Cleveland Black for begginers

Wilson Staffer

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey I was wondering if these irons would be ideal for a begginer. I'm playing really old Tommy Armor cavity backs and they're OK but I was looking to buy new and kind of work my way into them. My golfer buddy says to get some cbeaper used sticks and a lesson but what do you guys think? Thank you

They sure will. High quality, super forgiving and great set for any beginner.

I think you would dig them. Perfect set up for a new golfer. Like JB said, super forgiving.

Love Cleveland black for many levels and a solid option for beginners. You will have a ton of fun with these.

Great clubs. I'd game them easily.

Not sure why you are limiting yourself to the Black. Maybe a friend wants to sell you his. I think their just okay but nothing about them peaked my interest. My opinion is maybe effected by the fact that I hit a buddies set with Miyazaki graphite shafts. I found nothing impressive about them, trajectory very high , distance not impressive.
There are tons of quality used sets on ebay. My 2 cents, expand your choice to include for example used Callawat x18 or x20, Taylormade Rocketballz,

Not sure why you are limiting yourself to the Black. Maybe a friend wants to sell you his. I think their just okay but nothing about them peaked my interest. My opinion is maybe effected by the fact that I hit a buddies set with Miyazaki graphite shafts. I found nothing impressive about them, trajectory very high , distance not impressive.
There are tons of quality used sets on ebay. My 2 cents, expand your choice to include for example used Callawat x18 or x20, Taylormade Rocketballz,

The original Cleveland Black irons with the Miyazaki shafts are hands down better than either of those three sets for a beginner. Super forgiving across the face, easy launch, large face with one of the biggest sweet spots ive ever gamed.

The original Cleveland Black irons with the Miyazaki shafts are hands down better than either of those three sets for a beginner. Super forgiving across the face, easy launch, large face with one of the biggest sweet spots ive ever gamed.

The callaway x18 and 20s were tough clubs to handle for beginners and also some guys who had been playing for a bit. Saw so many decent golfers struggle with both sets. The rocketballz were so so but I agree the black are much better than these and the new CG black are even better.

The callaway x18 and 20s were tough clubs to handle for beginners and also some guys who had been playing for a bit. Saw so many decent golfers struggle with both sets. The rocketballz were so so but I agree the black are much better than these and the new CG black are even better.

I was a high capper when I tried the the X18 and X20 sets. Around that time I put the Blacks in to play and it wasn't even close.

I was a high capper when I tried the the X18 and X20 sets. Around that time I put the Blacks in to play and it wasn't even close.

I gamed the 20s when I was a high cap with decent contact and there were som bad days. I swapped out a year later for some Mizunos and what a difference.

The bad thing was they turned me away from callaway for awhile and when I should have put the previous apex in my bag I still had that perception going. Glad I got over that and now have the new cf 16 and a whole bunch if other callaway stuff in the bag

My beginner set was a set of Cobra Bafflers. Extremely easy to hit. Almost gave me a false sense of security at times. You can still find new sets on e-bay for around $200. $300 for the 2014 Baffler XL hybrid combo set.

so my main point was why limit it to the black. Not saying they are not forgiving or that they are terrible performers. The one and only time I hit them at the range they clearly left me with the impression that they performed below my expectations. These were the first generation version, no experience with later version. Now the first Black driver( the one from approx. 4 years back) was impressive, never gamed one but have hit it. For whatever its worth I would say the ping rapture would also be ideal for a high capper, with a little effort you can get those for around $200 to 225 on ebay. I agree that there are also very good mizuno irons for the high capper out there, and personally see no compelling reason to back off the Rocketballz irons suggestion which can be easily got for less than $200.

If he decides to just go with the Black I am not saying it iwould be a huge mistake . Thinking it would be better to do a little more homework before final desicion. He could do a search on the T.M. Rocketballz irons here and read the reviews of many, as I recall a big majority viewed them extremely favorably.

Last edited:
Yup, this is a great line fir beginners and golfers with slower seing speeds

Nice. I appreciate the feedback. There's nothing like buying new. At least that way I'll know my mistakes and mishits on the face of the club.

The Cleveland 588 Altitude or MT Irons are also great for a beginner I have used both but keep going back to the Altitudes, they almost have a cult following here at THP.

Nice. I appreciate the feedback. There's nothing like buying new. At least that way I'll know my mistakes and mishits on the face of the club.

Enjoy your new irons. I assumed you were not intending on going new at this time.

Back