Most embarrassing thing you've done on a golf course

TonyB

Reaction score
Handicap
I was playing last year with my friend and two other guys we were paired up with. It was a really good fun round and the 2 guys we were paired with were great. We get to 18 and I about 65 yds to the pin in the middle of the fairway so I pull out the 56* wedge with one of the guys standing on the fringe to my right. I got lazy with my swing and shanked a bullet straight at his head and he had to hit the deck to keep from getting hit. I felt really bad and for sure embarrassed!

snapped a club over my knee while playing with my grandfather. he didn't say a word, just shook his head in disappointment. man did i feel like a real piece of sh1t after that.

Was playing a particularly bad round, and took a divot with my driver on the tee. I turned to my cousin and said "man that is a new low in golf for me."

Later in the round, I topped the ball with my *putter.* She turned to me and said "no, that's your new low."

Needless to say I started laughing and the rest of the round was fun.

snapped a club over my knee while playing with my grandfather. he didn't say a word, just shook his head in disappointment. man did i feel like a real piece of sh1t after that.

Oh man! I hated getting a disappointed look from my grandfather. He was my hero growing up.

Shortish par 4, usually plays 285ish...was my typical oblivious self and didn't realize they moved my regular tees up a box, took at least 20 yards off. Hit a perfect, dead straight, drive that landed just short of the green and bounced up, right between the legs of one of the guys on the green and knocked his putter out of his hands.
I was completely embarrassed and really lucky the guy was super cool about my dumba** moment.

9th hole - my nemesis hole. Par 5. My third shot. The green slopes to the front, but no matter. I hit what looked like a perfect 8 iron using Bridgestone E6 which I was fitted for...... It landed in the middle of the front part of the green and bounced and rolled into the bunker behind the green. That bunker has a steep wall. Okay so I got out of that, and my ball rolled past the hole and into the bunker in the front of the green. That bunker also has a very steep wall. Due to my lie, it took two more shots to get out and barely landed on the top lip for another chip onto the green, then it dropped back into the bunker. Believe it or not until that point I still had a shot of winning the hole. I had a meltdown in the bunker and started beating the hell out of it with my wedge... and I hit my ankle. I conceded the hole. The guys behind us started laughing their asses off. Yes, I did rake the bunker when I was finished.

I have only thrown a club once, once in all my years of golfing and it decided it would stay in the tree. Took a bit but I got my 3 wood back and managed to finish the 18. Haven't ever thrown a club since.

I once tried to hit a long punch out of the woods so I was putting a good stiff swing on it. I hit a free that was about 10' away at just the right angle and the ball ricocheted right back at me and hit me right underneath my belt on my upper left thigh. Came about 4 inches from hitting me in the balls so it could have been worse LOL!

I putted into the ocean in Hawaii once.....

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I successfully managed to skull a chip shot onto one of those wooden Florida swamp bridges in a money game.

It hit the beginning and just kep rolling and rolling......

No one was quite sure what the ruling should be.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hit three balls into the same water hazard on the same hole

Calmly, quietly snapped my 17 degree hybrid in half and deposited it in the tee box trash can.

I've lost balls, then the provisional, then the provisional for that provisional before,.. but the most embarrassing is probably when I lost a ball putting.

I had already lost a couple balls on the hole and I was well on my way to an 8 putt on the green. The hole was sort of on this side slope and I was already fuming from a number of bad shots so my head wasn't really in it. After about the 6th putt skurried past I did a perfect 1/2 swing with my putter and launched that ball into the woods. It was the only putt I hit straight on that hole. I was embarresd about it though, because I'm not that guy that gets frustrated and acts out, and I work hard not to be that guy.

Whiskey

I got a "barn in one"...

I was walking this course for the first time and a local player in a cart caught up with me as he was finishing his 27 for the day.. so,we played the last several holes together.
The hole was a slight dogleg right and just off to the right of the fairway was the maintenance barn. He said "hug the right side and it'll put you up near the green".

