Gilbertc13

Mizuno Staffer
Reaction score
Handicap
Well I’ve come to realization it’s not the equipment that is the issue for my lack of distance off the tee... it’s my swing. Most of them were out to in swings which as everyone knows isn’t optimal for dispersion or distance.

The three shafts that went in for battle were a HZRDUS Yellow 6.5 tipped 1”, HZRDUS Black 6.0 tipped 1”, ACCRA FX 2.0 360 M5 no tipping that I know of. Here’s the chart:

8abae3717f7f6b5b73d0034332d931f7.png

By looking at this. Which one would y’all choose?

Sent from HTX

Last edited:
serious question, have you tried swinging more in tempo and not as "hard"? I've seen your swing posted as well as your noting of a low ball flight. You're move is rather unique but why not try and smooth out your swing to allow your body to create the upswing to get the launch and flight you are looking for? Also would take care of the OTT that you are seeing?

Just from those numbers hzrdus yellow is offering on average best ball speeds, highest launch and lowest spin. The main thing that sticks out is ball speed averages. Under 160mph you really dont need to tip that yellow 1". I guessing you have very aggressive swing... but the #1 ingredient for distance is ball speed. Playing a straight 6.5 without tipping will give you more ball speed.

Usually I try not to kill it... but you’re probably right. The OTT move is killing. I couldn’t seem to fix it

Sent from HTX

Just from those numbers hzrdus yellow is offering on average best ball speeds, highest launch and lowest spin. The main thing that sticks out is ball speed averages. Under 160mph you really dont need to tip that yellow 1". I guessing you have very aggressive swing... but the #1 ingredient for distance is ball speed. Playing a straight 6.5 without tipping will give you more ball speed.

Extremely aggressive

Sent from HTX

yellow or black, but i would go with yellow. and agree with @kc720, i don't think i would tip it.

I like the numbers with the HZRDUS Yellow in terms of spin (Avg 2817) with the lowest. But your dispersion with the Accra going left? Is that a draw or is it a straight up pull? 33 & 42 yards left of target? With the HZRDUS Black your miss seems to be to the right ... hence the shorter average distance. Based on these numbers I would go with the Yellow

Last edited:
I’d go with Accra. I like the 14* launches you saw.

HZRDUS Yellow is far and away the clear winner here for you, in almost every single aspect, aside from the one duck hook registered.

I think the yellow was pretty good. In terms of feel, there was almost none. Best feeling shaft overall was the Accra and it wasn’t even close. My longest of the day was 308 with the black. I think the message here is this: inconsistent swing, inconsistent numbers, inconsistent results. I need to get rid of that OTT move

Sent from HTX

Good thing about today was that I fixed my AOA... used to be -3 average.. today I saw +3 average across the board

Sent from HTX

I think the yellow was pretty good. In terms of feel, there was almost none. Best feeling shaft overall was the Accra and it wasn’t even close. My longest of the day was 308 with the black. I think the message here is this: inconsistent swing, inconsistent numbers, inconsistent results. I need to get rid of that OTT move

Sent from HTX

if you swing a hzrdus black 6.0 tipped then the only way you could swing that is aggressively. I know you're on staff with mizuno but should you get a chance, try the new TS driver with hzrdus smoke 6.5 in 70g. I think you'll like it and you wont have to swing as aggressive to get what you want out of it.

But he's all over with the launch ... no consistency. Average of 11.7*

You are correct and if he hadn’t admitted that it was his swing on not the shaft I would have picked the other shaft. I see him working on a more consistent move and smoother transition which would fall in line with my pick.

HZRDUS Yellow. I would go with it tipped. If you don't tip it you will likely see more spin, which would negate any potential for more ball speed. All things being equal, ball speed and spin have an inverse relationship.

At a quick glance I would say the yellow provided you the best numbers overall but I do find it a bit odd that comparing similar launch angles on the black and yellow that the black has more backspin

Man you hit the ball high! :D

What about tipping the third shaft since you liked the feel best?

you hit the Yellow the best and most consistent #264

(aside from that one pull)

I’m thinking of tipping the Accra... but idk if that’s a butt cut only...? I think I’ll have to re-evaluate once I figure my swing out

Sent from HTX

I’m thinking of tipping the Accra... but idk if that’s a butt cut only...? I think I’ll have to re-evaluate once I figure my swing out

Sent from HTX

You can measure the parallel tip length and figure out if it's been tipped or not. Secs for that shaft should be readily available. But yeah, I think that's something you can iron out once you fine tune the swang.

EDIT: Parallel tip length should be 3" long on that shaft if it's untipped.

You can measure the parallel tip length and figure out if it's been tipped or not. Secs for that shaft should be readily available. But yeah, I think that's something you can iron out once you fine tune the swang.

EDIT: Parallel tip length should be 3" long on that shaft if it's untipped.

Sweet. Thanks kev! I messaged the guys at Accra on IG to get their opinion

Sent from HTX

Yellow is by far the winner, based on what you brought to the table today. Roughly 300 RPM's spin is not insignificant and was likely the sole reason for the better distance you saw with it.

Since you are trying to go through a swing change the waters become more muddied.

So here's my unqualified suggestion. Use the Yellow until it isn't the best option for you anymore. I have experience with a HZRDUS Yellow shaft (go figure, lol) and it's not a bad shaft. I've seen your swing and I didn't think "wow! That's super aggressive!" It looked a lot smoother than others I've seen that use that shaft. At some point that shaft won't be the best option for you. Heck, it's probably not the best option now but of the 3 that battled it out, it's head and shoulders above the other two. The black in 6.5 would probably be lower spin but I doubt you'd like the feel of that one from chatting with you.

Just one hackers opinion:)

Sent from HTX

I've watched your swing videos.
At address your posture is such that your upper body is well forward of your lower body. For example, in your address position, if you drew a line (or hung a club straight down) from your shoulders, you will find that line to be well in front of your knees. This address position sets you up to make an over the top down swing.
In contrast, this week's tournament winner Keegan Bradley, as address, flexes his knees and sticks his rear pants pockets out, so that if one drew a line from his shoulders to his knees they would be on the same plane. This address position has several benefits, including prevention of any over the top down swing.
If you want to get rid of the over the top move I suggest addressing the ball with more knee flex, think "sit down position". Make some swings, and you will immediately recognize that over the top is no longer possible for you.
All that said, you are a good ball striker who hits it solid, I can see that from your videos. But as you know, even the very best ball strikers are usually looking for little changes that may make them even better.

At address your posture is such that your upper body is well forward of your lower body. For example, in your address position, if you drew a line (or hung a club straight down) from your shoulders, you will find that line to be well in front of your knees. This address position sets you up to make an over the top down swing.
In contrast, this week's tournament winner Keegan Bradley, as address, flexes his knees and sticks his rear pants pockets out, so that if one drew a line from his shoulders to his knees they would be on the same plane. This address position has several benefits, including prevention of any over the top down swing.
If you want to get rid of the over the top move I suggest addressing the ball with more knee flex, think "sit down position". Make some swings, and you will immediately recognize that over the top is no longer possible for you.
All that said, you are a good ball striker who hits it solid, I can see that from your videos. But as you know, even the very best ball strikers are usually looking for little changes that may make them even better.

I just looked back thru all my videos and you’re right
846ffc886f5f7fd5caee5892d4e820e6.png

Sent from HTX

Darn astute! Well said!

Back