Wilson-Staff FG Tour F5 Irons - THP Review Thread

Great write up Jman and I really liked the Q&A with Vrska. These clubs look gorgeous in hand and feel great. I'm still firmly in the D/C category but even I could launch these nice and straight with a good trajectory... however a lot shorter than the other clubs :)

One day soon, maybe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really enjoyed that review, especially with the comments from Vrska as well. It adds a nice bit of extra content. Glad to see that's going to be in future stuff in 16 it appears!

Really enjoyed that review, especially with the comments from Vrska as well. It adds a nice bit of extra content. Glad to see that's going to be in future stuff in 16 it appears!
Definitely. Getting to actually read about the thoughts behind products from the manufacturers themselves really adds an interesting element to the reviews. Glad to see THP at the forefront of adding this exciting component to product reviews.

Great write up Jman and I really liked the Q&A with Vrska. These clubs look gorgeous in hand and feel great. I'm still firmly in the D/C category but even I could launch these nice and straight with a good trajectory... however a lot shorter than the other clubs :)

One day soon, maybe...

I think their playability might surprise you a lot dude. Sure, they aren't the D category, but they've blended the GI with the traits people love in players irons crazy well.

I enjoyed the write up and I like the product. Questions for Jman - how do these compare to the i25s to you? Also, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the effectiveness of some different techniques we've seen from different OEMs recently to achieve a forged distance club. Off the top of my head: face cups, hollow heads and now this. Do they all get the job done about equally?

Last edited:
I enjoyed the write up and I like what product. Questions for Jman - how do these compare to the i25s to you? Also, I'm curious as to your thoughts on the effectiveness of some different techniques we've seen from different OEMs recently to achieve a forged distance club. Forged faces, hollow cavities and now this. Do they all get the job done about equally?

I prefer them to the i20, i25, and iE1....and I'm a long time i-Series iron homer. Not an apples to apples comparison iron wise, but I prefer these in the launch, looks, and feel areas by a large margin. Distance is a wash.

They all accomplish what they seek IMO, its the beauty of their not being only one way to skin a cat. Here though, they nailed the forged feel/sound and the sole it what allows it to maintain that while adding legit performance benefits. These are really really really impressive overall performers.

Jman's review rekindled some F5 desire for me, even though I'm already waiting on a C200 delivery. Ugh! So many solid W/S options, right now

I think their playability might surprise you a lot dude. Sure, they aren't the D category, but they've blended the GI with the traits people love in players irons crazy well.

Oh no I agree whole heartedly on that - when I hit these, I was pleasantly surprised at my shot shapes. But as someone who's driver is low 90's and doesn't find the center of the face with any regularity, I can't pass up the distance and extra forgiveness the other W/S lines offer me. If I was handed these irons on the first tee, I could definitely get around the course, I'd just be hitting a lot more long irons than I'd like.

Great insight on the review.

These look like a great fit for me. When I bought the old AP1s it had a lot to do with performance off the bottom of the iron. They were also really consistent distance-wise. I also like the specs/lofts so I'm guessing distance (which really isn't a huge deal for me when discussing irons) will be comparable. These have an improved sole. The F5s would definitely be at the top of my short list for irons this year.

great review james, these are intriguing as heck as with the tech and being a tweener club which is where I'm looking for my next irons.

Finally got to hit these. I like them very much. Very solid all around in a great looking head.

I have a set of these sitting in my office and they are just a really good looking iron. I think we will give them away in some form in the next couple of months to a THPer.

Well, that's fantastic. I've been waiting for these to show up in the store since they were announced. I really like the M3s, and the complete improvement in every way on those that has been talked about piques my interest.

I have a set of these sitting in my office and they are just a really good looking iron. I think we will give them away in some form in the next couple of months to a THPer.

Anyone who doesn't sign up for that one would be a fool.

Well that sounds quite awesome!

Looks like I really need to work on my game ASAP.

Oh snap!

There is a good idea.

Well well. A little THP giveaway of some Wilson staff goodness.

This is the best thing I have read all day. Seriously

This is the best thing I have read all day. Seriously

Boss man is firing full broadsides of THP goodness. I'm looking forward to full details.

Glad everyone had enjoyed this review, thank you all for taking the time to read it!

Pumped a set will be given away!!

Finally got to hit these. I like them very much. Very solid all around in a great looking head.

Did you happen to hit the C200's? If so How would you compare he F5 to the c200's?

Did you happen to hit the C200's? If so How would you compare he F5 to the c200's?
Not Bake, but you'll see more distance in the c200 as well as better ball speed retention, that said imo the feel goes hard this way to the f5 as well as the profile at address. The c200 are special from the perspective of truly pushing the tech envelope, but these if they weren't released alongside the C200 would be garnering a lot more looks because the overall package is one of the best that they have put out to date.

I've actually played the C200's on course as well as on sims. The C200's are going to be longer and more forgiving. The F5's are more of a players iron shape and feel, but have some more forgiveness than say a true players CB iron like the Titleist CB's. The C200's are rocket launchers, and while the F5's showed good distance, they were pretty typical numbers I see for that type of iron. The finish on the F5's is incredible in hand though.

Back