Your Take on PXG Golf?

I tend to think of it this way. If you walk into any PGA/Golfsmith to buy a full set of the top 5 OEM's clubs, from top to bottom, you would be looking at $1,000-$1,300 for irons, $500 for Driver, $300 for 3W, $200 for utility, $300-$500 for wedges and lets go really nice putter for $250-$350. Almost a $3,000 value. So for someone willing to spend that, another $2,000 for the top of the line isn't that far of a reach.

I would love to try them but would be afraid I'd like 'em and start selling off my retirement funds to purchase them. Will be interesting to follow them along and watch out if one or more of their touring pros wins a few tournaments to start off the 2016 season.

I don't know - nothing would scream "Big Time" more than having a bag full of PXG.

Do you think he's genuinely targeting a market? Based on the quotes I've seen in this thread, it sounds like he couldn't care less whether they sell ten sets or 10,000.

Not that this is a huge market, but he's going after the market who's going to get fit and purchase at one of the boutique clubfitters, and pay the prices they're asking. If you look at what the bill comes out to at somewhere like Club Champion or a place like that, it's not really all that different to what PXG is asking. The question is whether or not that market exists to the extent it can support an entire company in the US. In Asia, I think it does - look at some of the brands like Miura and XXIO. But even then, XXIO is part of a larger group with downmarket brands.

For me and my friends there is no way this brand will work. I love nice cars, watches and the like but I don't need that ego fulfillment in my clubs. Or perhaps another way to say it is that I thought the clubs I have been paying were "good enough".

Do you think he's genuinely targeting a market? Based on the quotes I've seen in this thread, it sounds like he couldn't care less whether they sell ten sets or 10,000.
This. He doesn't care one bit if he loses money, so there really isn't a business model per say. Would totally hit the clubs but zero chance I would buy them. Hell I can't even bring myself to buy an M1 till the price drops.

I just read a few articles on PXG Golf. A full set will cost 5000 dollars. They're supposed to be better than the other brands.

Nice objective, but like the guy said, and I agree, they're too expensive for me. I can't even get myself to buy at normal retail prices. And of course, it'll be a while before these sticks come to my turf for me to try out.

I also wonder how this works out when club preference is such a personal thing. If price = performance = preferences, we'd all be hitting Honma's now.

Your thoughts? Have you tried them?

Better how? Do they put the ball in the hole for you without having to swing? Like Caddyshack? Al Czervik's putter?

The composite material fill in their irons certainly look interesting. I don't know how much better it'd be than other irons as far as performance given the COR limit, as far as feel, there could be something there. Ultimately, if you have to ask how much it costs, it probably isn't for you.

Does anyone really buy the entire set at once? More realistically, we're talking sub 1,000 for irons. Can you justify spending more than twice that (or even settle for simply twice that) on irons? Can most golfers?

It will be really interesting to see how the used market is for PXG.

Honestly don't know, would be a great question to ask the peeps at the big golf stores to see how often that happens. I do bet Trump has a set in play within a few months though!

This. He doesn't care one bit if he loses money, so there really isn't a business model per say. Would totally hit the clubs but zero chance I would buy them. Hell I can't even bring myself to buy an M1 till the price drops.

I think it's a slight leap to think that a guy who has amassed his kind of wealth doesn't care if he loses money and did this without a business model. Not saying his model is right, but gotta believe he thinks he can make coin on the idea.

I think it's a slight leap to think that a guy who has amassed his kind of wealth doesn't care if he loses money and did this without a business model. Not saying his model is right, but gotta believe he thinks he can make coin on the idea.

It's practically a direct quote (from a lot of people).

I just read an article where he insinuated that he's not worried about making money on them NOW.

I would love to hit them just to see what all the hype is about......but at $2500 for a set of irons, it's not happening

I was disagreeing with the premise that Parsons doesn't care if he loses money or that he didnt have a business plan when he decided to start this venture. I think he thinks he will make serious money and become a player in the industry. I think Parsons is wrong though.

I was disagreeing with the premise that Parsons doesn't care if he loses money or that he didnt have a business plan when he decided to start this venture. I think he thinks he will make serious money and become a player in the industry. I think Parsons is wrong though.

The only way I see that being plausible is if PXG makes something that just shatters every aspect of what is currently being built... Driving people to buy it 'at any cost' to them.

I've got a hard time believing that, but maybe he'll shock the world.

I agree.

I love the way the clubs (minus the logo) look but something about the premise of "For the select few who have the means and the desire to play golf with the very best" rubs me the wrong way and I'm not one to begrudge anyone making money or spending it how they see fit.

Wonder if PXG is going to go over the top w/ commercials for on air coverage of the Hyundai Tournament of Champions?

I mi could see it happening since ZJ will be getting a lot of air time as the reigning winner.

Wonder if PXG is going to go over the top w/ commercials for on air coverage of the Hyundai Tournament of Champions?

I mi could see it happening since ZJ will be getting a lot of air time as the reigning winner.
Hadn't considered this. Have they mentioned advertising on the broadcasts?

Except that Zach isn't the reigning champion. That would be Patrick Reed. Zach won the tournament 2 years ago.

I enjoy rare items. I've spent quite a bit on jdm / limited stuff. These don't call my name for some reason though

Except that Zach isn't the reigning champion. That would be Patrick Reed. Zach won the tournament 2 years ago.
I saw a replay of Zach's winning final round last night & assumed it was from last year. My mistake.

Hadn't considered this. Have they mentioned advertising on the broadcasts?

According to one article, parsons says they won't even bother show up at the PGA golf exhibit.

Honestly don't know, would be a great question to ask the peeps at the big golf stores to see how often that happens. I do bet Trump has a set in play within a few months though!
They do seem right up his alley!

I find these clubs interesting but not necessary.

I could probably afford them if I have to and in fact they would make me guaranteed shoot scratch I would buy them.
However, it's ME that is the problem not the clubs.

Customized or not there is a point of no return on a TOOL.

I am pretty sure the even if I had a customized set of clubs from these guys Zach Johnson could take my older than Zach - Wilson Staff clubs (70's) out of the attic with a sweet spot the size of a dime and beat the pants out of me.:call-me:

I do think these are great but a premium tool that is unnecessary for success.

The screws on them make them look "bedazzled" to me.

According to one article, parsons says they won't even bother show up at the PGA golf exhibit.

They wont be.
But I would bet good money that changes in the next 3 years.
It wouldnt make sense to be there this year.

Back