Why do all golf bags suck? Let's design one that is AWESOME!

mr.hicksta

Golf->Tacos->Gainz
Reaction score
While I'm not going on a golf bag binge like I did in 2016, after returning that Jones bag I can't shake how disappointed I am in the available options. It seems like for every positive, there are a few negatives for any bag. Am I took picky? Probably, but I know I'm not the only one who feels this way! With that said, if I had the means and an unlimited budget, here's the bag I would design.

- 9.5" 5-way top with putter well
- No more than 5 lbs empty
- Ballistic nylon exterior
- Roomy carrying handle on top (think SM carrying handles)
- Full length dividers
- Enclosed base and stand legs similar to the 2018 Ping Hoofer
- Magnetic rangefinder pouch
- Waterproof valuables pocket
- Water bottle pouch on carrying side
- Cart strap pass through
- Alignment stick pocket
- Solid bag carrying handle
- Storage compartments similar to the 2018 Ping Hoofer
- Adjustable straps similar to the 2018 Ping Hoofer
- Breathable back pad

As you can see, there's a lot I would take from the 2018 Ping Hoofer. I feel like the Hoofer is a solid 80% solution with enough good to make me not totally dislike it, but it certainly has some detractors. After going with one of the 'premium' brands and being totally disappointed, I'm convinced the perfect bag doesn't exist. I welcome attempts to try and change my mind, but good luck with that :wink:.

So THPers, what does your perfect bag look like?

Last edited:
What were the downfalls on the Jones? Have you seen that Stitch SL1 bag? A buddy of mine has it and loves it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What were the downfalls on the Jones? Have you seen that Stitch SL1 bag? A buddy of mine has it and loves it.

I'm not trying to bash the Jones bag, but let's just say I was totally underwhelmed by how ordinary it was.

I'm not trying to bash the Jones bag, but let's just say I was totally underwhelmed by how ordinary it was.

I’m glad I didn’t spend the money on the greyson x Jones bag then! Good to know

I'm simply annoyed at how midsize or above grips cause havoc in just about any bag...

I like my SM C-130 cart bag, except for the following: The cooler pouch needs to be up front, (it is on side and does not good in the cart but okay if walking with pushcart.) Other problem is it is heavy when loaded up. Needs to lose at least 2 lbs. Not sure if 2018 version is better, but won't stand on its own, ( top heavy).
Otherwise it is good bag.

I had a Mizuno bag that was probably the best bag I have used.

I like my SM C-130 cart bag, except for the following: The cooler pouch needs to be up front, (it is on side and does not good in the cart but okay if walking with pushcart.) Other problem is it is heavy when loaded up. Needs to lose at least 2 lbs. Not sure if 2018 version is better, but won't stand on its own, ( top heavy).
Otherwise it is good bag.

I had a Mizuno bag that was probably the best bag I have used.

Which Mizuno bag did you have? I’m kind of eyeing their pro stand bag. It’s a little heavier but it is sexxxxxy

I agree with your list. I have a new ping hoofer 14 and the only dislike i have is no full length dividers. I use mid size grips so it is annoying sometimes trying to get them out.

Which Mizuno bag did you have? I’m kind of eyeing their pro stand bag. It’s a little heavier but it is sexxxxxy

I will look when I get home tonight, I still have it in back room.

Not really sure which bag this is, no name on it other than the Mizuno logo. Lots of pockets and great storage. Also it is light.
70c7e1b2b5060a947335697a0fa51b1e.jpg

f5d1cef2cdb7cee1718739eb413c414b.jpg

Josh, there is no way possible that ANYONE could make a bag you'd be satisfied with that didn't cost a gazillion bucks to make! :D

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

And even then you'd be looking for another one the day after you loaded your clubs in it. lol

Love this thread. In no particular order:

Putter well that allows the putter cover to "drop in" rather than sit on top and ruin the Velcro closure.

