Bridgestone Tour B JGR HF 2 Irons Review

Unless something has changed in their reach, they won't be in anything short of a PGA Superstore style of retail. I'm not sure a Golf Galaxy even stocks them, especially up this way.

I agree with these thoughts here. They were really easy to work and had a great feel. Paired with the DG 120, they produced a nice mid flight with solid stopping power in the several times I hit them on course and the long irons (set started with 5 iron) were easy to get off the ground/tee. I missed a couple toe side and you could feel it, but the result wasn't nearly as bad as I had expected, only a couple yards off line while challenging the "groove-less" area on the face. Eager to follow your progress here, JohnSinVA.

I had a few shots like tpluff describes an results were similar. I like to refer to that as “challenging the chrome”

Discovered a bit of an anomaly when I got this set home. Lengths are just a tad bit longer than stock but what I found interesting was the SW with the A Wedge was only at D1 ish while the rest of the set was at D4-5. I pulled the head and added some tip weight to bring the SW up into line with the rest of the set. I'm guessing these would play around D3 at standard lengths with the DG120 shafts. Wondering if maybe that particular head was just a bit too light.

I've done a bit of work with these irons. While I was installing Prosoft inserts (thankfully the grips were blown on and made that job much easier) I double checked the lengths and shortened them be + 1/4" over BStone Standard Length for this set. I also weakened some lofts to give 4* spacing (and get a little more bounce) between clubs (AW was bent 2 strong - this may be untenable given the reduction in bounce and my tendency to get steep. A dedicated wedge may be going into this spot if things don't work out). Swingweight with the DG120 wound up in the D3-D4 range across the set. I wasn't militant about getting them all the same since I'm not sensitive enough to detect a single SW point.

I was already impressed with these irons as they came to me from the Ultimate Weekend event. But, after a couple sessions after getting some dampening installed into the shafts and getting everything tweaked, I can safely say I don't regret my choice one bit. This is an outstanding offering from Bridgestone in the GI/player's distance category. They have a nice sound and smooth feel on well struck balls. Even range rocks come off with good feel. I was a huge fan of my C300 Forged prior gamers, but IMHO, the HF2 are a better set overall. They provide nearly all the forgiveness of the 300F in a package that is more appealing to players who don't necessarily wan't to see the tech that's helping them play better.

I've done a bit of work with these irons. While I was installing Prosoft inserts (thankfully the grips were blown on and made that job much easier) I double checked the lengths and shortened them be + 1/4" over BStone Standard Length for this set. I also weakened some lofts to give 4* spacing (and get a little more bounce) between clubs (AW was bent 2 strong - this may be untenable given the reduction in bounce and my tendency to get steep. A dedicated wedge may be going into this spot if things don't work out). Swingweight with the DG120 wound up in the D3-D4 range across the set. I wasn't militant about getting them all the same since I'm not sensitive enough to detect a single SW point.

I was already impressed with these irons as they came to me from the Ultimate Weekend event. But, after a couple sessions after getting some dampening installed into the shafts and getting everything tweaked, I can safely say I don't regret my choice one bit. This is an outstanding offering from Bridgestone in the GI/player's distance category. They have a nice sound and smooth feel on well struck balls. Even range rocks come off with good feel. I was a huge fan of my C300 Forged prior gamers, but IMHO, the HF2 are a better set overall. They provide nearly all the forgiveness of the 300F in a package that is more appealing to players who don't necessarily wan't to see the tech that's helping them play better.

Good initial thoughts, that's quite a bit of tweaking, but it's good to have them speced to where you want them. I'll be following your progress with these as they're a damn fine iron set.

good stuff buddy!!

keep the info and data coming!!!

Thanks for the update on these JohnSinVa. I think a set of these are destined to be in my bag eventually. I loved hitting them at the True Temper Ultimate Weekend Event (Thanks again THP & True Temper)! They have a lot of helping tech and what appears to be a tad more offset than is usually present in this category of iron. I know I'm the outlier here, but I like a little offset in these players/cavity back/distance irons.