I tee off and the ball starts drifting right.. too far right.. over these pine tree type bushes and then we heard a loud BANG..
With him being in a cart he gets there first and as I come around the pine bushes he's pointing into the garage and says.. "You hit John but, I think he's going to be OK"

Really worried, I get to the door, look inside and see my ball on the dirt floor behind JOHN Deere.. one of the JD Gators..
He then says.. "If you play the ball from here and hit it hard enough to go through the back wall, it should put you on or near the green". LOL
No, I didn't try it. OTOH, at least I wasn't the only one.. that wooden building had numerous ball dents and holes through it.

Blew my chance to get a ticket to The Grandaddy.

Two things stand out for me. Tossing a club. I've never full on hurled one but have haphazardly tossed a club after a bad shot. Then there was the round where I ran out of balls on like the 13th hole, having brought like 20 balls.

I snap hooked a drive over a fence and broke a driver's windshield. Ten minutes later, he was in a fist fight with the starter. I finished my round without any drama.

This year I basically heel shanked my drive into the metal tee marker on first tee in front of a lot of people exploding into into three pieces while the starter who must have worked there for 15 years says that is a first.

Showed up on the first tee to meet the man formally known as hamfist to look down and see one golf shoe and one black work shoe. This eventually lead to golfing in my normal golf shoe and a bright orange puma golf shoe on the other foot with a bag of ice and a 6 pack slung over my shoulder walking down the fairway.

Hit a tree with the ball then bounced into my face cutting my lip.

Double hit a putt in a tournament. Shanked 3 chip shots in a row in a tournament.

Got drunk and almost rolled a cart while being thrown out of said cart.

Shot 102 in a tournament with 10 ob/lost balls

Another good one. On a course in Pigeon Forge, TN there is a par 5 with a road up a hill to the left of the fairway. I pulled my drive long off the tee. We were playing a scramble and there was a chance the trees on the left might catch it so I didn't think much of it. My buddy was hitting after me and I just happened to look over in the road and noticed my ball rolling past us. This road has concrete curbs on both sides so there was nowhere for the ball to go. We watched it roll as far as we could see it which was about 300 yards behind where the tee box was. I assume it rolled all the way down the hill which would have been about 1/2 mile away LOL! Definitely the shortest shot I have ever hit at -1/2 mile.

Mine actually happened this weekend. We were playing down in Austin, it was quite wet and the beers were flowing. I stepped from the cart while it was coming to a stop to run out and grab a ball (playing a scramble) and my foot found some really slick mud. Face planted in the mud while wearing gray shorts and a white shirt. Luckily it was 17, but it sure is interesting coming in on 18 covered in mud.

Mine actually happened this weekend. We were playing down in Austin, it was quite wet and the beers were flowing. I stepped from the cart while it was coming to a stop to run out and grab a ball (playing a scramble) and my foot found some really slick mud. Face planted in the mud while wearing gray shorts and a white shirt. Luckily it was 17, but it sure is interesting coming in on 18 covered in mud.

That is a solid one right there.

Back in 1985, I lost 4 balls off the tee trying to cut the corner on the 3rd hole on the second day of a club championship. I made 13 on the hole and would have won the event with a double bogey 6 on that hole.

Play golf. Playing golf is the most embarrassing thing I've done on the course.

This year I basically heel shanked my drive into the metal tee marker on first tee in front of a lot of people exploding into into three pieces while the starter who must have worked there for 15 years says that is a first.

Showed up on the first tee to meet the man formally known as hamfist to look down and see one golf shoe and one black work shoe. This eventually lead to golfing in my normal golf shoe and a bright orange puma golf shoe on the other foot with a bag of ice and a 6 pack slung over my shoulder walking down the fairway.

Hit a tree with the ball then bounced into my face cutting my lip.

Double hit a putt in a tournament. Shanked 3 chip shots in a row in a tournament.

Got drunk and almost rolled a cart while being thrown out of said cart.

Shot 102 in a tournament with 10 ob/lost balls

Don't know whether to laugh, cry, or refer you to AA.

lol.

Back