a lot of people on that list could legitimately still win another. So I'll go back to Oosthuizen, and look at the list from there and back. Best player from the list, at their prime, David Duval. He could golf his ball, and had he not got injured and in his head, he could have rivaled Tiger for that generation. Overall, I'd say either Couples or Love III as the best players over their career on that list.

I'm surprised there's no more mention of Furyk, even as a lower choice. I heard a stat on him recently that blew my mind, so I had to go look it up. In 589 PGA tournaments (and counting), he has been in the top 10 184 times (almost a third) and only missed the cut 105 times.

Of course, I guess that could be viewed as a negative also - 17 wins out of 184 top tens.

I say Jason Day. He has lots of time.

I think its DJ, but I also think hes the least intelligent among that group.

Fred Couples & DL3 historically speaking...
Currently DJ is the best player with only 1 major...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David Duval !!!

I don’t see DJ has what it takes to be Major winner. He hit the ball mile but I seldom see him make any championship type a shot. Impossible chip in or bunker shots or putts. He’s fun to watch but I don’t consider him as underachiever. He is what he is. Modern day John Daly. Maybe lack of motivation? He looks like he’s ok being runner up.

For the past 10 years DJ has 20 wins, including a US Open, and in the Majors, 15 top 10 finishes.
John Daly had a 25 year PGA Tour career with 5 wins, including a PGA and British Open.

Back