Crap- mods, sorry - posted in the wrong section. Can you either close it or move to the appropriate section?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good story. Absolutely one of my favorite players. Really pumped hes on the squad.

Tony is going to be a birdie machine in fourball. I like Xander a lot, but I was going to be really disappointed if Tony wasn't on the team.

I'm glad Finua got picked. I've been a fan of his since he was on the Big Break.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

The Finaus live in the Salt Lake City area. Tony has a brother named “Gipper.” Their dad used to take them to practice all the time at a particular course, called “Rose Park.” One evening between 15 and 20 years ago, I went to that course to play 9 holes and ended up paired with them. The boys’ dad walked along, but didn’t play. They were the nicest young men.

I was much younger and stronger then and could hit the ball further than the two boys. So, to this day, I can say I out drove Tony Finau. Ha ha :act-up:

You could tell, even then, that they were both going to be incredible. If memory serves, Gipper was supposed to be the better player of the two, but he has not made it. I love their story and all of us from Utah cheer him on.

The Finaus live in the Salt Lake City area. Tony has a brother named “Gipper.” Their dad used to take them to practice all the time at a particular course, called “Rose Park.” One evening between 15 and 20 years ago, I went to that course to play 9 holes and ended up paired with them. The boys’ dad walked along, but didn’t play. They were the nicest young men. You could tell, even then, that they were both going to be incredible. If memory serves, Gipper was supposed to be the better player of the two, but he has not made it. I love their story and all of us from Utah cheer him on.

That’s such a cool anecdote. I didn’t know about his background or upbringing, only that I like his game, the way he carries himself, and that I like Ping tour players. He truly is a guy to cheer for - such an incredible story.

My father in law and I talk about him from Big Break all the time, but I had no idea about the rest of his back story. It makes his rise even more impressive and I'm pulling for him to win his first major.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The Finaus live in the Salt Lake City area. Tony has a brother named “Gipper.” Their dad used to take them to practice all the time at a particular course, called “Rose Park.” One evening between 15 and 20 years ago, I went to that course to play 9 holes and ended up paired with them. The boys’ dad walked along, but didn’t play. They were the nicest young men.

I was much younger and stronger then and could hit the ball further than the two boys. So, to this day, I can say I out drove Tony Finau. Ha ha :act-up:

You could tell, even then, that they were both going to be incredible. If memory serves, Gipper was supposed to be the better player of the two, but he has not made it. I love their story and all of us from Utah cheer him on.

cool story! very few people can say they out-drove Tony! and you're correct- Gipper is more athletic and was expected to be better than Tony. Hopefully his game comes around and they both can dominate the tour.

It's really hard not to root for a guy like this. He seems so gracious and likeable, and reading about what he went through as a kid leaves no doubt at all regarding his toughness. So glad to see him get picked, I think he'll be an absolute terror for the Euros.

Last edited:
Must be the football player/wrestler in me, but probably my favorite thing about him is that he played after dislocating his ankle in the par 3 tourney, and even played well. What a badass!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

What a great story. I've also been a big Tony Finau fan since the Big Break. As a parent, I'm most impressed at the way his parents nourished his and Gipper's interest in golf despite a lack of knowledge and resources. The sacrifices they made for he and his brother are heartwarming. I don't know where Gipper is now, but to see Tony have so much success and remain so grounded speaks volumes to his character, undoubtedly learned by example from exceptional parenting.

Now go kick some a$$ in Paris!

This is really cool! I didn't know anything about Finau, but I'm really pulling for him now! Thanks for posting this thread.

Whiskey

Must be the football player/wrestler in me, but probably my favorite thing about him is that he played after dislocating his ankle in the par 3 tourney, and even played well. What a badass!

That was SO badass.

Can’t wait to see who he gets paired with in few weeks. Maybe Phil or bubba or Rickie.

phenomenal story. the american dream, for sure. go tony!

Seems like just a real good dude, great addition to the team

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Same! I like to see "manly toughness" type stuff. He didn't even lie down and wail. Just popped that sucker back in and went about his day.

I hope I'd do the same if I ever got a chance to play Augusta.

That was nuts. One of the craziest things I've seen in golf.

Pretty incredible stay here considering he hasn’t won.....
64aa5c4639e80edb9a170231b0716ece.jpg

Finau is quickly becoming one of my favorites out there. No drama, just plays golf and is fun to watch. I don’t think that I have ever heard or seen him complaining about much of anything and seems like he really enjoys it all.

Finau is quickly becoming one of my favorites out there. No drama, just plays golf and is fun to watch. I don’t think that I have ever heard or seen him complaining about much of anything and seems like he really enjoys it all.

I'm with you. He just seems like such as nice guy and I'll always pull for the guys like that.

Back