Cheaters never win...or do they?

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
We had our memorial tournament for my friend today. Standard scramble, they did sell skirts mulligans etc. Overall it was a good day and raised a sellout amount for his scholarship fund, which is what's important. On #2 (475yds), they had a long drive. Woods on the right, road and tall weeds on left. I hit a bomb of a drive, I feel like it has a chance to be the long drive of the day. We drive up to my ball to see I'm just inside the hundred stake, putting it at 360ish. I start looking for the marker, it's 10 yards off the green. :bulgy-eyes:a 450yd drive. Guess who's team also shot 22 under.. Maybe that kid needs to be on WLD tour. At the end of the day, the scholarship won, as a ton of money was raised, and a good time was had by all. So what do you think, cheat or the longest drive you've ever seen? What's the worst example of obvious cheating you've seen in these things.

Was it a really dry fairway with tons of roll? I would guess DJ probably hit the drive for them.
Glad they raised lots of money for the scholarship fund.

All the time.

Generally the team with the sharpest pencil wins the scramble.

Generally the team with the sharpest pencil wins the scramble.

And it is usually the last team turning in their card.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was it a really dry fairway with tons of roll? I would guess DJ probably hit the drive for them.
Glad they raised lots of money for the scholarship fund.
It was dry, but I doubt it was that dry. I carried it probably 320? on my shot. The kid that hit it is a local scramble player. Played college golf, wins local tournaments. Still doubt he hit that shot. If he did, he's wasting his time playing local tournaments. The only possibility is he played his "skirt" shot putting him a 100yrs closer, which was illegal per the scramble rules. Meh, just blowing off steam, just amazed at the brazen nature of some people.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I know you are. We did one a couple weeks ago for Relay for Life and same thing happened. I just smile anymore and won't play one unless for a really good cause.

It was dry, but I doubt it was that dry. I carried it probably 320? on my shot. The kid that hit it is a local scramble player. Played college golf, wins local tournaments. Still doubt he hit that shot. If he did, he's wasting his time playing local tournaments. The only possibility is he played his "skirt" shot putting him a 100yrs closer, which was illegal per the scramble rules. Meh, just blowing off steam, just amazed at the brazen nature of some people.

I know you are. We did one a couple weeks ago for Relay for Life and same thing happened. I just smile anymore and won't play one unless for a really good cause.
I typically don't either, this one was close to me.

Most golfers cheat in some way and feel justified. When you have a team of 4 "encouraging" it in a charity scramble, you get ridiculous stuff like what you saw. No surprise really.

Ask Bill Belicheat

I think we all have seen some blatant cheating during scrambles. How can you argue a long drive, or a ridiculous under par score? As the OP stated, the winner was the charity.

On the other hand, I've seen foursomes made up of really good golfers who on a good day could post ridiculous scores in a scramble. A good foursome is probably going to get at least 3 of their approaches on in regulation, with four good chances at birdie!

I view scrambles as a chance to play golf with my buddies, smoke some cigars, BS, and contribute to a good cause (and sometimes a nice buffet dinner). I never anticipate winning anything as far as golf goes.

I think we all have seen some blatant cheating during scrambles. How can you argue a long drive, or a ridiculous under par score? As the OP stated, the winner was the charity.

On the other hand, I've seen foursomes made up of really good golfers who on a good day could post ridiculous scores in a scramble. A good foursome is probably going to get at least 3 of their approaches on in regulation, with four good chances at birdie!

I view scrambles as a chance to play golf with my buddies, smoke some cigars, BS, and contribute to a good cause (and sometimes a nice buffet dinner). I never anticipate winning anything as far as golf goes.
Exactly. The good news is, I heard this morning they raised more than $7000 which was a little more than they needed to fully fund the scholarship, which is all that matters. His legacy will live on, virtually forever in his scholarship. Each year a kid from our area that pursues a degree in agriculture from the University of Kentucky can get $1000 per year for 4 years.

Standard operating procedure for outings. You just can't go into it thinking an honest person will come out ahead, so just have to focus on fun and the cause.

what boggles my mind........is, how in the worlsd can a cheater be that rediculous stupid? Unless that really just had no clue at all as to just how long they were at. Alot of times ther can be a lot of non golfers at charity events. That said, usually most dont cheat at least not that badly.... I mean usually just there for fun.

450 yrd drives? Theys should have given the player a real bg reception just to embarass him. I mean IDK....could the ball have hit the cart path? I suppose thats possble. Or perhpas couldnt find his ball and eneded up with a same ball that belonged to someone else from an adjoining hole.

