Worst People you have run into on the course?

AshMan

Passionate Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
As the title states, I'd love to read a good story about the worst person or people you have run into on the course while playing, be it someone who joined your group or was in a group you joined, Someone who was in another group but decided that you were a problem or had a problem with your pace of play that you had no control over, or that was just down right an A-Hole or Just an Angry SOB…

Here goes mine, which is probably the first time I have ever had a round like this, and the best part is, well you gotta read the story to find out.

And if the story Rambles a bit, I'm trying to add some details for you which sometimes seems like a ramble. ohh I am rambling now I think too.

Played on a very windy day with my dad a few weeks ago at a different course that we haven't played before just for some more variety. our two-some became a 3-some as one other gentleman joined us. We are on I think the 13th or 14th hole par 4, 385 yards - we had been playing from about 10 am and it is around 1:30 pm so within an average pace of play for courses around here usually 15 minutes or so per hole. Wind is behind us on this hole and still pretty strong. (when hitting into the wind on this day, my drives lost about 60 - 80 yards if they were too high or if the wind was blowing right to left or left to right, had to aim for the wind direction which would push it the other way…) My average drive between 240 - 260 but have been known hit bombers between 280-300.

My dad hits his usual short drive (pretty much an average shot for him, short and not much height (he hardly gets proper contact with the ball and he is known for pulling off a flop shot with his driver LOL), the guy with us hits a short drive (he had a half back swing type of shot so not much distance, but consistently got the ball or really close to the fairway just not more than 150 yards). And he lands as well near my dad's (both him and my dad well into their 70's and my dad is well not a very good golfer but he loves the game). I hit a Bomber, Probably best drive I have hit the whole day that I definitely saw take off straight with a slight draw (for once LOL) land in the fairway left of the middle area. The other guy hits an ok 2nd shot with his hybrid. my dad duffs, then duffs again, and then finally gets one to within a shortish distance to the green meaning my dad's 70 yard 7 iron may make it there. The other guy gets his close to the green's edge. now mind you this has been all of maybe 6 minutes total for all of this. including travel time to the balls. And I haven't even been able to go to my ball yet.

Now I am finally getting to look for my ball which I know was in the fairway, but do not see it where I saw it land. I have been looking for literally all of 30 seconds. when this guy from the group (a two-some) behind us comes tearing up the fairway and starts yelling at me and bitching me out that we are slowing up play, asks me if I know how to play golf and generally just being an A hole, He yells at me with an attitude some more and then demands to wave him up. I said whatever guy go back to the tee box and continued looking for my ball. He goes back and gets his buddy and they skip over to the next hole in front of us where the group in front of us had just teed off. I finally find my ball about 15 seconds later, way way farther up than I had expected and it was 80 yards from the green. Like I said a Bomber (though wind assisted on this day, but it did go from the tee 305). Chip up onto the green, and two putt in for a par (fantastic hole for me. the seemore ptm1 was actually my saving grace that day), my dad takes an 8, the other guy with us takes a double.

As we are approaching the next tee, I see the two a holes that gave me a hard time and yelled at me, finally tee off, and watch both of them hit lousy drives off the fence on the right which lines a freeway (it was into the wind and it was really windy), then skull their 2nd shots, then hit their 3rd shots short of the elevated green, then chip up and then putt out. they probably got double or triple bogey on the hole (and we were waiting for them on the tee box for about 5 - 6 minutes at this time.

We finish the hole, next one is a par 3, by the time we are on the tee box, they are approaching their balls to start hitting their 2nd shots. so wait, they haven't even hit the green yet on a par 3? but they are such good golfers.... Of course I like an idiot decide to drive up to them and give the guy that gave me a hassle some of his own medicine. So I tell him he should wave us up because that is the proper etiquette and ask if he knows how to play - Touche buddy. He seemed to get quite mad at this of course but I thought it was funny because he was getting back what he dished out to me. I thought it was going to become a hockey fight at this point, cause he was getting a bit red in the face. But, whatever, he didn't intimidate me in the least bit. They finally finish up, We tee off and we finish the hole (yeah I got a double bogey), and guess what, they are now as before, short and all over the place on the next hole and we are waiting on the tee box for over 5 minutes while they hit enough shots to be out of range.

