r80rew

Reaction score
Handicap
So I had an epiphany following another frustrating round of golf.

I have had my Ping G15's for just over 8 years and have never been fully happy with them. Prior to owning these I had a set of Wilson Fatshafts which I loved, hitting 95% of irons straight with my normal miss being a push right (I am right handed). Since having my Pings I have had what ranges between a draw and a hook. I will on occasions hit the ball straight but that may be only once or twice during a round. The problem with this is that I am aiming right for the draw/hook and will end up out of position.

The fitting that I had was poor as it was at my local club (not where I play now) rather than at Ping with no consideration taken of swing speed, grip thickness or shaft weight etc. This was naive on my part I know but I just didn't know what a good fitting should have felt like.

So having spend a lot of time and money on my swing trying to correct this fault and I just can't. with the work thatI have been doing with the club pro we suspect that the flex in my shafts is too soft and rather than use a regular shaft i need to move to a stiff shaft. I have tried a stiff shafted club whilst having my lessons and there is an improvement.

So were regular shafts in the Wilson Fatshafts really that much stiffer than a regular shaft?
Will a stiff shaft reduce my draw/hook?
What have other people seem?

Thanks
Andrew

It depends. Unfortunately, there is no standard when it comes to shaft flexes. It's kind of like shoe sizes. I can go anywhere from an 11.5 to 12.5 depending on the manufacturer. The only way to know for sure is to try different shafts and see what the results are.

I live less than 30mins from Ping UK so I am planning on going for a full fitting and getting a full new set of Irons.

Yes, going to a stiffer shaft will help eliminate your draw/hook. I had a similar experience with my old irons which were R300s. Some days I would be playing a 30 yard draw with my 7 iron. Fast forward 3 years and I had an iron fitting and went to a KBS Tour FLT x-flex which tightened my dispersion considerably and all but eliminated my draw/hook unless that is the shot I am trying to play.

It depends. Unfortunately, there is no standard when it comes to shaft flexes. It's kind of like shoe sizes. I can go anywhere from an 11.5 to 12.5 depending on the manufacturer. The only way to know for sure is to try different shafts and see what the results are.

Yes! I have bigger feet than the giant Marine! Size range from 12w to 13w. Lol!

But that was a really good answer. I have a Rip Phenom driver shaft in x-flex that feels whippier than most regular flexes and you'd swear it was regular if you didn't see the "x" on it. There is no universal standard and it's much more Wild West than shoe sizes.

Best bet would be a proper club fitting with someone that knows what they're doing. The other thing I'll point out is that steel iron shafts, at least for me, really don't make a ton of difference from R-X flex. Swingweight is much more important than flex for me. One of the clubs that I currently use is a 4i that has a Dynalite 105 R-flex shaft. I use it for a driving iron and it hits low bullets for me. My CHS with this club is right around 106. According to specs I shouldn't be able to hit it, especially since my transition can only be described as violently aggressive. But it works and it works well.

The "R" or "S" on a shaft means next to nothing. There is no industry standard for those letters.

I know you mention that your pro thinks the shaft flex isn't suited to your swing, but have they checked the lie angles on your clubs?

Incorrect lie angle can influence shot shape as well

Doc beat me to it. Sounds more lie angle than shaft flex

Sent from HTX

Back