Best Player with One Major

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Lots of talk about best players without a major victory, but the list of players with a single major win is impressive. Here are just the names as of 1992

Fred Couples
Tom Kite
Paul Azinger
Corey Pavin
Steve Ilkington
Steve Jones
Tom Lehman
Mark Brooks
Justin Leonard
Davis Love III
Paul Lawrie
David Duval
Jim Furyk
David Toms
Rich Beem
Mike Weir
Ben Curtis
Shaun Micheel
Todd Hamilton
Michael Campbell
Geoff Ogilvy
Trevor Immelman
Lucas Glover
Stewart Cink
YE Yang
GMac
Louis Oosthuizen
Charl Schwartzel
Darren Clarke
Keegan Bradly
Webb Simpson
Adam Scott
Justin Rose
Jason Dufner
Jason Day
Danny WIllett
Dustin Johnson
Henrik Stenson
Jimmy Walker
Sergio Garcia
Justin Thomas
Patreick Reed
F. Molinari

One of the worst things you can be called at the end of the day is an underachiever. There are a lot of names on this list that should have won more than one major.

You've got to go with DJ, but maybe he will work his way off of this list.

David Duvall, Davis Love III, and Tom Kite stand out to me.

Probably Day. Atleast I think he has the potential to be.

Hard to pick the best for me because there are some damn good players on that list.

I'm going to go with these guys....Tom Kite, DL3, DJ, Rose. I do think the last 2 I named will pick up more majors in the future.

Last edited:
Has to be DJ doesn't it?

I'm a huge Stenson and Couples fan, so my inclination goes this route despite knowing better.

However, I'm going to say Rose. Olympic Gold metal, US Open, 20 Euro/PGA wins. That's a good resume. Add a Tour Championship & FedEx Cup to that and tough to argue against it.

Hard to pick the best for me because there are some damn good players on that list.

I'm going to go with these guys....Tom Kite, DL3, DJ. I do think the last 2 I named will pick up more majors in the future.

You think DL3 has majors in his future? Is that Champions Tour majors or PGA Tour majors haha.

Kite or DJ. Hard to compare guys from different times, but one of them would be my pick.

1) DJ
2) JT
3) JR
4) JD

#TeamTaylorMade

DJ is my pick.

You think DL3 has majors in his future? Is that Champions Tour majors or PGA Tour majors haha.

Crap I thought I typed Rose in there at the end haha

That's a pretty impressive list and its a tough choice but I have to go with DJ. I think he gets a couple more but right now I'm going with him

Rose, DJ, Kite and DL3 are the players that stick put to me. DD and JT not far behind.

DJ and Rose...allthough both will win at least another before their time comes to an end.
Id have DL3 up there as well

Kite and Duvall will probably get overlooked a bit but they were insanely good to have only won once. Among the more modern golfers, I generally agree with what everyone else says.

Kind of tough as many of the players on the list aren't playing any longer, while some have obvious potential to continue their winning ways.

That in mind...
Active players: DJ and Rosey
Champions player: Couples

Current players: DJ And Rose. I think JT is actually the best one of them, but he hasn't been playing long enough yet and have no doubt he'll get more.
Former Players: DL3 and Duval, followed by Couples

Jason Day stands out to me, he was always in the top ten for a long time and just couldn't finish. I think he will come back around and win a couple majors.

I'm not picking active PGA players since those guys can still win a second.

I'm going with Fred Couples, Corey Pavin and David Duval. I was really surprised that Freddie and David didn't win more than 1 during their careers, and I was a big Corey fan back in the day; that guy could move a golf ball like no other.

I think DJ has the game to be the best of this group for sure especially comparing his game against the guys from a couple decades ago and the length of the courses they played. Fred Couples would be close to a nod from me too

DJ
Fred Couples
David Duval

I gotta go with...

Dustin Johnson
Justin Rose
Jason Day

Many of these names are one hit wonders. Tough to go with someone like DJ who is still in his prime and has many majors ahead of him so I'll go with either Freddy or DL3.

Pure talent...DJ has got to be the answer.

I don’t see DJ has what it takes to be Major winner. He hit the ball mile but I seldom see him make any championship type a shot. Impossible chip in or bunker shots or putts. He’s fun to watch but I don’t consider him as underachiever. He is what he is. Modern day John Daly. Maybe lack of motivation? He looks like he’s ok being runner up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back