Callaway XR OS Hybrids Preview

Curious to hear how these differ and perform as compared to the original XR as I wasn't a fan of those.

Bet it was the shaft. I had horrid results with the Project X shaft in the XR's. So then I got a set with Tour Blue shafts and the difference is night and day. Best hybrids I've ever owned.

Had a chance to demo the OS 3 and OS 4hybrid today against the XR4h and Ping G 4h.
First off the face size looks to be about identical to the former XR. It just has more junk in the trunk. I will post a side by side pic after this.
Results were interesting.

I felt like I could put a really good swing on the ball with the OS 3h. But in the 22* version, my numbers were better with the 2015 XR. The OS spun about 400 rpms more than the XR so perhaps that is the reason for my distance difference between the two. They OS definitely gets the ball up quickly and in comparable lofts I saw about a half degree more launch angle
The Ping G had crazy tight dispersion but it was not up to snuff with the Cally's in terms of distance.
Oh and as you can see I am a short knocker so most internet golfers wont relate but for those avg Joe swingers I hope you can take away something from my numbers.

Avg of 5 hits per club:

OS19*
78mph swing speed
114mph ball speed
18.4 launch
3099 backspin
172 carry
192 total
6 yds absolute dispersion

OS22*
76 mph swing speed
111mph ball speed
19.2 launch
4346 backspin
160 carry
177 total
11.5 yds absolute dispersion

XR22*
77 mph swing speed
112 mph ball speed
18.7 launch
3988 backspin
166 carry
183 total
9 yds absolute dispersion

Ping G 22*
75 mph swing speed
109 mph ball speed
19.8 launch
3882 backspin
158 carry
175 total
5 yds absolute dispersion

Last edited:
Here's a pic of the 4 hybrids from the top. OS is on the left. XR (2015) on the right.

f92b9ab518961c220f52e5dac2ddf7b2.jpg

The more I have been able to read these and see a bit first hand reviews (youtube) The more I am interested in these. Cant wait for THP get them in hand and have a review.

Here's a pic of the 4 hybrids from the top. OS is on the left. XR (2015) on the right.

f92b9ab518961c220f52e5dac2ddf7b2.jpg
To my eye, the face of the OS looks "flatter" Not sure if this is the camera angle but I like that a lot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

:bananadance:

Did you like that ?
Lol

Sometimes I forget what forum I'm on. More of a jab at the "other" forum. Where it's all TP, Pro, XxxxPhlex, 350 yd drive golfers that I simply can't relate to.

The face also looks closed than the 2015

I see what you mean based on my pic. But when I set up to the ball the OS Looked pretty much like The '15 XR

Did you like that ?
Lol

Sometimes I forget what forum I'm on. More of a jab at the "other" forum. Where it's all TP, Pro, XxxxPhlex, 350 yd drive golfers that I simply can't relate to.

Yeah, loved it. A true lol for me on an otherwise rough day.

If talking XR OS irons he hit it on the nose. Hit a 7 iron inside the other day and it is indeed easy to hit and felt pretty good. That said the top line is the biggest I have seen in awhile at least to my eyes.

Has anyone had a chance to hit these yet?

I spent a lot of time hitting these today at Roger Dunn. They are just so forgiving. I never hit 5 irons well. I was hitting the OS 5 iron consistently 205 to 210 yds. I was getting better results from it than the 5 hybrid. Just amazingly easy to hit. I don't hit 210 yd 5 irons!

Did the 2015 standard XR have draw bias? I have no problem hitting draws with it and I can get it to fade here and there. I never loved a Callaway hybrid until the XR came out so if this is a direct replacement I'll need to take a look.

Old thread I know but I can't seem to find a good comparison between the regular xr and the xr os. Is it worth paying the higher price for the os or get the xr at half the price. I have hit the Os on the simulator and liked it but can't find anymore xr's to demo. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

IMO the os is a lot more forgiving and playable than normal XR. So much that I'll be putting in the bag within the next two weeks because it was so easy to play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thx for the quick reply about to order one or the other been searching for awhile trying to see if it is worth paying the extra cash for the xr os.

Anyone still playing these? I just received a 5 hybrid I had ordered from budget golf. Does looks slightly closed and there is a lot of meat behind the toe (Which in my case is a good thing). Made a few practice swings and despite the lightish stock Fubuki, felt really well balanced. Didn't seem light at all.

Not sure how my work schedule will be next week, but would like to play on Tuesday at least 9. This course allows for a few opportunities to use it.

Anyone still playing these? I just received a 5 hybrid I had ordered from budget golf. Does looks slightly closed and there is a lot of meat behind the toe (Which in my case is a good thing). Made a few practice swings and despite the lightish stock Fubuki, felt really well balanced. Didn't seem light at all.

Not sure how my work schedule will be next week, but would like to play on Tuesday at least 9. This course allows for a few opportunities to use it.

I do. I love them and the sound is awesome imo

Thanks Song Dog and lil'mike! Made me want to put them in play even more. May try and sneak out for a Monday range session. Beating out the highly heralded Steelhead XR hybos says a lot. Will try and pay attention to the sound - did like the look at address.

Thanks Song Dog and lil'mike! Made me want to put them in play even more. May try and sneak out for a Monday range session. Beating out the highly heralded Steelhead XR hybos says a lot. Will try and pay attention to the sound - did like the look at address.
I play the three and four in these. Easily beat out my old TM hybrids. I have a tendency to hook the three more than I'd like, but that's me and not the club. When I make a good swing, they fly high and straight.

When demoing I hit this one better than the Steelhead and XR15. I briefly owned the 4 and 5. On the course they were fine but found them to launch slightly lower than my Exotics Xrail hybrids. Both went the same total distance though. Given my 4 and 5 are scoring clubs I kept my Xrails as they stopped easier on the green.

Back