Who knows? Ya just go to these things and have fun and support the cause.

But that said,....I say peole who cheat should be subject to a natural event. They should (by nature) end up with a bright blue face for a month so everyone notices they are cheaters even long after the current cheat.

Tough to describe but the cartpath is under trees that would knock a ball down and a tree line 20' off the path to the right, the green is to the left. It would have to travel about the same path as the JFK "magic bullet theory". Spinning right, cutting under the tree line, then changing direction to land short of the green on the left side. This hole is isolated so not a chance it's from another fairway. Realistically, there's two options, he hit a 450yd drive, or they took advantage of the situation. In going for option B.

450 yrd drives? Theys should have given the player a real bg reception just to embarass him. I mean IDK....could the ball have hit the cart path? I suppose thats possble. Or perhpas couldnt find his ball and eneded up with a same ball that belonged to someone else from an adjoining hole.

But that said,....I say peole who cheat should be subject to a natural event. They should (by nature) end up with a bright blue face for a month so everyone notices they are cheaters even long after the current cheat.

Kinda like the scarlet letter which we should bring back also
We'll call it "The Azure letter"

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

After seeing and experiencing what goes on, I simply stopped playing in tournaments.. The management at my club doesn't even bother to ask me anymore if I'll be playing. I even dropped out of recording GHIN scores about 2 years ago.

Dude I hit 450 once a weekend...

Yes, people cheat in those things all the time. The best is when the group in front of you “wins” and all day you see them leaning, moaning and groaning from missing putts, then you hit the clubhouse and see they shot 21 under...

Cheaters never really win, because despite "winning" they know they know deep down inside they really didn't win anything.

see it all the time, the 4 guys that shot 20 under can barely stand to get the prize.....

I don't doubt that these guys should have won. Three of them are pretty legit golfers. There were 2 teams at 20, one at 22. Everyone else with decent teams were 11-17 under. I had 3 teammates that were all about the same ability level. On most teams, we would have all been C/D players. We shot 11 under, had chances at 15 under. The 22 under team were 3 scratch golfers, and one who shoots low 70's. What I doubt having watched all of them play is the ability to got a 450 yard drive.
see it all the time, the 4 guys that shot 20 under can barely stand to get the prize.....

Last edited:
I don't doubt that these guys should have won. Three of them are pretty legit golfers. There were 2 teams at 20, one at 22. Everyone else with decent teams were 11-17 under. I had 3 teammates that were all about the same ability level. On most teams, we would have all been C/D players. We shot 11 under, had chances at 15 under. The 22 under team were 3 scratch golfers, and one who shoots low 70's. What I doubt having watched all of them play is the ability to got a 450 yard drive.

with 3 scratch players and another alomost scratch its kind of hard to think they would cheat on a drive like that. In other words these arent non players who are just there for drining and fun and dont know any bbetter but in fact avid players and darn good ones who would clearly know better. So this whole episode isnt making much sense.

In the end as other have said, the winner is the charity.

With that, me personally I would rather lose with honesty and honor than win suspicion and doubt. Some people need to be the "winner" to feel better about themselves and I say float that boat if you must. Me, I'm going to sleep just fine at night knowing I did what's right by me.

with 3 scratch players and another alomost scratch its kind of hard to think they would cheat on a drive like that. In other words these arent non players who are just there for drining and fun and dont know any bbetter but in fact avid players and darn good ones who would clearly know better. So this whole episode isnt making much sense.
I agree, but I also don't see any of the three hitting that shot. I concede that it is possible, but I'd say it's less than 1%. I dunno...again the charity won, so it's just me whining.

We had our memorial tournament for my friend today. Standard scramble, they did sell skirts mulligans etc. Overall it was a good day and raised a sellout amount for his scholarship fund, which is what's important. On #2 (475yds), they had a long drive. Woods on the right, road and tall weeds on left. I hit a bomb of a drive, I feel like it has a chance to be the long drive of the day. We drive up to my ball to see I'm just inside the hundred stake, putting it at 360ish. I start looking for the marker, it's 10 yards off the green. :bulgy-eyes:a 450yd drive. Guess who's team also shot 22 under.. Maybe that kid needs to be on WLD tour. At the end of the day, the scholarship won, as a ton of money was raised, and a good time was had by all. So what do you think, cheat or the longest drive you've ever seen? What's the worst example of obvious cheating you've seen in these things.

Any chance it was a girl or senior playing their tees. Seen some silly drives with a 275 yard carry senior or a lady who bombs

Back