TaylorMade M2 Driver Preview

I hope this is TMAG's way of streamlining their product lineup. I just wonder if they will have M1 and M2 iron lines and where do they go from here? If they're going with M1/M2 lines, what are they going to do with the next, M1.1/M2.1? The names could be a little confusing, advertising will be interesting. I do like the simplistic names much better than Aeroburner or Jetspeed or Speedbladez or, well you get it. I also agree that $299 price point might have helped it a little and left out the adjustable hosel.

I could be wrong, but the hosel looks like it has marks around it. Adjustable?

I could be wrong, but the hosel looks like it has marks around it. Adjustable?
Yes...

I have hope for the fairways.

I don't get the naming convention or the quick release. Not in the sense of they are releasing too fast, but more of the M1 "seemed" to be getting some traction and popularity. To release this one as the M2 indicates to the avg golfer that TM has given up on the M1. I would have liked to see another name or a continuation of the Aeroburner line.

Time will tell, but just the name alone feels like TM has an uphill battle to market this one. Which may be wrong, but time will tell.

I'm confused. Is it aero replacement or cheaper m1 tech?
Weight is further back, so imo it looks to be what the aero should have been (an option for the rest of the spectrum).

I'd love to get some swings in with it.

#ClubClash

Weight is further back, so imo it looks to be what the aero should have been (an option for the rest of the spectrum).

I'd love to get some swings in with it.

#ClubClash
It's a bold move and something I think we saw ping get criticized for a bit last year with g30 (although I am not sure titleist could do any wrong with theirs if you asked )....

Should be fun to see the differences in hand and in results.

I'll hit it.

Personally, I don't care what it's called, but understand how it can be confusing to the average consumer.

Need to hit this and he M1.

I'll hit it.

Personally, I don't care what it's called, but understand how it can be confusing to the average consumer.

We shall take turns alternating at #ClubClash, deal?

Am I crazy thinking that they should have been targeting a $250-$300 price point?

I'll hit it.

Same here performance can easily make one forget about the name of the stick

Same here performance can easily make one forget about the name of the stick

Yep!

However, if it's watered down version of the M1, I can see how TM is going to get hated on even more.

Am I crazy thinking that they should have been targeting a $250-$300 price point?

The more I think about this, the less I understand what "should" be.

If you want to draw comparisons, start with Callaway and their XR line (350) vs their GBB (450)
Ping G30 was 375-400 for all three versions
Titleist 915 D2/D3 was 499 and D4 over 600.

That's what makes this unique. If they are dropping tech it's going to be cheaper to make, but it looks enough like M1 to draw obvious comparisons. Are people going to see this as a cheaper "M" driver, or a model geared towards improved launch/forgiveness?

Man judging by the comments Taylor Made is damned if they do damned if they don't. Many other companies have just as many (if not more) releases and release drivers with less tech than their flag ship model.
I think the days of the 299 driver is over (other than a few). I am excited to see how they compliment the m1 here and personally I think if they change the naming to 1 and 2 to signify the characteristics of the clubs over time it will actually make a lot of sense.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Man judging by the comments Taylor Made is damned if they do damned if they don't. Many other companies have just as many (if not more) releases and release drivers with less tech than their flag ship model.
I think the days of the 299 driver is over (other than a few). I am excited to see how they compliment the m1 here and personally I think if they change the naming to 1 and 2 to signify the characteristics of the clubs over time it will actually make a lot of sense.

I tend to agree here.
My rule of thumb however is of its a "family of products" release at the same time so people can choose what is right for them.

I said the same thin about ping last year and Callaway the year before that with v series being part of Bertha.

Otherwise I am al for releases as it pertains to the consumer.

I tend to agree here.
My rule of thumb however is of its a "family of products" release at the same time so people can choose what is right for them.

I said the same thin about ping last year and Callaway the year before that with v series being part of Bertha.

Otherwise I am al for releases as it pertains to the consumer.
I do agree everything should have come out at the same time. I am wondering if this is just TM way of positioning themselves to have a major release at both pga show time and fall like many other companies are doing now. But that said if it is the same family keep them at the same time unless it is a replacement

does that price point exist anymore?

does that price point exist anymore?
Not really. The last one I can think of was the Burner Superfast. That's why it would be smart to enter. In my opinion at least.

In consumer minds only. It was time for an increase companies have held back for a LONG time

Agree completely on that.

I agree they should have used a different naming convention, but I'm excited to hit it. The M1 gave me good results, but not good enough for me to switch due to price. If this gives me similar results in a simpler (read: cheaper) package, I may just be interested in picking up a head for experimentation.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Not really. The last one I can think of was the Burner Superfast. That's why it would be smart to enter. In my opinion at least.
Or get it viewed as cheap/inferior. Its a double edged sword.

I really don't like the name. I quickly saw the thread and assumed they'd come out with an improved version of the prior model. I'm surprised they could be so dumb about this.

This is correct, as it was stated in the THP article last month. I know people will flock to the "they release too fast" and "the M1 is already obsolete", but that is not the case. While I dont think they should have released it yet, since everybody (including me) knew it was coming, I do believe they should have gone with a different naming convention.

The average golfer is not going to listen to their marketing about the M Family, and instead view it as a replacement, although a quick look will see it is "stripped down" (I dont mean that negatively). I also think the price is bold at $349 based on the last 24 months for them, but we shall see.
This is exactly how I viewed it. It's hard not to see M1 followed by M2 and imagine that the M2 is a replacement. My only explanation is an attempt to get away from the Aeroburner's rather garish colorway and badging. But they could have chosen anything else in the world that would have sounded less like "I'm the M1's sequel" than M2.

The funny thing is that of the two drivers, I'll probably hit the M2 better.

Back