Golf: Bridging the Generations Gap

Sean

Earthbound Extraterrestrial
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I don't know about some of you folks, but I find golf bridges not only generation gaps, but generations gaps as well. One of my regular playing partners is a young man of 23. We are only separated by 40 years. In most anything else in life you normally wouldn't find two people with that kind of age difference hanging out together, but with golf we can and we do. Out on the course there is no age difference, our bond is this great game. We have a great time every time we tee it up.

On another note, this is one talented young fellow. In only his third year playing, and self-taught at that, he consistently shoots in the mid-70s. I have yet to see him post a score in the 80s. What's also impressive is how far he can hit a golf ball. His ball speed with a driver is in the high-180's.

In any case, one of the things you have to love about this game is how it brings people together; age, race, sex, or whatever doesn't really matter. Golf transcends a lot of the BS we see in society today.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP. Back when I was in college and in my late teens, I played with a gentleman who was 83 years old who could shoot his age! His nickname was "Jigs," and in his prime he was a heckuva golfer. We enjoyed playing together, and he always made sure we had some kind of wager, even if it was a soda at the end of the round.

That's great Sean and i hear you loud and clear. There is just something about golf (maybe because we all know how hard it is?) that facilitates stories like yours.

I usually play as a single during the week so I get paired up with all kinds of people. The story of the 23 year old reminds me of a time when I played with a sophomore in high school. I think he shot upper 70’s on a tough course and says he did so regularly. I was astonished when he said he was not on the golf team.

I also really enjoy playing with the older guys and hearing their life story’s and watching how they manage their game.

Completely agree! I love playing golf with anyone who enjoys the game and I regularly play with my son who’s 11 all the way up to retirees in their mid 70’s. Even play with my grandfather in law a couple times a year who’s 89 years young. Almost everyone brings something to the table that you can talk about and make the round enjoyable.

I love playing with multiple generations - you learn so much. Of course, I was the weird kid that liked to listen to the grandparents' stories (no wonder my degree is basically in history).

Spot on, Sean, my good friend!

I agree!!! I regularly play with a gent who is 68, two who are 65 and one who is 62 and all retired. Several who are in there late 20's too. I come in at 51 so there is a nice age gap in us all. It is interesting in the differences of conversations with the older gents and the younger ones.

My regular group includes a 6yr old, a 13 year old, a 15 year old, a 39 year old, and a 62 year old. Relax folks, the 6 year old only putts:) This isn't a real fivesome.

I'm the 39 year old and my dad is the 62 year old. The other three are my sons. The 13 year old and I usually trade medalist honors for the group lately. Dad has improved tons the last year, definitely the most improved and he'll be a force this time next year as he retires on 01/01/19 and will have nothing better to do. The problem for both dad and I is the very driven 13 year old. He spends a couple hours every day working on his game. I'm not that committed anymore and play 2-3 times a week with another 2-3 hours practicing.

I have fun golfing with anyone and everyone. Age, sex, race, religion, etc etc etc. it just doesn't matter. We all speak the same language. One where par is a nice word, bogey is OK and where double bogey or worse is a dirty, dirty four letter one. Just so long as someone plays at a reasonable pace and isn't a compete jerk to play with, I don't care about something as petty as an age. 10-100 is just a number.

Good topic. I like it.

Back