Full length dividers or sections.

Stand that deploys evenly every single time!

Full length Umbrella pouch.

Some sort of utility thingy that would allow me to clip things into like range finder case, towel etc. there used to be an accessory that would clip into your rain pouch snaps. Man that thing was awesome but can't remember where it was or find one.

JM

A lot of the characteristics Josh specified could be found on the Nike Performance Hybrid stand bag, but alas they discontinued that bag. I'm a fan of 14-way dividers and not as sensitive to weight, even though I carry all the time. Once you've loaded your bag, I can't tell the difference. It's a pound or two.

In addition to other's comments, I am really disappointed in the durability of today's bags. I take care of my stuff. Yes, I do play about 60 rounds and practice a lot. But really??? Bags falling apart in 3 years?

Josh, there is no way possible that ANYONE could make a bag you'd be satisfied with that didn't cost a gazillion bucks to make! :D

And even then you'd be looking for another one the day after you loaded your clubs in it. lol

Damn bro, haha!

giphy.gif

A lot of the characteristics Josh specified could be found on the Nike Performance Hybrid stand bag, but alas they discontinued that bag. I'm a fan of 14-way dividers and not as sensitive to weight, even though I carry all the time. Once you've loaded your bag, I can't tell the difference. It's a pound or two.

In addition to other's comments, I am really disappointed in the durability of today's bags. I take care of my stuff. Yes, I do play about 60 rounds and practice a lot. But really??? Bags falling apart in 3 years?

My wife asked me about that bag last night and literally said, "Wasn't that the bag you really liked?"

Yes. Yes it was.

giphy.gif

Hahaha. I got your back bro, but sometimes facts is facts. You have not met a bag you couldn't pick apart. lol

Cart bag with 4 dividers and 2 pockets is my idea of a sensible design.

I was coming from an old Ben Hogan bag I got for free years ago so this may be with a grain of salt, but my Titleist 14 is fantastic. Club setup was my only question mark but I feel I've got that pegged now. More pockets than I have stuff to put in, not too heavy for walking in my opinion and my home course is a mountain one. Overall very very pleased with it.

Hahaha. I got your back bro, but sometimes facts is facts. You have not met a bag you couldn't pick apart. lol

I know, I’m hopeless

Love this thread. In no particular order:

Putter well that allows the putter cover to "drop in" rather than sit on top and ruin the Velcro closure.

Full length dividers or sections.

Stand that deploys evenly every single time!

Full length Umbrella pouch.

Some sort of utility thingy that would allow me to clip things into like range finder case, towel etc. there used to be an accessory that would clip into your rain pouch snaps. Man that thing was awesome but can't remember where it was or find one.

JM

Is this it?
https://snaphookzgolf.com/

I feel like if someone took the Sun Mountain C130-S, but made it full leather and staff bag quality - I'd be 100% satisfied.

Full length dividers that are actually full length, all the way to the bottom!
A removable bottom so you can actually clean it out and stop getting dirt and crap on the top of your grips.
Stands that deploy every time!!

A lot of the characteristics Josh specified could be found on the Nike Performance Hybrid stand bag, but alas they discontinued that bag.
I had a Nike bag once that I think was called the SQ Tour (Sasquatch perhaps?).
It was my favorite bag.

Stand bag
Full length 14 dividers
Had a cool aluminum handle and I believe spanned the entire backbone.
Cooler pouch that held about 4 cans. Rare for a stand bag
Valuables waterproof lined pouch
I got rid of it because the legs would sometimes flip up. My brother still uses it. Got this bag bag in like 2007 I think it was.

Full. Length. Dividers.

It baffles me how many advertise that they have them yet they definitely do not. Who is the company that "defined" full length that isn't full length and messed up the whole industry????

Locking clubs in the top also to eliminate the noise. I had an ogio that worked just fine but the bag had no rigidity and would twist on my cart and drove me nuts.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

Back