2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is my first posting on this thread. I do so mainly because I just left my cardiologist. Losing weight, at least 25 pounds, is no longer just something good to do, for me, it is now a medical necessity. With my medical family history, excessive weight could really cause some serious problems. So I will be going back reading previous postings and will be paying attention to future ones. Let's all get healthy together!!!!

This is my first posting on this thread. I do so mainly because I just left my cardiologist. Losing weight, at least 25 pounds, is no longer just something good to do, for me, it is now a medical necessity. With my medical family history, excessive weight could really cause some serious problems. So I will be going back reading previous postings and will be paying attention to future ones. Let's all get healthy together!!!!

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing you post here. Let us know if you have any questions.

I have not done the bod pod, I have had mine done with calipers and it is pretty accurate.
I am not going to have mine done for a couple months, I would not be happy with it right now!!!!!

Has anyone done a body fat measurement? A college near me offers the Bod Pod, which is apparently is as good as it gets. For $35 bucks I am thinking of doing it, and then when I get down to my goal weight doing it again to see if I am on track.

Thoughts?

Bod pod is worth it to get a good / accurate starting point.
Has anyone done a body fat measurement? A college near me offers the Bod Pod, which is apparently is as good as it gets. For $35 bucks I am thinking of doing it, and then when I get down to my goal weight doing it again to see if I am on track.

Thoughts?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Hope to see you in the best shape this July. ;)

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Come on in the water is fine :) ... Let's do this!

fdc69e30377c036f34182c408fcc021d.jpg

This is my new love. 1 gram of sugar and tastes just like birthday cake with sprinkles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Are these Oh Yeah bars for real? Are they more a snack or enough for meal replacement?

Where is cheapest place to buy? I have Amazon Prime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are these Oh Yeah bars for real? Are they more a snack or enough for meal replacement?

They are legit.
I got them at S2 but amazon would be good option.
The birthday cake and lemon pie are to die for.
I use them for between meals but will hold me over as meal as well

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They contain maltitol and glycerine. Both forms of sugars. They react the same as sugar in your body. 1 gram of sugar doesn't equal 24 grams of carbs. Deceptive advertising at best. Do your research. Most "health bars" are low fat high sugar unfortunately.

They contain maltitol and glycerine. Both forms of sugars. They react the same as sugar in your body. 1 gram of sugar doesn't equal 24 grams of carbs. Deceptive advertising at best. Do your research. Most "health bars" are low fat high sugar unfortunately.

So are the bars just something you should stay away from or do you know of any that are actually a low sugar/low carb bars? It's a pretty convenient snack, but it looks like that may get in the way of being healthy.

So are the bars just something you should stay away from or do you know of any that are actually a low sugar/low carb bars? It's a pretty convenient snack, but it looks like that may get in the way of being healthy.

I don't know of any low carb/sugar bars that are healthy and taste good. Convenient and healthy usually don't coexist well. I would maybe eat one while golfing because you'll probably burn off the carbs. But as a healthy snack? No. Your better off having some nuts for protein and healthy fat that'll keep you full and a price of fruit for healthy carbs/energy. A good rule of thumb is less ingredients are better. Nuts contain nuts, fruit contains fruit. Nature knows best.

I don't agree. You can eat these. They are relatively healthy. At the end of the day it really boils down to calories in vs calories out. I have taken this approach, counting my calories in my fitness pal, weighing my foods on the food scale, and am down 60 pounds. Find out what your TDEE is and eat less than that and you will lose weight, regardless of if you eat your calories in cheeseburgers or in salad.

Been including Chia seeds in my protein shake in the morning to help curb my hunger later in the morning..

Has worked pretty well for the first few days, but not as much today.

I don't know of any low carb/sugar bars that are healthy and taste good. Convenient and healthy usually don't coexist well. I would maybe eat one while golfing because you'll probably burn off the carbs. But as a healthy snack? No. Your better off having some nuts for protein and healthy fat that'll keep you full and a price of fruit for healthy carbs/energy. A good rule of thumb is less ingredients are better. Nuts contain nuts, fruit contains fruit. Nature knows best.

I pretty much always have peanuts or almonds around now for snacks and I'm going to mix in fruit a little more for the energy when I'm feeling tired. I think I will just start carrying the bars in the golf bag this year because I'm going to start walking my solo rounds, should easily burn it off. Thanks!

I don't agree. You can eat these. They are relatively healthy. At the end of the day it really boils down to calories in vs calories out. I have taken this approach, counting my calories in my fitness pal, weighing my foods on the food scale, and am down 60 pounds. Find out what your TDEE is and eat less than that and you will lose weight, regardless of if you eat your calories in cheeseburgers or in salad.

You can lose weight and be unhealthy. Equal calories in cheeseburgers and veggies are not the same quality wise. I recently read an article where Tom Brady said 80 percent of his calorie intake is vegetables. He has access to the best nutritionists money can buy.

You can lose weight and be unhealthy. Equal calories in cheeseburgers and veggies are not the same quality wise. I recently read an article where Tom Brady said 80 percent of his calorie intake is vegetables. He has access to the best nutritionists money can buy.

Oh I agree but eating the occasional protein bar with some sugar substitute isn't going to make you unhealthy. That much I can guarantee. It is giving you tons of protein which is going to in turn help you build lean muscle mass. That lean muscle mass will allow you to burn more calories

Oh I agree but eating the occasional protein bar with some sugar substitute isn't going to make you unhealthy. That much I can guarantee. It is giving you tons of protein which is going to in turn help you build lean muscle mass. That lean muscle mass will allow you to burn more calories

I agree with you. Occasional is fine. As a regular snack, I wouldn't. As a rule of thumb, those health and protein bars are not as healthy as they imply. There are much better sources of protein with less carbs.

I agree with you. Occasional is fine. As a regular snack, I wouldn't. As a rule of thumb, those health and protein bars are not as healthy as they imply. There are much better sources of protein with less carbs.

Not disagreeing with you. Just simply stating that one shouldn't write them off based on sugar substitutes. They are a convenient snack and if you want to have one before/after a workout, on the golf course, you will be just fine

Not disagreeing with you. Just simply stating that one shouldn't write them off based on sugar substitutes. They are a convenient snack and if you want to have one before/after a workout, on the golf course, you will be just fine

Absolutely.

Another Orange Theory class down another 714 calories burned, and I am sore, but it feels great!

A huge shout out to mpeterson for sending me some samples of some vegan protein powder, there were definitely a few palatable options in there. Because for anyone who has tried a vegan protein powder you know they taste like dirt. And no, I am not vegan I very much love meat, I just can't eat dairy.

Another Orange Theory class down another 714 calories burned, and I am sore, but it feels great!

A huge shout out to mpeterson for sending me some samples of some vegan protein powder, there were definitely a few palatable options in there. Because for anyone who has tried a vegan protein powder you know they taste like dirt. And no, I am not vegan I very much love meat, I just can't eat dairy.
BioSteel Vegan... Probably the best available IMO.

slenderkitchen is another GREAT website I use, especially for crock pot dishes. Hers are amazing. I have made tons of stuff from her website.

BioSteel Vegan... Probably the best available IMO.

I will check that out, thanks!

GG, for recipes check out skinnytaste.com if you havent already, lists the points on all recipes (both points versions) and more improtantly there is some insanely good stuff on there.

I made these Turkey Cutlets for Amanda and I last night and they were freaking phenomenal: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/11/turkey-cutlets-with-parmesan-crust.html

That's my go-to blog for WW recipes, she is great! I have made a ton of her recipes, and posted a few on here somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back