Another practice session with the HF2 today and I've decided that I want, no, I need to track down a 4 iron to add to the set. The 5 iron is just fun to hit and gets the ball out there, so I'm thinking the 4i would wind up being a great tee option on short par 4s and long par 3s. And for long recovery shots when I flub tee shots with driver :beat-up:

Another practice session with the HF2 today and I've decided that I want, no, I need to track down a 4 iron to add to the set. The 5 iron is just fun to hit and gets the ball out there, so I'm thinking the 4i would wind up being a great tee option on short par 4s and long par 3s. And for long recovery shots when I flub tee shots with driver :beat-up:

Our the JGR Utility iron

Some unseasonable warm weather this week had me put off some work responsibilities in favor of getting some more play in before things finally cool off. Having these out on the course again just confirms I made the right choice at #UltimateWeekendOfGolf. The feel of a well struck ball is much nicer to me than my prior C300 Forged gamers, plus the distance is definitely there. I played a walking 9 holes with irons only and just felt comfortable with these in hand, and confident that I could hit any shot I wanted or needed to. Low draw off the tee to fight some wind? Can do. High fader into a flag tucked away? Easy peasy. Low punch under some trees after overcooking one? Yep, that too.

These are a really excellent example of the player's distance iron. It is a shame they will most likely be on few people's radar as a potential set, especially at the price point at which they are being offered. Tremendous bang for the buck here.

Great to hear you're liking them so well. I would have picked those at The Ultimate Weekend given the chance. I was ready to pull the trigger on a set for a steal but was offered up a basically new combo set of ZU85/Z585's for even less $. The one thing that concerned me about the HF2's was the relatively low bounce compared to the clubs I'm used to. Have you experienced much digging in wet conditions?

Great to hear you're liking them so well. I would have picked those at The Ultimate Weekend given the chance. I was ready to pull the trigger on a set for a steal but was offered up a basically new combo set of ZU85/Z585's for even less $. The one thing that concerned me about the HF2's was the relatively low bounce compared to the clubs I'm used to. Have you experienced much digging in wet conditions?

Not anything worse than I dealt with on past sets I’ve had. I went through and weakened the lofts on a few of them so that gets me a little more bounce. The Srixon v soles are pretty much ideal for a steeper swinger like me but these HF2s do okay.

Hello - I play the Callaway Rogue Pros and was considering this set since they seem to have the same specs.
The Pros feel great but they arent forged. What I love about the Pro is the distance I get since I'm not a long hitter.
Any insight on the HF2 in the distance category? Thanking you in advance!

Hello - I play the Callaway Rogue Pros and was considering this set since they seem to have the same specs.
The Pros feel great but they arent forged. What I love about the Pro is the distance I get since I'm not a long hitter.
Any insight on the HF2 in the distance category? Thanking you in advance!
I've not gamed either but have demoed between the two. The Rogues are longer for me, there's no 2 ways about it. That having been said, I don't think there's a huge, enormous difference to warrant avoiding the HF2, especially for the price.

I've not gamed either but have demoed between the two. The Rogues are longer for me, there's no 2 ways about it. That having been said, I don't think there's a huge, enormous difference to warrant avoiding the HF2, especially for the price.

Thank you for the feedback. Was it much longer? 1/4 club? 1/2 club? Thank you

Thank you for the feedback. Was it much longer? 1/4 club? 1/2 club? Thank you
For me, it's about a half club+. Ymmv. But the Rogue Pros are built for distance. Although these aren't short, they just aren't the distance hogs Rogue Pros are. All a matter of what you look for.

For me, it's about a half club+. Ymmv. But the Rogue Pros are built for distance. Although these aren't short, they just aren't the distance hogs Rogue Pros are. All a matter of what you look for.

Ok thank you I guess I will stick with my Rogues

What do we have here?

1a5b04a2a5ecf2fac88dbf8dec64cf65.jpg

I didn’t have a matching true temper shaft for this so it put in the recoil proto utility shaft I got in the contest earlier this year from People’s Clubs. I wasn’t getting Canadan ball speed from the combo but I was getting pretty impressive numbers for an old fat guy, with my best numbers giving me 225 carry. I’m looking forward to seeing if I can hit this consistently well.

What do we have here?

1a5b04a2a5ecf2fac88dbf8dec64cf65.jpg

I didn’t have a matching true temper shaft for this so it put in the recoil proto utility shaft I got in the contest earlier this year from People’s Clubs. I wasn’t getting Canadan ball speed from the combo but I was getting pretty impressive numbers for an old fat guy, with my best numbers giving me 225 carry. I’m looking forward to seeing if I can hit this consistently well.

what kind of carry numbers on the course?

Anyone else?

If you’re after pure distance bats, your Rogue Pros are going to be hard to beat. However, in terms of sound and feel they are going to be about a step above hot garbage compared to the HF2, IMHO.

If you’re after pure distance bats, your Rogue Pros are going to be hard to beat. However, in terms of sound and feel they are going to be about a step above hot garbage compared to the HF2, IMHO.

Lol! Gotcha. Thank you

what kind of carry numbers on the course?

On a day hanging in the mid 40s with some wind I hit one 4i off the tee for about 220 carry.

Back