What is your preferred iron profile?

I have looked down at many iron sets and I really don't mind any profile but I would have to say that Apex just really fits my eye really well.

Love my J15 DPFs, profile is a little hefty but not too much as my MTs were, and I need some GI to get the most out of my game.

I don't really care for the SGI. Like a nice topline not too thin not too thick gives me confidence that if I mishit it, it won't feel like I'm hitting a rock. Currently gaming 714 AP1 but will try the Wilson SC200 in graphite

I really like these new teener irons, even if I should play a SGI.

something in the og Apex - F5 - forged tec category

Mid sized cavity back forged irons that that have some meat in the sole but do not allow me to see the back of the sole at address.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I would say a mid-size cavity back that isn't clunky. Give me cavity back that is closer to the look of a blade and I am happy.

I literally don't know. Or, rather, don't have a single preferred profile. I have shot some of my lowest scores with blades, "players" clubs, GI, and SGI. I have shot some of my worst scores with the same profiles. I do know that I tend to have a cycle, where I'll prefer a "chunkier" club for a while, and then I start to tend towards smaller and smaller profiles, until I end up playing my blades for several rounds, then the cycle goes the other direction.

Generally speaking, though, I like the profile to not be huge, but not too small, and to have a topline that is a touch thicker. I'm thinking about the original Apex topline, with this thought.

I like somewhere in the player/gi area. J15df, j15dpf, apex cf16, xr pro are all good to my eye

Blade for sure. It's what fits my eye the best because it just looks damn good at address. However with that said I like the look of a rounder blade kind of like the 716 MBs

Blade for sure. It's what fits my eye the best because it just looks damn good at address. However with that said I like the look of a rounder blade kind of like the 716 MBs

No one expected this answer Jimmy. No one. :alien:

No one expected this answer Jimmy. No one. :alien:
Haha to be fair the newer CB type irons like the Apex Pros, J15 CB, Cobra CB all look damn good and would absolutely pass the test for my eye at address. They don't leave anything to be desired honestly.

Definitely a purest when it comes to club profiles. Love the blade and muscle back style. I currently have a set of hogan blades with the apex plus in 4 and 5 iron and a set up Bridgestone J Combo irons.

Definitely a purest when it comes to club profiles. Love the blade and muscle back style. I currently have a set of hogan blades with the apex plus in 4 and 5 iron and a set up Bridgestone J Combo irons.

You game them brilliantly too my friend.

I prefer "players" cavity irons. Small top line, small/medium to medium sole. Mizuno MP-25, J15 CB, S55's come to mind in terms of preferred shape/size for me.

Haha to be fair the newer CB type irons like the Apex Pros, J15 CB, Cobra CB all look damn good and would absolutely pass the test for my eye at address. They don't leave anything to be desired honestly.

I was about to grief you.

The CBs are what belong in your bag. No question in my mind.

I think my perfect iron would be something like the Z545/F5/Cf16, but with a longer blade for more confidence.

Only because I am hard pressed to find something that performs better for me in total.

j15cb730.jpg

And they look pretty dang good too. Although I might be slightly biased.

I was about to grief you.

The CBs are what belong in your bag. No question in my mind.
They feel better lol. Just don't look better lol.

Blade blade blade. The thinner the top line the better. I prefer to see as little of the club as possible from address.

J40CB, Z745, and MP-25. All beautiful irons to my eye, solid satin finish though.

They feel better lol. Just don't look better lol.

A week away from the blades and I am telling you right now, they look the same where it matters...

And actually I think the Titleist CBs look better than the MBs.

I gravitate to clubs like the vapor pro combos but really it doesn't matter much.

I prefer the smaller compact heads. My least favorite thing to look at in an iron is if the toe of the iron seems like it's excessive. I like a thinner top-line, but it's not nearly as important to me as the length of the head.

One of my favorite heads of all time is the Titleist 990B. Often wish I would have never sold mine and also contemplate buying an older set off ebay from time to time.

This does not surprise me in the least. Off-topic: We need to have you play one round with some sort of high-launching iron set. That would be entertaining - tracking hang-time records on iron shots.

I like an iron with a thinner topline, but with the tech built behind it to enhance forgiveness. From a pure aesthetic look I would go with Apex (OG & CF16), Srixon Z545 & Z745, Wilson FG Tour M3 & F5

I'm really liking what I see from some of the newer progressive style sets, maybe something that starts with some cavity in the long irons and blends down to not quite a blade in the 9-wedges. Always seemed to suit my eye.

Back