PING G Drivers Preview

There sure is a lot going on on the crown...

From a tech standpoint I'm intrigued. Shaving 8g from the crown (if I read that correctly) is freaking massive and should have some serious performance implications.

On the down side, only offering a 12* option in the SF Tec means I'll probably never even give this one a try.

Very good point, and I'm the same way. Very surprised they did not offer it in a 12 degree in the regular model. I really liked the G30, but with my negative angle of attack with the driver, I was not getting enough carry with it in the 10.5. Was really hoping they were going to add the 12 degree this time around. And with my miss being a hook, the SF Tec isnt really an option unfortunately. Im sure this will be an awesome driver for tons of people.

Love the new look. I loved the first G30...and I hit it pretty well, but it seemed to lag quite a bit in the distance category for me. Really enjoy the Ping brand and can't wait to give these a go!
Incredible that a picture of an insect can be the inspiration for a golf club. :)

I really don't mind the resemblance to G30. They have obviously focused their attention on improving an overall design that was really good, and I look forward to trying it out for myself.

Really hoping we hear a bit of a different sound off this head. Not sure how they'll manage that, but it's what interests me the most.

I don't think the pattern on the crown would bother me a bit. At least they painted it all one color.

It looks like they double downed on the turbulators, adding them to the back side of the crown as well.

Not a fan, but I'm sure I'll like the results.
Not turbulators on the rear section, check out the release info in the post. Bio mimicry, much akin to what Cobra did with the Bio, but visual externally instead of internally.

On the down side, only offering a 12* option in the SF Tec means I'll probably never even give this one a try.

Ping is known to undersate their lofts. I would bet that most 10.5* heads are pushing 11.5* if you measured them. If you ordered one from Ping requesting A 12* I'm sure they would be able to meet the request.

I've read many times where guys ordered a 10* or 10.5* digitally lofted and Ping had to send them a head stamped with 9.5* to meet the order.

On the down side, only offering a 12* option in the SF Tec means I'll probably never even give this one a try.[/QUOTE]

Totally agree - main reason I don't have a G30. I assume their sales / marketing department just say the sales do not dictate having one. I can understand that, because most players who should have 12' are still playing 10.5, regardless of more and more info about more loft being better for a bigger number of players. Too bad...

Totally agree - main reason I don't have a G30. I assume their sales / marketing department just say the sales do not dictate having one. I can understand that, because most players who should have 12' are still playing 10.5, regardless of more and more info about more loft being better for a bigger number of players. Too bad...[/QUOTE]

The press release shows 10 and 12 for the SF Tec.

Not turbulators on the rear section, check out the release info in the post. Bio mimicry, much akin to what Cobra did with the Bio, but visual externally instead of internally.

Oh I know, just saying from a looks stand point, it "appeared" they doubled down on it. They took a distracting driver and made it more distracting. Wouldn't stop me from gaming it, but decreases my excitement for it.

Totally agree - main reason I don't have a G30. I assume their sales / marketing department just say the sales do not dictate having one. I can understand that, because most players who should have 12' are still playing 10.5, regardless of more and more info about more loft being better for a bigger number of players. Too bad...

The press release shows 10 and 12 for the SF Tec.[/QUOTE]

Sorry - I meant in the regular G30 - not the SF tec.

The G30 LS has been a good fit for me. I'm interested in seeing how it performs for folks at Club Clash.

That thing is....wow. It's something. I'm not sure how to feel about it, honestly. I liked the G30 driver, and didn't really find the turbulators distracting, but that might just about get there for me. Still, if it works, it works.

Not sure how I feel about the crown, don't really love it or hate it but seems kinda busy. My guess would be that it's going to be a very solid offering as most of their drivers are

As I gamed the G30 or G30 LS TEC for a large part of 2015, I'm immediately drawn to this new model, especially the LS TEC option.

Really liked the G30 and hoping this is a true step forward. Just not to sure about the crown as it looks really busy to me, in a distracting way. Will have to give it some swings and see how it goes, if the performance is good enough for me to get over the crown design.

Actually like the look of this! Excited to try it ou!

The g30 ls tec was a very solid head. If they improved the acoustics it would have a serious shot at being in my bag

The g30 ls tec was a very solid head. If they improved the acoustics it would have a serious shot at being in my bag

Curious why you would choose the lower spin option? Is it a personal thing? I remember your numbers were pretty low spin already.

Curious why you would choose the lower spin option? Is it a personal thing? I remember your numbers were pretty low spin already.
I hit the sf, standard and ls tec multiple times. I just hit it better. I have no idea why.

Really like Rick Shields review of the LS Tech in this video.

Really like Rick Shields review of the LS Tech in this video.

Judging by that video the acoustics haven't changed much... still the familiar ping sound from the g30

For anyone who cares, they supposedly increased the MOI 1% laterally, and 6% vertically across the face from the G30.

I currently have the G30 SF Tec and it helped my FIR greatly. Definitely want to hit this one and see how much better it might be.

This really speaks to JB's thread about visible technology. The last G driver was a beast from (performance and sales from what I understand), I look forward to hearing more about this one.

Back