THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

When playing with a partner what kind of things do you want to hear from your partner? How much information do you give your partner?

Typically, when playing with a partner, I am the lesser talented member of the partnership. That is, the partner with the higher handicap. Accordingly, I perceive my partner as the captain of our team, where I serve a supporting role. My partner and I should have a genuine honest understanding of our respective strengths and weaknesses. Such understanding will give us the ability to best function as a single unit, so to speak. Therefore, I like a partner that will tell me what he wants me to do--should I play a shot aggressively, should I play a safe shot, should I play away from a pin, should I attack a pin, etc. Since I perceive my job as supporting them, I want to know how best to do so.

Conversely, outside of strategic discussions, unless asked, I remain in my supporting role and say very little. I just make sure my partner knows, I will have his back to the best of my ability.

What about yardages, reading putts, or where you would like to be for your next shot in an alt shot format?

Great point! If my partner likes a certain yardage, and I am comfortable enough to put in there, no brainer for me. Fun would come in if that is a yardage I wasn't comfortable hitting to, but where I was comfortable wouldn't be comfortable for him. That's where honest conversation would be paramount. As far as putting, I generally am comfortable reading putts, but sure wouldn't have a problem if my partner had a observation. And this is a big point for me - if we differ, whether I take his read, or mine, either way it's on me. No blame...

I will ask a partner to help with a particularly difficult read on the green or yardage if there is a strong wind or large elevation change. Outside of that I generally talk about things other than golf.

As for giving putts: make a few first to prove that you can. Then I'll start giving some, but only inside 2 feet.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Alright guys back on topic to the event.

How are you going to get to the point you feel you need to be in your golf game for this event?
One of the things I put a ton of stock in is how you are going to bring that to the forum ?

Kevin and I will have some choices and while I will not speak for him as far as I am concerned everyone on the Carolina's has a blank slate and needs to show the forum and their teammates their drive for this event.

I like it brother. If I were to add to it.

Showing the forum and those teammates is not only done with a club in your hand. I won't worry about post count, but I will look for relevance and substance. In other words "welcome to THP" isn't going to cut it.

T2GRN18/lightningbolt44:
Getting in a little late on this but I would be honored to throw my name on the DMV side for this Regional Rivalry event. I have debated if I could make the commitment, but after further introspection, I believe I could make a significant contribution to our DMV team.

How are you going to get to the point you feel you need to be in your golf game for this event?
The state of my game has deteriorated due to family obligations but more so being out of work for close to 2 years. I used to practice pretty much daily at the local driving range, get out anywhere from once to twice a week and sign up for 3-4 tournaments a year. I dropped my index down to a 7.8 and was looking forward to getting it down even lower, but life had a different plan for me. As a result, the lack of practice, lack of play (I think I played only 15 rounds last year) and the reduction of tournament play (last year was the first time I haven't played in any tournaments since I started golfing) ballooned my index somewhere in the 19-22 range. So, now I'm back working and as a result, I am able to once again devote time to golfing. While I'd love to say I can get my handicap back down to a 8, by the time RR comes around, I can maybe get it down to a 4 or 5 points. I'm not one of those natural athletes that can go several months then pick up a club and the swing is good to go. I'm one of those golfers that need to practice a lot to get my swing where I want it to be. I'm looking for consistency in my swing so that I can contribute to my playing partner and to the team overall.

One of the things I put a ton of stock in is how you are going to bring that to the forum ?
This is great question! I think making sure I post thoughtful and insightful responses to forum posts will allow me to show what I can bring to the DMV team. I usually can convey a sense of intensity when I respond, but also a laid back approach that can be relaxing when needed.

"Showing the forum and those teammates is not only done with a club in your hand. I won't worry about post count, but I will look for relevance and substance. In other words "welcome to THP" isn't going to cut it."
Glad to hear this!

Hmph, I deal with things sporting biohazard symbols all day. Childs play ...

I think we've got work hazards covered on the Carolina team between your biohazards and my missiles.....lol

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That is how I am as well. We all have good shots and bad I try not to get to high or low on myself for them and feel the same with a partner. I could be matched up with someone that is shooting a career worst and make the best of it. The reason for that in my mind is it could easily be me shooting my worst no need to pile on

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That would be my thoughts as well. If I'm working on a trouble spot in my swing, I may ask my partner to call me on it if he sees me regressing back to what I was doing before. Everything else is just friendly conversation.

When playing with a partner what kind of things do you want to hear from your partner? How much information do you give your partner?
What about yardages, reading putts, or where you would like to be for your next shot in an alt shot format?

Just general conversation can be about golf, THP, life, family, work, anything. Related to golf, generally just a good shot, you can get up and down from there, etc. I pretty much do the same unless asked for more. I am not a golf instructor and don't give swing advice. I may say something like you have the right club, just make your normal swing but that will be about it. Yardages are fine if he/she wants that information as well as my opinion on where to play a shot or what I think about the break of a putt. But I won't volunteer that information; but you can sense when input or a reassuring comment is wanted. Regarding where I would like the next shot to be in an alternate show, I would probably ask where they feel comfortable hitting the ball. There is no one answer, it just becomes how the two players play off of each other.

