Are public courses disapearing in NorthEast Ohio

mreiter

Titleist Junkie
Reaction score
Handicap
In the last month I have heard of two course in Northern Ohio that are selling the courses to build housing developments. One I know for sure is Sweetbriar (Same owner just more money in housing I guess) is closing 9 holes and the other is Dragon Ranch. They are in talks with a housing developer.

Interesting because I live in Amherst and havent heard that about Dragon Ranch. Fairway Promotions purchased them just this past year so you would think they would be staying open. And thats the first Ive heard of Sweetbriar closing a 9.

Lost 3 courses by me a couple years ago, but have been holding steady since then.

Fairways management is leasing Dragon Ranch from the Mulinax family until December 31 of 2020. Mr Ed Mulinax passed away a month or so ago. A co-worker of mine golfs in a league at dragon ranch, and he was told if not 2019 then 2020 they may need to move due to sale of the property. The thing I don't understand is why would you want to build so close to the speedy way? I wouldn't!

In the last month I have heard of two course in Northern Ohio that are selling the courses to build housing developments. One I know for sure is Sweetbriar (Same owner just more money in housing I guess) is closing 9 holes and the other is Dragon Ranch. They are in talks with a housing developer.

Well to be completely fair....sweetbriar (old course sucked) and dragon ranch was even playable. So, are we really “losing” anything if those two close? I wasn’t playing them anyways for what they offered and I’m not sure how they could stay open charging less or more than what they were charging for the product they were offering.

Sweetbriar makes sense. Sell the land. Invest into upgrades for the legacy course which is gorgeous and stop bleeding on the crap end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I get the legacy move. It does suck.
Well to be completely fair....sweetbriar (old course sucked) and dragon ranch was even playable. So, are we really “losing” anything if those two close? I wasn’t playing them anyways for what they offered and I’m not sure how they could stay open charging less or more than what they were charging for the product they were offering.

Sweetbriar makes sense. Sell the land. Invest into upgrades for the legacy course which is gorgeous and stop bleeding on the crap end.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Emerald Woods, Avondale. Blue Heron, Astrohurst, Skyland all come to mind as recent closings.

Valley of the Eagles is the only new course I can think of built in the last 10 years and that only happened because they closed Spring Valley. I also heard Valleaire might close and Hawthorne Valley almost did.

That said NE Ohio, ignoring winter, might be the best collection of public courses under $75 anywhere.

The 18 course was in awful shape this year, not a single good thing about that course except for the fact it is at least better than Dorlon.

Emerald Woods, Avondale. Blue Heron, Astrohurst, Skyland all come to mind as recent closings.

Valley of the Eagles is the only new course I can think of built in the last 10 years and that only happened because they closed Spring Valley. I also heard Valleaire might close and Hawthorne Valley almost did.

That said NE Ohio, ignoring winter, might be the best collection of public courses under $75 anywhere.
Dorlon just closed also

lol read my edit.

I do owe Dorlon for my for taking my cap from 18 to low singles in a year. $400 for an unlimited M-F season pass with cart let me play a million rounds. She had been trying to sell that place for years

lol read my edit.

I do owe Dorlon for my for taking my cap from 18 to low singles in a year. $400 for an unlimited M-F season pass with cart let me play a million rounds. She had been trying to sell that place for years
True, good point

Add Tam O'Shanter to the closing list. They were still buying tv add time as of a few weeks ago.

Back