Would You Play Illegal Wedges

Heck yeah I would give them a shot. I think playing better golf around the greens will lower my score faster than anything else. Also just sounds like a lot of fun.

Id give them a whirl

If legal for handicap/competition and made my short game better then heck yes....I don't care what's legal on tour.

If illegal for handicap/competition then nope since about half my rounds are tourneys.

There really is no bifurcation of the rules.
Its illegal for all, just like belly putters, etc.

I would not know where to get them and would certainly not be interested in gaming them. Spin is not my game, much more of a bump and run guy.

There really is no bifurcation of the rules.
Its illegal for all, just like belly putters, etc.

That's what I thought but the first line of your post threw me off as I read it meaning illegal on tour but legal for handicap...

"No, I do not mean one's that are not legal on tour, but still legal for handicap purposes."

Yes, I probably would. I believe in bifurcated rules. The only thing that gives me any pause is the integrity of the handicap.

Nah not for me. Illegal is Illegal.

I wouldn't mind messing around with it, but wouldn't use it on a regular basis. It would probably destroy golf balls anyway.

I would never game them in competition. I might play with one during a casual round just for the fun of it, if one were available. But, there's no way I'd buy one to play regularly.

That's what I thought but the first line of your post threw me off as I read it meaning illegal on tour but legal for handicap...

"No, I do not mean one's that are not legal on tour, but still legal for handicap purposes."

I was referring to ones like CG15s, etc. Before the groove rule was changed.

I was referring to ones like CG15s, etc. Before the groove rule was changed.

Ah, makes sense now. Never crossed my mind..lol.

No I wouldn't, same reason I use a legal driver - its cheating. And a driver with a higher COR is much more appealing than illegal grooves.

Spin is one.
Consistent yardage is another.

Now that interests me. Would try them out for sure but wouldn't use them for any kind of score I am turning in, tournament ect.

The old grooves are still legal (not PGA) till 2021 or some crazy far away time. Could be wrong on the year.

Up to a year or two ago, no. Now, yes. Screw the USGA. Play what you want.

Let me know when they come to market. I'll try anything.

It would probably be pretty fun to hit and see how much spin you could generate, but on course I wouldn't use it.

Would I spend money to buy one? No. If a buddy had one or I won one I would maybe mess around with it but I wouldn't spend money on something that I can't use during a tournament or match.

Nope. I get along fine with legal stuff and play in friendly matches as well as periodically in a tournament under usga rules so I wouldn't want to have a wedge that was illegal and be using it then have to switch to a legal one for tourneys.

Yes, assuming the price is reasonable. Take the crazy wedges out and have a fun match with my friends, no posting of scores, just some laughs or a fun golf gambling game designed to find out who can make best use of the club.

I don't intentionally use any spin at all, so I would have no need to use them. I play roll out on pitch/chip shots & use 2 piece distance balls ...

my dads got an old illegal sand wedge that I throw in my bag if I'm playing with friends for if I ever hit a bunker right under the lip, thing is like an 80* loft (an old Alien wedge, I'll have it saturday) but otherwise my thoughts are this: I'm still terrible and learning the game, why would I want to learn with illegal clubs? I'd rather learn the right way.

I doubt I would buy them, but I would hit a few shots with them for hits and giggles if a friend had one.

I'd try it, it sounds like it would be a lot of fun

I would like to try them to see if there is a big difference.

Probably not, it's hard enough for me to remember some of the rules for posting rounds and not, if I had one of these in the bag and forgot not to post my round I'd be posting illegally, too much to think about when I just want to go out, play golf, and have fun.

Back