MANY of the courses down here have "warnings" like that in the cart nothing we havent seen before :alien:

Yeah but do they have bad ass pirate skull and crossbones on them.:alien2:

I like my partner to say positive things obviously, but I like a partner who will tell me to pull my head out of butt and put that bad shot behind me and keep moving forward. Any kind of talk as we ride together is cool, I enjoy conversation and can be a talker so. As for information I like my partner to talk distances and to talk out putts with me. We may not see the same line but the final decision on what I hit lays in my hands. I also don't mind a partner who will sometimes ask what type of shot I am thinking of hitting and talk the shot out with me. To give a better example at the Legacy when riding with Shakey he would say things like hey hit the shot your are comfortable with, or is taking that shot worth the risk or would you be better playing smart. I really like things like that because it keeps me thinking and evaluating where I am in the match.

I'd like to have some general conversation with my partner about anything really. I don't ask for advice, except mainly on putts just to confirm my original thoughts. I will give advice of its warranted but only if he asks. I am a decent player but far from a PGA professional, so would never offer advice. I will definitely offer encouragement during the round for sure, such as where to try and play a shot, thats a good leave or something like that. Players will learn each of their idiosyncrasies along the way, even if they haven't been able to play together before. Players can feed off of each other that's for sure. Come to a collective agreement on the shot beforehand. Things will work out in the end.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wow, been only a couple of days and the thread just rolls on!

Well, weather, going back to teaching after the break and kids sports have been keeping me busy. Throw in the weather and I have not had time to get on the course or the range, but chipping and putting have been a nightly routine of an hour plus in the basement-depending on how long the ESPN FC podcast is and how many Sports Junkies segments I download. Been sticking to a light workout and stretching routine (more personal than golf related).

One of the things that I want to work on is ball striking. So I found a really good set of i5's (3-SW) for a really great price. I know that that the i's are not much smaller than the G's but I figure that it is enough to help work on being more precise without becoming to frustrated. They should be he by the weekend and I am playing regardless of the weather!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The type of information I would want to receive from my partner is yardage so, discuss hole strategy, and general green info-how,they are reading slopes and breaks-but not too detailed. At the same time I would like general talk to help keep things loose. As far as giving, that depends on who,I'm playing with and what they want.

Wow, been only a couple of days and the thread just rolls on!

The thread grows quickly.....although it has been a little slow tonight.

Guess everyone is working on their games. Listened to Golf is not a Game of Perfect, did some carpet putting to work on starting my ball on line, and watched a couple of lesson videos I have to help work out the kinks in my pitching/chipping stroke.

First day at work for me after a nice three week break. I'm tired and it's only Monday! :)
The thread grows quickly.....although it has been a little slow tonight.

Guess everyone is working on their games. Listened to Golf is not a Game of Perfect, did some carpet putting to work on starting my ball on line, and watched a couple of lesson videos I have to help work out the kinks in my pitching/chipping stroke.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I think we've got work hazards covered on the Carolina team between your biohazards and my missiles.....lol

You guys do have an advantage over us probably in a case of a zombie apocalypse!

Anybody have any experience with the XP115? I've had X100's in irons before.

Anybody have any experience with the XP115? I've had X100's in irons before.

I haven't hit the 115s but did the 105s in the previous apex. Very stable shaft and produced similar ball flight to what I see from my cf 16 with the pxi. The 105s didn't feel too light

The type of information I would want to receive from my partner is yardage so, discuss hole strategy, and general green info-how,they are reading slopes and breaks-but not too detailed. At the same time I would like general talk to help keep things loose. As far as giving, that depends on who,I'm playing with and what they want.

This is the way i look at the playing partner as well.

I want my partner to stay positive. Bad shots happen; momentum will change; it's not going to be a perfect round--I want my partner to be able to handle the ups and down and keep the final goal in my mind of winning the match. I will do my best to keep things fun. If my partner thinks I need a pick me up, I want him to not be afraid to say something.

I will give my partner whatever information he wants. I think talking strategy about how we want to play a hole is important, so we are on the same page. I will help read a putt if it is required and help with yardages, club selection, and offer advice on how to approach a shot or situation.

I don't really need much in terms of information from my partner. If you want to give me a yardage you personally like to hit from in Alt shot then I will play to that yardage or if you just let me know that I am so and so yards away from a water hazard, but other than that I just like to have some good conversations out on the course. If all we talk about in competition or golf than it starts to not be as fun for me. The reason for that is regardless of how much we talk a shot out or talk about if to give a putt or about the match and if we are down or up, I still have to hit a good shot. At the end of the day it all comes down to me just playing golf.

I will give my partner whatever information he needs. I will do whatever to make him feel comfortable standing over a shot. In Alt shot I always tell my partner to hit the shot they are most comfortable with and I will play my shot from wherever the ball lands. I won't tell a partner to hit a 3w shot if they are not comfortable with a 3w just because I am more comfortable with the yardage that a well struck 3w would leave me

Maybe you can tell but I am very relaxed on a golf course

I'm really enjoying everybody opening up about how to get in your head and under your skin during the round. More please, you're among friends here. :friends:

I just go with the flow... if my partner wants to talk, we can talk. If he wants to focus and not talk, the voices in my head will keep me good company.

I can take advice or give it if asked.

On alternate shot, just hit the shot you're comfortable with and I'll do my best with the result. I relish the challenge of creating a shot.

I just go with the flow... if my partner wants to talk, we can talk. If he wants to focus and not talk, the voices in my head will keep me good company.

I can take advice or give it if asked.

On alternate shot, just hit the shot you're comfortable with and I'll do my best with the result. I relish the challenge of creating a shot.

You have voices too. :alien2:

They're louder and much clearer when I go off my meds. You?
Never got on the meds, could be my problem

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Back