Sleep, Insomnia, Lack of Quality - ways to manage

DNice26

Happy to be here...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all,

I’ve been struggling to stay asleep at night for some time now and I’m getting to the point where I need to look for solutions. How do you get a good night sleep? Tips, thoughts, stories, all welcome.
I’m probably getting enough sleep so I don’t lose my mind completely, but I’m always tired and now planning to seek help or options.

I have a few theories on my issues:
1. Work stress is very high. I manage supply chain in neuro and oncology for a pharma company and I’ll be honest that I’m on edge.
2. Screen time. I’m on my phone, likely too much (hence this post).
3. Struggle to find any time to exercise outside of my opportunities to play golf.
I’m going to try and address these top 3 before I go down the road of medication or the like.

So how do you folks deal?

PS: I don’t take anything away from people who have true insomnia. I’m not sure if I even fall into that category and even having a taste of it is terrible. I would hope anyone with insomnia would seek help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't sleep a full night's worth except on a rare occasion. Tonight I tried to go to bed early but 2 phone calls in a row as soon as I tried to lay down had me wide awake again. Then I was up till after midnight and now up before 5. Its really not unusual for me to wake between 2-3 in the morning and be up for the rest of the night. I definitely feel your pain. I have yet to find a solution to the problem and there really is no specific cause, but honestly I have never really tried to find either. I have dealt with it so long I am just kind of used to it. I do get in a decent nap every once in a while and that definitely helps.

I don't sleep a full night's worth except on a rare occasion. Tonight I tried to go to bed early but 2 phone calls in a row as soon as I tried to lay down had me wide awake again. Then I was up till after midnight and now up before 5. Its really not unusual for me to wake between 2-3 in the morning and be up for the rest of the night. I definitely feel your pain. I have yet to find a solution to the problem and there really is no specific cause, but honestly I have never really tried to find either. I have dealt with it so long I am just kind of used to it. I do get in a decent nap every once in a while and that definitely helps.

Thanks, sounds like you may get even less sleep than I do. My saving grace is I try to be asleep by like 10:30pm. I usually sleep fairly well until around 2:30am...then I struggle the remainder of the night. Work thoughts then creep in and maybe I grab my phone.
I’m with you in the camp of dealing with it, but I’m kinda sick of it because I noticed that my work stress and being tired makes me irritable and I can be bitchy to my wife and daughter. I hate that more than anything....

Its tough for sure but I worked a lot of late and weird shifts for years when I was doing law enforcement. It was not unusual for me to work 4pm to 8am and have to be back at work at 4pm. I am not one that sleeps well when the sun is up either except for an occasional nap. I guess over time I just got used to it. Sometimes I do doze a bit in the recliner but I would not call it quality sleep. More just really tired and got up so not to wake the wife or kid and found myself dozing a bit while sitting in front the TV at 4am.

How much caffeine do you drink during the day? Try no caffeine after lunch and see if it helps.

I know this is taboo, but my wife and I brought some weed gummy bears back from a recent trip to California. When anxiety or stress start to rear their head just taking 1/3 to 1/2 of one mellows me right back out. My best coworker recently quit and took another job so the 3 folks left on our team have been way overloaded for the last 4 weeks and my stress has been high because I write code and my other 2 coworkers are much slower than I am so I get a lot of the work. I think with anxiety it kind of builds on itself so when you don't nip it it can just keep winding us tighter and tighter. Also put your phone away and read a book before bed. No coffee after noon. Limit booze intake as drunk sleep is not very high quality.

I have struggled with this for years. It is 325am here and I just woke up but that would be considered sleeping in for me as I'm normally wide awake at 2am. I don't know what the solution is and I refuse to take anything even OTC sleep aids. I am usually in bed by 9-930 every night but that is still only 5-6 hours of sleep.