Bottom line is the guy was an a-hole with a capital "A" and even with trying to complain that we don't know how to play, he ended up holding us up more than we held him up. I thought it was hilarious myself. of course a two-some will play faster than a 3-some or four-some any day of the week. I still played within my normal scoring range either way, my dad still played his normal 120 + anyway, and I still had a good time because I was on the course. And our pace of play was still on par with the average for our area.

Overall I still had fun, and I got a funny story out of the day.

There's always a few of those around... Fortunately, I encounter these a**holes very rarely!

Golf is an honorable game played by many less than honorable people.

Sounds like you both acted exactly the same. You should have just ignored him.

Golf is just like life in general. There are @ssclowns around every corner.

People that have 0 regard for your safety and 0 common sense by needlessly hitting into you multiple times.

The worst people that I have come across is always alcohol/drug induced.

I played in Canada once and got paired up with two some and on the 3 hole the lit up. Which I don't care it's really none of my business. They effects must've started kicking by the 6th hole because he became a complete ahole, telling me he hates America and Americans and I shouldn't be up there taking work from Canadians... I couldn't get out of the group fast enough.

Then last year one of the golf trips the first day, we had a rain delay between rounds and which seemed to mean lots of alcohol consumption. But anyways some how a group of 16 (4 4somes)jumped ahead of us teeing off. And the 1st was a doozy. They decided playing from the Tips and not 1 person out if 16 hit the fairway. So by the 3rd hole it had gotten ungodly slow. Every hole they'd look for golf balls, but not I'm going to go hit mine then help you find yours, everyone looked for one ball then went to theirs.

Anyways I made a comment to my buddy, saying that must be the golden golf ball because he spends at least 5 minutes a hole looking for it.

Well one of the groups in front of them heard me and said just chill the course is just slow. I told him no it's your group that's holding up the whole course.

The antics continued all round but I fast forward and hit the high notes. The continued yelling at us calling my buddies dad Pylon(he was wearing an orange shirt, which probably pissed me off the most),calling my buddy a F*g for carrying a towel, wanted to fight me on the 12th( we've ignored them from the 5th hole because there was no reasoning), and the 18th was the kicker the most drunk one and his cart mate, drove up the 18th as we were playing it in. They'd park their cart right next to me and just running their mouth the whole time we were hitting. It took a lot of restraint to not just drag him out of the cart big but buddies dad did a good job making us keep our cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive always had a few issues with the extremely wealthy on the course who treated me like I just don't belong.I used to drive a semi trailer and when I told a few golfers they would give you this look.The look of why do you even play golf.This was the biggest reason why I never got more involved in the game.The attitude of a few stuck up golfers turned me off to the game.This year I'm going to try and get more serious with golf.If I run into these types again I'm not sure how I will react.It always seemed to me that golf was a game for only a certain class.Maybe I'm not being open minded,But I have had it happen to me on numerous occasions

I'm on hole nine as a single behind 4 total douches playing from the tips. I've been waiting on them for the last 3 holes and they won't let me play through. They tee off and the one guy spends a good 5 minutes looking for the ball in the weeds. Of course he could not find it so he droves back to the tee box to hit another one.

I asked "what are you doing?" He said he "I can't find my ball so I need to hit another one."

My response was "then just drop another one and and take the Penalty."

His response "that's not what they do in tournaments."

My response "you aren't playing in a tournament and you are holding me and the rest of the course up."

His response "we are playing for big money so we have to play by the rules."

My response "then you should have hit a provisional."

He then called me a name and told me to **** off mr professional.

I said "I hope you shank it into the woods". Fortunately he didn't so they got the hole done and off the course since they started on 10.

