Describe Your Sight Line or Alignment

I think every putter I've had have had sight lines but I would love one with only a dot on the top. Nice and simple would be perfect.

The odyssey 7 head just lines up naturally for me.. not sure why but I aim it better than anything else I've tried

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A long single white line.

White line on the back flange of the putter.

Same here. For me, a key to putting well is making sure the club 'paints' that line straight back.

I’m working with a cheap box store putter from a starter set. It’s got a line.
Really still eyeing up a TM spider with the top markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just can't answer that question directly.

It's sort of "the wand picks you, Mr. Potter."

Without getting too far into this, I learned a lot from Edel and their website.

Sightlines tend to have you aim left. How many and where on the putter depend on the individual and their aim. First, you find a shape and hosel/offset that you aim well, and sightlines refine your aim.

I tend to aim a blade left, starting out.

So I aim a mallet and then refine my aim with sightlines. On some, I only place a sight dot denoting the sweetspot; on others, I can use a small T line. All depends on refining aim. For example, the standard mallet, DF Reno, I use, has a huge T Line - I was aiming it 3 inches left from 10 feet during a fitting. I put tape on the T Line to make it smaller - bingo, and it's straight. Had the maker carve a smaller sightline.

And yes, it really does work. It's not, "Oh, I like a sightline" or "I like a dot." Don't fool yourself. Golf is hard work, even a putter fitting.

Or you can deal with compensations all your putting life. I'd rather not.

Last edited:
... I can honestly say I never pay any attention to the line when I am putting. I concentrate on the speed only. Like walking down a rocky path, once your brain sees where you need to go, your feet avoids rocks and roots while you are looking ahead where you will be stepping. Putting can take advantage of that same technique. I look at my putt and allow my brain to take in the line and speed, but then once I get over the ball I only think about the speed because my brain already knows the line. It is a very Zen way to putt and it is extremely effective.

... I can honestly say I never pay any attention to the line when I am putting. I concentrate on the speed only. Like walking down a rocky path, once your brain sees where you need to go, your feet avoids rocks and roots while you are looking ahead where you will be stepping. Putting can take advantage of that same technique. I look at my putt and allow my brain to take in the line and speed, but then once I get over the ball I only think about the speed because my brain already knows the line. It is a very Zen way to putt and it is extremely effective.

And then there is AimPoint....

:)

I use a Cleveland 2135 Satin putter so my alignment is currently a line. It doesn't seem to help me as i'm an awful putter!

Naked. No line, no dot. I dont think I can putt any other way.

And then there is AimPoint....

... Putting is so unique to the game when compared to swinging a club at 100mph or even pitches and chips where a bad technique will get you sooner rather than later. But in putting, as long as you have confidence in your ability to get the ball in the hole, which is quite obvious from left hand low, claw, forearm braced, long putter, short putter and conventional putting there are many ways to find that confidence. So finding which technique works best for you is always the key in golf. A good friend of mine that was a pro putter went to Aim Point and it has changed his game. That said more often than not, Occams Razor is the best way to putt for the majority of people that play this game.

I got a steal on the ER2 I'm playing because some knucklehead wrote all over the face with a marker. I stripped off all the paint/markings and used red nail polish to make a sight line to add to the EVNRoll's two dot alignment. Looks perfect at address.

Mine has a big white T. The horizontal part of the T runs parallel with the face of the putter and then one long white line down the center. The more I think about it though, I often do not use that line so I think I would be okay with no line or a dot on top. My putting is best when I tend to not overthink it.

Back