Shaft Maintenance

Nicegy525

Reaction score
Handicap
After discovering rust spots on my steel shafts this winter, I was wondering what everyone uses to oil and maintain their steel shafts and other metal surfaces.

Any advice would be helpful

I don't use anything just wipe them down when wet. I had irons for 7 years with no issues.

I've never experienced rusting with steel iron shafts.

I don't use anything just wipe them down when wet. I had irons for 7 years with no issues.
Yep same, just a quick wipe. Ive seen actually seen any rust on my stuff.

we get ALOT of rain up here in the Pacific Northwest.

I was also keeping my clubs in my trunk most of the time which can be a damp environment.

I have since moved them to my garage.

I use metal polish followed by car wax to seal my iron shafts..

Some WD40 once a month will keep them happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Use some car chrome cleaner

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

To this point, I've not had real issues with shaft rusting.

Then again, my clubs are usually in the house and without wetness/humidity.

I don't do anything and have never had any rust.

I live just a couple miles inland from the coast, so we still get a lot of moisture in the air. I've had raw club heads rust over almost over night just sitting in my closet, but I've never had any issues with chrome heads and certainly never seen any rust on steel shafts.

I recently found some rust appearing inside the top of one of my iron shaft ferrules. Not really sure how it got there but was being to form none the less. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I recently found some rust appearing inside the top of one of my iron shaft ferrules. Not really sure how it got there but was being to form none the less. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a raw or slate finish wedge? I've had some that the rust rubs off on the surrounding clubs pretty easily making it look like there's rust on or around the ferrules of my other clubs. It cleans off really easily though and there's nothing actually wrong with those other clubs.

I've always stored clubs in the garage and never had any rusting issues until this year. I left a set of irons in a hallway closet at our condo in Florida the last 18 months and noticed rust on the Wilson Staff iron heads and on the underside of my Ping Y-Worry putter when I got here before Christmas. I'm only using these clubs a few weeks each year but obviously the coastal salt air is getting to them. I'll spray them down with some lube before I leave and hopefully that will slow down the corrosion.

I've never heard of doing anything to them.

CRC electrical grade silicone is great option for golf clubs. It protects and dries as soon as you spray it on. It is the only thing I'll use on carbon putters. Sand and fertilizer will not stick.

Back