Wiskey

GRINT 12.7
Reaction score
Handicap
12.7 Grint
A common trend I notice in golf courses is that times around 7AM cost more than double what times at 3PM costs.

For example, take the course near my house. It's a par 71 full size course in good shape with new carts attached to a resort. In the morning golf costs $71 right now, but if I wait until 3PM to tee off (still plenty of light to get in 18) the cost is $31, plus the course is empty! VS totally full in the morning.

I'm sure this is done because there is a larger market for golfers in the morning, which leads me to my question. Why does everyone want to go early in the morning that badly?

I have to say, that I'd much rather take care of my chores then reward myself with a round of golf for much less $.

Whiskey

Can't beat the Dew sweepers, early morning is the prime time because the course is usually in pristine condition and its a lot cooler in the morning.

I am guessing its simply supply and demand. Booked solid vs empty.

If I play by myself, I prefer to go late afternoon so I can go my own pace. I played 18 last Friday at 4:00 in 2 1/2 hours.

It is busier at my course early due to the heat. I am not a morning person and hate playing early. Also in the afternoon I can get 18 done in around 2-2.5 hours since the course is empty.

many people play early for several reasons. Some prefer the peacful feeling of mornings and fresh morning air out in the nature of it all. Many people need to play early because golf does require alot of time and the need to be home and/or other placs to then tend to things they cannot do that early. Often it can be due to having a young family where your needed home at an early hour to tend to that. Sometimes its weather related especially in hot and/or hot and humid places. And some people prefer the usually quicker morning paces. And so for those and possible some other reasons morning (namely weekend mornings) are often the more demand period and so they charge accordingly.

I was often a early dawn player when younger mostly for family and obligations reasons but I also loved the morning air and nature to start the day as well as avoiding the heat and humidity.
Nowadays i still like the mornings and prefer them but dont necessarily have to play then nor do i play as early as often. But usually the first few hrs of it and im there. Im not a fan of playing and then finding most they day is gone. Though I do also play often after work in the late afternoon or evening but only because I may have the chance to do so.

Leaves me more time in the dsy to spend with the family (or play 36 holes)

I play early because I can’t stand 5 hour rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to play 36 or 54 if you tee off later

I prefer the early morning (7 AM - 8 AM) because it isn't as hot out as later in the day.

I play early cos it takes less of the day.

If you can score a first group you can fly around and be home well before lunch.

Keeps the wife happy :)

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Our club while semi private, blocks off the early times for the membership. It’s nice to get out by 7 and done by 10:30. Have the rest of the day to nap and watch football on the weekends. In the summer we open at 6:30 and I can get 8 in before work if desired.

For me it’s a time thing. I can get up and get 9 holes in usually before the wife and kid are out of bed, then I still have the whole day to hang out with them.

Why so early?

For me, I play early most of the year to avoid as much heat/humidity as possible. I tend to play a lot on Thursdays as well and the local seniors usually show up in droves starting around 10am. There are always several groups of them who take over 6 hours to play a round and don’t let anyone play through. Going early gets me in front of that mess as well.

Also, there are a lot of afternoon tournaments throughout the spring into the early fall that usually start around 1 and that will definitely leave you no other choice if you want to play.

1) It's cooler (or at least not as hot) kind of a big deal when you carry
2) The course is in better shape
3) Early groups don't have to wait on anybody
4) Can't drink all day if you don't start early

A common trend I notice in golf courses is that times around 7AM cost more than double what times at 3PM costs.

For example, take the course near my house. It's a par 71 full size course in good shape with new carts attached to a resort. In the morning golf costs $71 right now, but if I wait until 3PM to tee off (still plenty of light to get in 18) the cost is $31, plus the course is empty! VS totally full in the morning.

I'm sure this is done because there is a larger market for golfers in the morning, which leads me to my question. Why does everyone want to go early in the morning that badly?

I have to say, that I'd much rather take care of my chores then reward myself with a round of golf for much less $.

Whiskey

It's good you realized that you answered your original question. Demand is high in the morning and dynamic pricing allows for courses to match price to demand. There are any number of reasons why people prefer morning vs afternoon golf, but I'd swing it as a positive for you that you prefer an afternoon tee time at half the price with an open course. Sounds like a win/win for you.

I'm waaaayy too drunk by 3:00 to walk, much less play.

I want to be able to get out when cooler, plus I still have the rest of the day to do other things.

Can't beat the Dew sweepers, early morning is the prime time because the course is usually in pristine condition and its a lot cooler in the morning.

I totally agree!

Typically I'll play in the afternoons during the weekdays (after work), but love playing in the mornings on the weekend. Morning golf > Afternoon golf... Also allows me to be able to do stuff in the afternoon on the weekends.

During the summer months I'm doing a lot more than just playing golf and since I'm awake usually by 6:30 I like to be on the course by 7:30 am at the latest. That allows me to go boating/jet skiing/paddling all afternoon and/or just enjoy the day with family and friends.

If I'm playing on a weekend at my club or on a boys weekend, we are almost always playing 27 to 45 holes that day so an early start is a must.

Last edited:
I agree with you, but life doesn't work that way. There is no golf reward for me.
The wife would much rather have me play as early as possible so we still have the majority of the day to do family stuff.

I play the vast majority of my golf in the afternoon for a few reasons. One of them isn't cost savings because I have a membership and walk so pay nothing when I play. The reasons are that I hate to wait to hit a shot and the heat doesn't bother me at all.

Like other people have said, not much competing for my time at 7AM on a weekend. Also, I like the predictability. I know that I'll be done in around 3 1/2 hours if I'm one of the first groups off. Around here, the afternoons are a gamble. You might have the course to yourself, but you also might be going off behind a bachelor party.

There are several courses around me that actually have discounted tee times before 8am. Surprising because that’s really before the heat hits. Otherwise it’s just supply and demand as others have said.

Back