It was terrible. First, they were the stereotypical frat boy looking too cool for school group that insists on playing from the tips because that's what real men do (7100 yards). Second every single one was a double digit handicap and should have been playing from the blues (6500 yards) or even the whites (6100 yards). Third there was no one in front of them and it you want to play for "big money" and play by the rules to a tee, then let the 3 groups behind you through. Finally, just because the pros do it on TV doesn't mean you do too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ive always had a few issues with the extremely wealthy on the course who treated me like I just don't belong.I used to drive a semi trailer and when I told a few golfers they would give you this look.The look of why do you even play golf.This was the biggest reason why I never got more involved in the game.The attitude of a few stuck up golfers turned me off to the game.This year I'm going to try and get more serious with golf.If I run into these types again I'm not sure how I will react.It always seemed to me that golf was a game for only a certain class.Maybe I'm not being open minded,But I have had it happen to me on numerous occasions
I will say that most of the extremely wealthy people on the golf course will never let you know or feel like they are exremely wealthy. It is the guys who THINK that they have money who come across like snobs, more often than not. Living in AZ and playing A LOT of golf in Scottsdale, I see this attitude a fair amount.

Worst person on the course I have ever encountered - I was working at a golf course as the F&B manager. I am on the third hole, after work, late afternoon. One of the members comes up to me and starts bitching about something going on in the restaurant, probably something like he did not like the lunch offerings. I listened to him for a few moments, then asked him to see me the next day, we could discuss it more. Again, I am on the golf course.
He gets in my face, starts yelling at me, cursing me out for not taking him seriously. I (being not very good at being yelled at) started in on him, and let him have a dose of what he gave me. Long story short, that was the beginning of the end of my time as F&B director!!

So, the worst guy was me. But things turned out just fine.

Yeah I ran into a threesome yesterday where at least two of them were terribly slow and refused to let me through as a single, even though it was clear in front of them. Finally after one of the guys shanked two off the tee, the third guy waved me through. After hitting the green with my tee shot, I walked to my ball to putt, but the hole was on the far side, so I figured I'd lag it up there and then pull the pin to speed things up. After I putt, one of the guys says it's too bad I now incurred a penalty for leaving the flagstick in. They kept harassing me about it as I made the par putt, with the flagstick out, telling me it would have been a nice par. I just said enjoy the round guys, thanks for letting me through. What I really wanted to say is you don't know the fn rules and shut the f up when I'm putting, and btw, good luck finding your crappy tee shots off in the woods.

Just could have done without all the business as I'm putting and trying to get out of there quickly for them.

I'm on hole nine as a single behind 4 total douches playing from the tips. I've been waiting on them for the last 3 holes and they won't let me play through. They tee off and the one guy spends a good 5 minutes looking for the ball in the weeds. Of course he could not find it so he droves back to the tee box to hit another one.

I asked "what are you doing?" He said he "I can't find my ball so I need to hit another one."

My response was "then just drop another one and and take the Penalty."

His response "that's not what they do in tournaments."

My response "you aren't playing in a tournament and you are holding me and the rest of the course up."

His response "we are playing for big money so we have to play by the rules."

My response "then you should have hit a provisional."

He then called me a name and told me to **** off mr professional.

I said "I hope you shank it into the woods". Fortunately he didn't so they got the hole done and off the course since they started on 10.

It was terrible. First, they were the stereotypical frat boy looking too cool for school group that insists on playing from the tips because that's what real men do (7100 yards). Second every single one was a double digit handicap and should have been playing from the blues (6500 yards) or even the whites (6100 yards). Third there was no one in front of them and it you want to play for "big money" and play by the rules to a tee, then let the 3 groups behind you through. Finally, just because the pros do it on TV doesn't mean you do too.

I read this as you being the problem as well.Are you good enough to play the back tees?This sounds like another reason I never got more involved in golf.Guys like you pushing others to play at your pace or ability.I would be more than happy to wave you thru believe me.And who are you to decide what tees someone should play?If one pays to play,one can play whatever tee they want

I read this as you being the problem as well.Are you good enough to play the back tees?This sounds like another reason I never got more involved in golf.Guys like you pushing others to play at your pace or ability.I would be more than happy to wave you thru believe me.And who are you to decide what tees someone should play?If one pays to play,one can play whatever tee they want

Seriously???? How am I the problem. I play from the proper tees and these guys had 3 groups held up. I was a single bit there were two foursomes behind me waiting every shot because of these clowns. We all caught up to them.