Limit coffee in the afternoon, limit the phone on the evening (doesn't let our brain shut down, more on that in a minute), and don't exercise later in the day. I'm not a doctor, this is just some pseudoscience info I've found to be pretty true

Whether it be insomnia, anxiety, workaholic (or just falling to the demand of the job), your brain needs to be told to shut down. Evolutionarily speaking, when the lights (fires/candles) went out our brains produce this neurotransmitter that helps shut down the central nervous system. With the development of synthetic lights, phones, the etc that we use at night, our brains are not properly triggered to shut down. Add in the racing thoughts, projecting of the next day, etc, and they down calm properly.

I've used and still do occasionally, a supplement called GABA, which is the neurotransmitter that helps relax the CNS. It's over the counter (vitamin shoppe), non narcotic, no dependence or abuse potential, no tolerance forming (unlike melatonin, which also gave me super vivid dreams), and helps me enter that rem sleep so I feel very refreshed in the morning. All those sleepy time teas have gaba in it, but a bunch of other stuff too.

I work with psychiatrist and none of them really recommend Ambien, lunesta, etc as they are pretty heavy narcotics and people have some bad reaction or dependence issues. A prescribed non narcotic option would be trazadone, but consult with your doctor. The trick with that is you have to take it 30-45 min before sleep and not get up or you may miss the sleep window.

Tips to relax and fall asleep.. I use the sock method.. basically you hold a pair of your socks in your hand and you focus your mind on that only. As you start to drift off, the socks fall to the floor to to the bed with a soft landing, not something loud that'll wake you up.

Hope that helps a little!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1. Work stress is very high. I manage supply chain in neuro and oncology for a pharma company and I’ll be honest that I’m on edge.
3. Struggle to find any time to exercise outside of my opportunities to play golf.
I’m going to try and address these top 3 before I go down the road of medication or the like.

Fortunately, I don't have this problem often, but when I do it's exactly as you describe. For me, it's almost always some kind of stress keeping me up. My mind races and won't let me fall back to sleep. I think you're definitely on the right track by addressing these things. Try to carve out 30 min a day for some kind of exercise you enjoy like jogging, rowing machine, mountain bike, weight lifting, etc. It's good for the body and will also help manage stress. Just don't work out right before bed. It works for some people, but I've found it keeps me awake for awhile.

Hey all,

I’ve been struggling to stay asleep at night for some time now and I’m getting to the point where I need to look for solutions. How do you get a good night sleep? Tips, thoughts, stories, all welcome.
I’m probably getting enough sleep so I don’t lose my mind completely, but I’m always tired and now planning to seek help or options.

So how do you folks deal?

PS: I don’t take anything away from people who have true insomnia. I’m not sure if I even fall into that category and even having a taste of it is terrible. I would hope anyone with insomnia would seek help.

How long has it been going on for?

What are you eating / drinking after noon?

How much screen time after work?

Are thoughts keeping you up?

I’ve had occasional sleep issues and am by no means an expert but I will help if I can

I usually don't have a problem getting to and staying asleep, but it doesn't matter what time I go to bed, I always seem to wake up right about 4:30 am.
I assume that is a conditioning thing for going to work.
But, when I do have a problem with getting to sleep(usually caused by work stress) I turn on a radio that I have tuned to a easy listening station and the volume is very low.
I am usually asleep before the end of the 4th song.
Maybe that will help ?

I would say you really should go see your doc before it gets to be a real problem. Lack of quality sleep can REALLY affect your health and family life.

For me the best way to ensure that I sleep well is to exercise at least 5 days each week. Even 25 minutes of cardio on a rower or bike trainer is enough to ensure good sleep.

Do you snore? Can you eliminate sleep apnea?

Turn off the computer and phone at least a half hour before bed - take a quick shower - take melatonin - a hormonal substance that we lose as we grow older - it's also said to be a cancer inhibitor. No dreams yet since using it, just unbroken sleep.

Get your room completely dark and coolish at night.

I have a stereo near the bed and play some old Jim Brickman piano at a soft volume - you might try a wave machine.

