PING G Drivers Preview

I look forward to taking some hacks with this one.

Yes I want to try this. Very interesting approach and I want to see if the tech works.

I like this driver, but I feel Ping is still way behind the times when it comes to their drivers being adjustable.

This one looks phenomenal. I love the crown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I currently have the G30 SF Tec and it helped my FIR greatly. Definitely want to hit this one and see how much better it might be.

I guess the G SF TEC has more draw bias than the G30. I also read the G series launches higher with more spin so us 12 degree guys might want to loft down. I hope to catch a Ping Demo day or take the 120 mile drive up to Ping in Phoenix to get fit.

I like this driver, but I feel Ping is still way behind the times when it comes to their drivers being adjustable.

I think that comes w/ their focus on fitting - the adjustability is there for small tweaks within a given loft/head style. They expect everyone to get fitted for their clubs, even though we know that doesn't always happen...

I think that comes w/ their focus on fitting - the adjustability is there for small tweaks within a given loft/head style. They expect everyone to get fitted for their clubs, even though we know that doesn't always happen...

I agree with this, although I still think they are pretty far behind in the entire aspect.
I think they were ahead of the curve for a long time in discussing and talking about fitting and in some ways brought on the movement. Now every company is speaking of it, and in many cases offering more in the process.

In the end, I think they know they are targeting a Ping user and are fine doing so.

I agree with this, although I still think they are pretty far behind in the entire aspect.
I think they were ahead of the curve for a long time in discussing and talking about fitting and in some ways brought on the movement. Now every company is speaking of it, and in many cases offering more in the process.

In the end, I think they know they are targeting a Ping user and are fine doing so.

Yeah, they're not even touching what companies like Callaway/Cobra/TM are doing in terms of shaft selection. It's funny that they now offer less than most other folks when it comes from a fitting perspective. I remember when I was getting fit for a set of i25s and the TT XP 95s were among the better shafts, and they were something like a $20 upgrade. That's ridiculous in my opinion, considering where those sit in most other manufacturer's choices as a no upcharge option.

Having seen how well it works in other brands (Srixon/XXIO) as well, I do appreciate that they take a "whole club" approach with their shafts.

That said, I will continue to stick to my PING homerism :alien:

Yeah, they're not even touching what companies like Callaway/Cobra/TM are doing in terms of shaft selection. It's funny that they now offer less than most other folks when it comes from a fitting perspective. I remember when I was getting fit for a set of i25s and the TT XP 95s were among the better shafts, and they were something like a $20 upgrade. That's ridiculous in my opinion, considering where those sit in most other manufacturer's choices as a no upcharge option.

Having seen how well it works in other brands (Srixon/XXIO) as well, I do appreciate that they take a "whole club" approach with their shafts.

I agree with that too. There is a difference however, because XXIO is making their own shafts, where as PING is labeling a shaft, but they are built to certain specs.
I am a firm believer that PING has shown that the general consumer still does not care about what shaft is in their club.

last summer when I went to test other shafts for the g30, I was really surprised that the stock option ended up being best for me. Wouldn't surprise me this time to see the stock option performing well again.

I agree with that too. There is a difference however, because XXIO is making their own shafts, where as PING is labeling a shaft, but they are built to certain specs.
I am a firm believer that PING has shown that the general consumer still does not care about what shaft is in their club.

Yeah, the SRI brands take it to another level because they have the in-house shaft expertise.

I agree w/ that on shafts - I even find myself that way with driver shafts. I often find the stock pairing works the best for me. But I guess that shouldn't surprise me - they make that choice for a reason.

I know the G30 was a big seller and fit a ton of people but I got terrible numbers with it. I really wanted to like it as it was touted as very forgiving. I just didn't get along with it. I'll demo it and try to keep an open mind.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

just not sure I would be able to push my g30 ls tec out of the bag.

I'm sure like all Ping G Series, it will be a great driver for a lot of people. But dang, that thing is fugly.

I'm a big fan of their system. I like how simple it is but can see where your coming from.

Ive hit it today. Very forgiving (more so than my srixon z545), the tour 65s shaft gave me the best numbers. Sounded horrible compared to most other drivers Ive hit.
Very similar to the G30.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ive hit it today. Very forgiving (more so than my srixon z545), the tour 65s shaft gave me the best numbers. Sounded horrible compared to most other drivers Ive hit.
Very similar to the G30.

Well that is a bit disappointing for me to hear. Everything I'd seen said the sound was a pretty significant improvement from the g30.

I have a feeling this will be in my bag at some point this year. I am a sucker for a Ping driver.

Comparing photos of the G30 SF Tec to the G SF Tec, the G doesn't have the weight displaced as far towards the heel as the G30. I'm sort of surprised that it would even be a noticeable impact to the swing considering how little it appears to be moved off center.

Got to see and hit one with the same loft and shaft as my LSTec. In fact, hit one of those.

To me, the sound is slightly different, but only noticeable on direct comparison. I hit the G first, and my impression was that it was no different than the G38. They are much more similar than they are different. A few that were previously on the fence due to sound might be swayed, but I can't imagine that anyone that couldn't tolerate the sound of the G30 are going to be appeased by the G.

Looks wise, I've said plenty of times I'm a fan of clean crowns. I was surprised at how easily I accepted the turbulators. I was hoping that would be the case with the dragonfly ribs, but it was not.

On performance, the few swings I took didn't reveal any difference in distance or forgiveness. I'm not saying it's not there --- just that the testers swing wasn't consistent enough to discern them. Plenty good, but not a tremendous difference. I could have easily been comparing two models of the exact same club.

If any name but Ping's were on this driver it would be getting tons of buzz. G30 with all its market success is just a tough act to follow.

I suspect the Gs biggest competitor may prove to be the discounted G30 on the adjacent rack.

They had a winner with the G30 so I'm not surprised to see them stay with the same basic concept. I am very happy with mine and look forward to seeing if the newer model offers incremental or substantial improvement.

Very similar to the G30.

My reaction to the sound was that it was vastly improved over the G30 LS Tec that has been in the bag. Also saw some more toe forgiveness. Coming from your z545 I could see the sound being different however.

I hit the G LSTec yesterday on a GC2 and was very impressed with the feel, sound and the numbers looked great over my M1. I hit it with the Aldila Rogue Silver 60 and it sounded to me a little quieter and felt softer "sounded" softer.

I was impressed and will give it a shot come spring.

I hit the G LSTec yesterday on a GC2 and was very impressed with the feel, sound and the numbers looked great over my M1. I hit it with the Aldila Rogue Silver 60 and it sounded to me a little quieter and felt softer "sounded" softer.

I was impressed and will give it a shot come spring.

I hit it again as well again yesterday side by side with my G30 (outside). There is no question the sound is improved on the new G though it could sound like a trash can and I'd probably still order it for the performance it packs, a solid improvement over an already pretty darn good driver. I've ordered it, can't wait to bag it.

last summer when I went to test other shafts for the g30, I was really surprised that the stock option ended up being best for me. Wouldn't surprise me this time to see the stock option performing well again.

I have been through many fittings with Ping at the factory, on the range and in golf shops. The stock shafts work best for me.

Back