I play the blue tees (6500 yards) because I'm not a scratch golfer and at my course low single digit players are the only ones that should be playing from the 7,100 yard tees.

If you are playing a 5 hour round because you are playing for "big money" then find an empty course or let the other groups through.

When you cannot drive the ball past 250 yards consistently you should not be playing from 7100 yards.

Golf is just like life in general. There are @ssclowns around every corner.
More in golf than Anyother sport I have tried.This attitude that many have,it so much of a turn off to me.Personally I find it very cold and creepy at times.This is a great thread and one that I can relate to on my ventures in this game.Reading this already puts thoughts in my mind of just playing less than casual golf again this year

Seriously???? How am I the problem. I play from the proper tees and these guys had 3 groups held up. I was a single bit there were two foursomes behind me waiting every shot because of these clowns. We all caught up to them.

I play the blue tees (6500 yards) because I'm not a scratch golfer and at my course low single digit players are the only ones that should be playing from the 7,100 yard tees.

If you are playing a 5 hour round because you are playing for "big money" then find an empty course or let the other groups through.

When you cannot drive the ball past 250 yards consistently you should not be playing from 7100 yards.

who are you to dictate where they play from and how they play?True,they should've let you play thru.But don't ruin the day for them because you want to order them how to play the game.I would wave you thru even if you had a foursome and I was a single.If I'm paying to play,I'm going to play what tee I want to.Not because you want to be the enforcer

The worst I can remember was a guy that joined us last year when we were on vacation in Florida. He was a local and laughed and criticized 80% of the shots hit by the 3 of us that day. After every missed putt he would say something like, "Yeah, you should've played more break on that one." He also offered a bunch of mental tips to all of us during the round. Non stop chatter and laughter out of him for 4 hours! I shot 74 and was criticized or analyzed 50+ times that day. If it wasn't for a very attentive beer cart lady it would have been brutal - but we all started mimicking him after about the 3rd hole and had a very enjoyable, and memorable round. When ever I play with those 2 buddies we all mimic him for some laughs.

Played on a very windy day with my dad a few weeks ago at a different course that we haven't played before just for some more variety. our two-some became a 3-some as one other gentleman joined us. We are on I think the 13th or 14th hole par 4, 385 yards - we had been playing from about 10 am and it is around 1:30 pm so within an average pace of play for courses around here usually 15 minutes or so per hole. Wind is behind us on this hole and still pretty strong. (when hitting into the wind on this day, my drives lost about 60 - 80 yards if they were too high or if the wind was blowing right to left or left to right, had to aim for the wind direction which would push it the other way…) My average drive between 240 - 260 but have been known hit bombers between 280-300.

My dad hits his usual short drive (pretty much an average shot for him, short and not much height (he hardly gets proper contact with the ball and he is known for pulling off a flop shot with his driver LOL), the guy with us hits a short drive (he had a half back swing type of shot so not much distance, but consistently got the ball or really close to the fairway just not more than 150 yards). And he lands as well near my dad's (both him and my dad well into their 70's and my dad is well not a very good golfer but he loves the game). I hit a Bomber, Probably best drive I have hit the whole day that I definitely saw take off straight with a slight draw (for once LOL) land in the fairway left of the middle area. The other guy hits an ok 2nd shot with his hybrid. my dad duffs, then duffs again, and then finally gets one to within a shortish distance to the green meaning my dad's 70 yard 7 iron may make it there. The other guy gets his close to the green's edge. now mind you this has been all of maybe 6 minutes total for all of this. including travel time to the balls. And I haven't even been able to go to my ball yet.

Why weren't you able to go to your ball?

who are you to dictate where they play from and how they play?True,they should've let you play thru.But don't ruin the day for them because you want to order than how to play the game.I would wave you thru even if you had a foursome and I was a single.

