Describe Your Sight Line or Alignment

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have a line? Dot? Other form? What is your alignment on your putter like?

Do you have a line? Dot? Other form? What is your alignment on your putter like?

my preference is no aid but currently my toulon atlanta has a site line on the flange

White line on the back flange of the putter.

i'm picky about a lot of aspects of my equipment, but the sight line has never been something i've cared about. i've gone anywhere from naked to two balls (hehe). right now i have 3 dots on my red 7s and it's fine.

i wonder if people's preferences have any correlation with their putting style? do sbst people tend to prefer straight lines, and arc people prefer dots or nothing?

SeeMore RST

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orange dot on my Byron Morgan bombora.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Line. But also the fang shape sort of frames the ball as well. Really enjoying the Ardmore 3 putter.

I have a line on mine.

I prefer either a dot or a line on the topline of my putter.

3 with top line alignment line, 2 with flange alignment line and 1 with a alignment oval on the top line. Prefer the alignment line on top line and hence use those putters a lot more often.

Line on top.

I like lines a lot.

Spider without siteline. I use the line on the ball to line up really. The no siteline I think helps me focus more on pace

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

A white line for me. I think I want to try something with no alignment

Top line.

IMG_1430.JPG

My last three putters have been:

1. Rife Two Bar - has a long white sight line
2. Odyssey Two Ball - well, two balls
3. Odyssey 7s - white sight line.

I didn't think about it much with the Rife, but after going from the Two Ball to the 7s, I definitely think the sight line is the most helpful to me. Particularly when I line up a putt using the alignment aid on my ball. I like to connect the ball line and the putter line. Makes me feel secure. :D

Right now my putter has a flange line.

... Most are unaware of how they naturally see the line of of a putt, which is in one of two ways. Either parallel like a pool cue extending back and thru the ball OR perpendicular to the line like a hockey stick hitting a slap shot. Those that see the line as parallel usually like a sight line either on top, in the cavity or both. Those that see the line as perpendicular prefer no lines as it interferes with their natural alignment and are good candidates for a dot. Some OEMs cheat and put both parallel and perpendicular lines on a putter. I see the line perpendicular and prefer to align my putt with the front of the topline and I prefer no alignment aid, as that has always worked best for me.

... Most are unaware of how they naturally see the line of of a putt, which is in one of two ways. Either parallel like a pool cue extending back and thru the ball OR perpendicular to the line like a hockey stick hitting a slap shot. Those that see the line as parallel usually like a sight line either on top, in the cavity or both. Those that see the line as perpendicular prefer no lines as it interferes with their natural alignment and are good candidates for a dot. Some OEMs cheat and put both parallel and perpendicular lines on a putter. I see the line perpendicular and prefer to align my putt with the front of the topline and I prefer no alignment aid, as that has always worked best for me.

Wow, never considered that anyone saw a line any differently that the pool cue version you described. Very interesting.

A big white line.

Chose the Ping Ketsch for this reason only.

I line up every putt---so makes it very very easy to line up with alignment markers on the ball.

Then all I have to think about is speed

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

How do you determine which one you are? I played hockey but never thought of the puck being perpendicular to the intended target whether passing or shooting. I do prefer mallets with lines over blades with anything, easier to aim for me.

Flange line, white against a silver putter. Not my favorite, but I can't claim to hit square anyway.

How do you determine which one you are? I played hockey but never thought of the puck being perpendicular to the intended target whether passing or shooting. I do prefer mallets with lines over blades with anything, easier to aim for me.

... I have never played hockey but it is not the puck but the hockey stick that determines the direction of the shot. Same with putting, you either move the face because you see it as determining where the ball is aimed or you see the line going through your putter. Next time you are in a golf store try putting with a Wilson 8802 and a typical answer style putter with a sightline. One should be easier to align depending on how you see the line and the putter coming together. Mallets have a rounded rear or a modern shape like TM's Spyder's that is definitely not perpendicular to the line so you probably see the line as parallel and like sight lines. Those that see the line perpendicular usually prefer blades with a straight rear edge.

... And fwiw, a hockey stick in competition isn't a good example when playing because it is so active and fast. Maybe just practicing shots is a better example (remember I didn't play) . In golf you have all the time you need to line up your shot.

Back