Molecular Gastronomy - Have You Tried It?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Im fascinated by this type of food.

Reservation at Alinea not in the cards for your Chicago trip?

I have been to restaurants that do this sort of thing. I think it's interesting how creative chefs can get with food, but the portions tend to be microscopic as well, which isn't as cool.

I have a couple friends who are into it (they're chemists). I'm more on the simple/rustic side of the spectrum, so it's not my favorite, but I find what they can do fascinating.

• Admin
Reservation at Alinea not in the cards for your Chicago trip?

I have been to restaurants that do this sort of thing. I think it's interesting how creative chefs can get with food, but the portions tend to be microscopic as well, which isn't as cool.

Alinea is closed till March.

Wow. That's pretty freaking interesting

I like people who try to push the boundaries of food. Creativity is amazing

Alinea is closed till March.

Didn't realize that, but at least it's only for renovations and not something worse.

The fact that you knew that so quickly tells me that you did look into it. :)

Love molecular gastronomy. So cool what they can do with it.

• Admin
Didn't realize that, but at least it's only for renovations and not something worse.

The fact that you knew that so quickly tells me that you did look into it. :)

Even before the trip.

Love molecular gastronomy. So cool what they can do with it.

We need to go to Edison in Tampa.

Ever since El Bulli did this in Spain with Chef Ferran Adria pioneering this method of cooking a few years back, I've always been fascinated to see where things go. It's interesting how this was a huge thing a few years back, but now you see amazing places pop up - like say Faviken in Sweden that goes the complete opposite and goes for the simplistic rustic style of past years.

Some can say that it's a trend that will ebb and flow, but the science and techniques can be used for many other styles. It's really this kind of innovation that drives the industry.

I'm a big fan of Wylie Dufresne, love reading stuff on him and what he does. Any cooking show that has him on it, I instantly stop and watch.

Never have but would love to try it. Love the combo of science and creativity.

I think its cool and would try it but it's a secondary thought when looking for a place to eat.

i think the closest we've come to something like this was in madrid at sergi arola, but i'm not sure they would identify as molecular gastronomy. it's interesting, but if you have to tell people your restaurant isn't pretentious, it's freaking pretentious. and a 4-hour meal with over 20 courses? sounds cheap...

Yes! Some of it is phenomenal, most of it is ... meh. I have been to The Bazaar by Jose Andres multiple times. There are some insanely inventive thoughtful dishes. Ink, Providence, Animal restaurants all dip into MG as well. All are very highly rated restaurants.

I strongly believe that many MG-forward restaurants attempt to push the mad-scientist-chef thing too far - so far that MG chemistry is the star, not the food.

Yes! Some of it is phenomenal, most of it is ... meh. I have been to The Bazaar by Jose Andres multiple times. There are some insanely inventive thoughtful dishes. Ink, Providence, Animal restaurants all dip into MG as well. All are very highly rated restaurants.

I strongly believe that many MG-forward restaurants attempt to push the mad-scientist-chef thing too far - so far that MG chemistry is the star, not the food.

Big fan of Jose Andres.
I think you are right about that, and if they step back and continue to make the food the star, and the experience something incredibly special they hit the right target.

Had a vendor take a few of us to Komi when I was in Washington, D.C. last year...it was very interesting, most of the food was very good but the portions were very small...just glad I didn't have to pay the bill because it was over $1,000 for 6 of us....it was a tasting dinner that was $150 per person and we had wine pairings with it that cost extra.

Many of these techniques are used broadly across fine dining. The thought and research that goes into creating these dishes is remarkable. The "hot and interesting"keeps changing which is great, just look at the juxtaposition between TFL and NOMO two of the undisputed kings and so vastly differnt . The surprise that can be created through the manipulation of "molecular gastronomy" can create a ton of emotion in dining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG fascinates me. I'd love to give it a shot, they crazy things they can do is just really cool.

Alinea is the place run by the two young guys right? Where you eat the berry that inverts the sweet/sour responses in your taste buds? That sounds just too cool.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I've never experienced this type of cooking. I know it's big right now but I just haven't found a spot to try. Im not even sure if Orlando has a spot.

MG fascinates me. I'd love to give it a shot, they crazy things they can do is just really cool.

Alinea is the place run by the two young guys right? Where you eat the berry that inverts the sweet/sour responses in your taste buds? That sounds just too cool.

Check out the video in the 1st post. One is Grant from Alinea.

never have tried it but I really want to. to me it's a fascinating and fun way to eat food.

Check out the video in the 1st post. One is Grant from Alinea.

Both of those places look awesome. I like the desert directly on the table. Let's be honest.....I like desert in general.

I think that's been my experience. I haven't had a chance to see it done "right" yet. It's been a whole lot of "look what we were able to do" instead of being food-centric.

Back