It's called golf etiquette. If one plays by the rules to a tee then that is fine but there is a rule for a provisional ball and it should have been played. Furthermore play from the tees that matches ones ability. At my course, one will not even reach the fairway from the black tees if one cannot drive the ball at least 240 yards. Then one still has 200+ yards into the green. If one cannot reach the green in 2 shots on a par 4 when striking the ball pure on both shots, then yes you are playing from the wrong tees.

I still don't understand shy you are turning this on me other than you being a troll.

The worst I can remember was a guy that joined us last year when we were on vacation in Florida. He was a local and laughed and criticized 80% of the shots hit by the 3 of us that day. After every missed putt he would say something like, "Yeah, you should've played more break on that one." He also offered a bunch of mental tips to all of us during the round. Non stop chatter and laughter out of him for 4 hours! I shot 74 and was criticized or analyzed 50+ times that day. If it wasn't for a very attentive beer cart lady it would have been brutal - but we all started mimicking him after about the 3rd hole and had a very enjoyable, and memorable round. When ever I play with those 2 buddies we all mimic him for some laughs.

Those players are the worst. Please don't give me advice or criticism and don't tell me where I want to hit it unless I ask.

who are you to dictate where they play from and how they play?True,they should've let you play thru.But don't ruin the day for them because you want to order them how to play the game.I would wave you thru even if you had a foursome and I was a single.If I'm paying to play,I'm going to play what tee I want to.Not because you want to be the enforcer

I don't think saying he should pick the tees for them, he's saying if pace of play isn't kept at those tees then you need to move up. I've been to some nice courses around my house that you have to prove your a low single digit, before the starter will allow you to play the back tees.

Also as the single 95% of the time, why is their time on the course more valuable than mine? You keep bringing that they paid to play, so they should be able to play how/where they want. But what about everyone behind them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's called golf etiquette. If one plays by the rules to a tee then that is fine but there is a rule for a provisional ball and it should have been played. Furthermore play from the tees that matches ones ability. At my course, one will not even reach the fairway from the black tees if one cannot drive the ball at least 240 yards. Then one still has 200+ yards into the green. If one cannot reach the green in 2 shots on a par 4 when striking the ball pure on both shots, then yes you are playing from the wrong tees.

I still don't understand shy you are turning this on me other than you being a troll.

troll?Really!All I read here is you enforcing people how they should play this game like you.Have your own club if how other people play isn't up to your approval.

I will say that most of the extremely wealthy people on the golf course will never let you know or feel like they are exremely wealthy. It is the guys who THINK that they have money who come across like snobs, more often than not. Living in AZ and playing A LOT of golf in Scottsdale, I see this attitude a fair amount.

+1,000,000 for sure!

Why weren't you able to go to your ball?

It's in the next paragraph. He was in the fairway and everybody else was still away.

It's in the next paragraph. He was in the fairway and everybody else was still away.
The way I read it, OP was standing by his dad and the other golfer while they hit up. Only went to look for his ball until the rest of the group was up that far.

That is slow play to me.

Speaking of drunks there was a 2 some in front of us and the one guy was slamming a beer every hole. He was so drunk on the back 9 it was comical but we had no where to go as the course was backed up. Then my partner hit a spectacular drive that cleared the creek and just kept rolling - about 10 yards from mr beer. The creek is 250 out and his longest drive all day was 220 at best so we didn't think there was any chance of hitting into them.

Anyway the guy started cussing and screaming. My partner apologized profusely. For the remaining holes this guy was a complete jerk. He kept yelling at us and at one point wanted to fight my partner. We just ignored him. Then on 18 he decides to lay down on the fairway about 230 yards out. He laid there for over 10 minutes. 4 groups were now backed up onto the tee box. We didn't want to approach him because he was a good 18 beers into the round if not more. We called the club house and they eventually sent someone out but by that point he picked up and left.

I should have called the police because he hopped in his car and sped off drunk as a skunk.

Back