do you have the same shaft in your highest loft wedge/s as your iron set?

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I know that some wedges like the pw, aw, sw and even LW may or may not be part of your set. If they are then your probably using the same shaft throughout. But very many people dont have a match set LW and others may also not have a match set aw and sw (or whatever degree wedge you want to call it.

When that is the case do you still match the shaft to your irons even though the wedge/s are a different brand and/or model vs your iron set?

Along with my new ping g400 irons (which im locing fwiw) I didnt get the LW because the sw and lw are 13 bounce and so I decided to go with having the option of one wedge being lower bounce. Im giving great consideration to the cleveland CBX 58/10. Cleveland does offer that wedge (for an extra fee) with the same shaft as in the rest of mu irons. The shaft I have in them is projectx LZ 6.0.
Now...cleveland only offers the 5.5 but honestly it was a toss up between the two when I ordered my irons but the 6.0 gave just a tad less dispersion and so i wen with it. I have no problem getting the 5.5 and would have even been fine with those in my irons as well if for whatever reason the 6.0 wasnt available. If cleveland (when I call can get the 6.0 then of course Ill go that route and evrything will be exactly the same. But it got me curious if getting the same shaft as in your iron set is something you even bother considering?

Perhaps some of you have been fit for wedge and wedge shaft separately or you just dont care for the same shaft in a LW or you feel the wedge shaft should be something very different for whatever the reasons.
Whats your thoughts and what did you do?

My irons have DG X100 AMT shafts and my sand and lob wedge have S400. My swingweight is a bit higher in those two wedges as well.

My wedge shafts are completely different from my irons meaning different weight and even different brand. Slightly heavier is typical for me, I can't recall ever having the same shafts in my wedges as my irons.

I do in my current setup and did in my previous setup. Before those, I always went heavier on the wedge shafts. Think they may have been a mistake all along because my wedge play was improved with my last 2 setups.

No. Not even the same brand until a week and a half from now.

I have a 118g shaft in my 54* and 132g in my 58*, but 125g in my irons down to 50*.

one of my issues in pulling the trrigger is that the CBX wedge is of couirse a different head vs any my G400 clubs including the wedges. When we were fitting shafts for the g400 irons I also hit other brand irons as well and with the samne shafts. And the different irons did feel different even in the same shafts. The cobra F*'s didnt fel good at all in that shaft, while a TM iron (Iforget which one) felt as good as my Pings did in that shaft.

Im not going to go for exclusive fitting for this LW. Already spent too much and so thinking why not just order with the same shaft. Not realy a full swing club anyway so just maybe not much to concern with mostly using for some of the chips and pitches and some sand when needed.

No. Not even the same brand until a week and a half from now.

I have a 118g shaft in my 54* and 132g in my 58*, but 125g in my irons down to 50*.

so youve got a new set coming?

No, I ordered them all the same but there was a issue with the Cobra wedges and the Recoil 780's so I have Recoil 95's in my wedges.

I will say I hardly notice a difference between the 2 different shafts.

Last edited:
No, Recoil 110's in my irons, and S200 in my Vokeys.

My 4-SW have 109 gram shafts.
My 58* has a 130 gram shaft.

No, my 60* RTX has stock offering from Cleveland. AW-5 have Nippon shafts.

i don't think i ever have matched the set all the way through. i really feel like stock wedge shafts almost always perform the best for me.

i don't know if it's possible to mine the data, but it seems like the stock wedge shaft in the vast majority of wedges is dynamic gold. yet that shaft is rarely the stock shaft in iron offerings. i wonder why that is?

Not exactly matching but Modus 105 in irons and Modus 115 wedge shafts. Slightly heavier and different swing weight.

My second set goes from graphite to steel so they are quite different.

They're different. Currently using KBS C Taper Lite 115x in my irons, and KBS Tour 130x in my wedges.

X100 for everything based on what fitter recommended at the time I ordered

Wedge shafts match my iron shafts.

I play PX 6.0 in my irons, 50 and 54, PXi 6.0 in the 60

interesting many seem to be heavier (if anything) in the wedges.

my irons will have 100g graphite 6.0 flex while my 50/54 have 610 115 R+ steel shafts and my 62* has 610 120g shaft. I dont really take full swings with my wedges so I prefer to play a shaft that fits most my swings instead of all my swings.

My irons and wedges couldn’t be more different. Graphite Recoil 760 ES smacwrap shafts in my irons. Steel stock shafts in my wedges (I presume dynamic gold stiffs). I like my wedges to be heavier and I was fit expressly for both my irons and wedges. More than happy with them.

#FiberLaunch

Yep, I built my current set with the same shaft from 3 utility to LW.

interesting many seem to be heavier (if anything) in the wedges.

There seem to be 3 schools of thought when it comes to this:
1) Play the same shaft in everything.
2) Play different shafts in wedges and irons (majority of recreational players do this because they usually don't play something other than the stock wedge shaft, I'm one of those people)
3) Play the same type of shaft in wedges and irons, but go for a slightly softer flex in the wedges for feel and because there are more partial shots with wedges than with irons. You would be doing that if you went 5.5 LZ in the LW as compared to 6.0 LZ in the irons. Also what tahoebum does: X100 in the irons, S400 in the wedges. The issue for some in doing that is the softer flex shafts can be lighter than the heavier flex shafts, but I would say there are more people that can't really tell the difference in 5 grams of weight between shafts (which is the difference in weight between 5.5 LZ and 6.0 LZ).

Hope that helps.

one of my issues in pulling the trrigger is that the CBX wedge is of couirse a different head vs any my G400 clubs including the wedges. When we were fitting shafts for the g400 irons I also hit other brand irons as well and with the samne shafts. And the different irons did feel different even in the same shafts. The cobra F*'s didnt fel good at all in that shaft, while a TM iron (Iforget which one) felt as good as my Pings did in that shaft.

Im not going to go for exclusive fitting for this LW. Already spent too much and so thinking why not just order with the same shaft. Not realy a full swing club anyway so just maybe not much to concern with mostly using for some of the chips and pitches and some sand when needed.
I'm using G400 irons & CBX wedges with no issue; the differing head shapes pose no problem for me at all. However, I'm probably the wrong person to ask about swingweights.

Back