Don't think about business - it can wait - I find thinking about my golf swing usually puts me to sleep.

Yes, exercise also helps to keep you healthy, avoid illness/cancer, and helps sleep.

OK - I do the above and get at least 6 hours of no wake up, restful sleep. If I need more, I can get more - but I need to get to bed earlier.

Last edited:
Do you snore? Can you eliminate sleep apnea?

I was thinking about this too. I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP mask for several years. OP should definitely see a doctor if this is suspected. In my case it was excessive snoring and my wife telling me that I frequently stopped breathing while sleeping that finally sent me in.

1. Exercise. If I don’t exercise I don’t sleep well.
2. Figure out your circadian rhythm and go to bed in your sweet spot and wake up in your sweet spot. My ideal bedtime is a window of about 1.5 hours. For me that’s no earlier than 9:45 and no later than 11:15. If I do that I get good sleep and can wake up around 7 or so and don’t need a nap later. If I go to bed too early then I’m up at 3 am. Too late and I have a hard time falling asleep and a hard time getting up.

I picked up a weighted blanket recently as my sleep was awful. Hard time falling asleep. Up 6-7 times a night. Feeling exhausted in the morning. So I took a flyer on the blanket and it's been a big help! Not sure why or how, but it's done the job. I'm actually buying another because my wife has started using it and absolutely loves it... Which isn't good for me and my sleep

https://www.amazon.com/ZonLi-Weighted-170-230lb-Individual-Children/dp/B075W94KB3

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

it happens to me randomly. earlier this week i took a melatonin, woke up a couple hours later and couldn't go back to sleep. it didn't help that my kids were up all too.

then last night i worked til midnight, got home, took a shower, and turned on the phone to watch something and fall asleep. i was so close, then lost my window and was up til 4:30.

Turn off the computer and phone at least a half hour before bed - take a quick shower - take melatonin - a hormonal substance that we lose as we grow older - it's also said to be a cancer inhibitor. No dreams yet since using it, just unbroken sleep.

Get your room completely dark and coolish at night.

I have a stereo near the bed and play some old Jim Brickman piano at a soft volume - you might try a wave machine.

Don't think about business - it can wait - I find thinking about my golf swing usually puts me to sleep.

Yes, exercise also helps to keep you healthy, avoid illness/cancer, and helps sleep.

OK - I do the above and get at least 6 hours of no wake up, restful sleep. If I need more, I can get more - but I need to get to bed earlier.

Great thoughts! I took a small melatonin tab last night. Helped a little but i was still up at like 3:30am. Not too bad though. Will work on a number of your great tips. Thank you.

I picked up a weighted blanket recently as my sleep was awful. Hard time falling asleep. Up 6-7 times a night. Feeling exhausted in the morning. So I took a flyer on the blanket and it's been a big help! Not sure why or how, but it's done the job. I'm actually buying another because my wife has started using it and absolutely loves it... Which isn't good for me and my sleep

https://www.amazon.com/ZonLi-Weighted-170-230lb-Individual-Children/dp/B075W94KB3

Thank you! I heard about these...will try it out!

You've got the 30 day trial with Amazon so worth a try for sure!
Thank you! I heard about these...will try it out!

You've got the 30 day trial with Amazon so worth a try for sure!

Order placed! See how it goes. Another tool in the arsenal. Lol

I was thinking about this too. I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and have been using a CPAP mask for several years. OP should definitely see a doctor if this is suspected. In my case it was excessive snoring and my wife telling me that I frequently stopped breathing while sleeping that finally sent me in.

I think I’m lucky here. Don’t think I have this. Sleep apnea is no joke. I know a guy that had all sorts of health issues and didnt know he had severe sleep apnea.

I’m with you here over the last two months and I haven’t found a working answer yet. Melatonin helps but only keeps me asleep until 4 or so. I’ll be following along and hoping

Back