Back to Basics : Posture and Stance

flog2424

Philippians 4:13
Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie

With everyone starting the year trying to become better, I was curious if you could comment on some basic fundamentals for all of us to touch up on.

One thing I sometimes struggle with is my posture. Can you give us some check points to check on. My biggest issue seems to be bending at the waist/lower back and not hips and not getting the correct pelvis tilt. Also, I feel sometimes I have little leg bend while other times I feel I have too much.

Love to hear some feedback and guidance

Any advice would be much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great topic Kyle. It's always the little things that can go unnoticed.

If Freddie can add a little on alignment as well that would be great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I struggle with this as well, and one of the drills the Swingbyte virtual coach recommended was to put the grip end of your club on your belt buckle, then bend over until the head of the club is pointing at the ball at address. Then just move the club away from your body until your hands are below your chin. It's a little funky at first, but has really worked wonders for me.

Excellent topic. It's amazing what good posture and setup can do for you.

I spent my first 2+ years struggling mightily with a slice, thinking I was badly OTT and trying all sorts of different tips. One in person lesson and the pro immediately pointed out that I was setting up with my shoulders wide open, I had no choice but to cut across the ball.

Looking forward to Freddie's tips, posture and setup are things anyone can work on in the winter months.

I think the easiest way to make sure you are in a good posture position is to make sure your arms hanging and not extended. They should be hanging so that you hands are about 6" from your upper leg. If you have to extend or push them away then a waist adjustment or knee flex adjustment should be made.

Have you ever noticed at impact when viewed from behind the line the golfers right forearm and clubshaft are in-line? Have you also noticed at address these same players set up with an angle between their right forearm and the clubshaft? WHY??? There is no basis for setting up with the shaft going through your waist and having an angle between your right forearm and shaft. Golfers who set up like this always struggle with posture because they set up with the left shoulder too close to the ball, they don't have enough radius. When they come into impact and the right forearm aligns with the shaft they need more radius between the left shoulder and ball and they get that typical hunch back, standing up appearance at impact trying to get more room. This can easily be corrected by setting up with your impact alignments, you won't have to compensate at impact for mis-alignments.

This is what you need to do, set up in front of a mirror so you can see yourself from back down the line. Adjust your knee and waist bend until your right forearm and clubshaft are in-line. Usually most golfers need to stand taller. Congratulations, you are now in perfect impact alignment and there is no need to deviate from this at address. You've also established your correct knee and waist angle. Go out and play golf.

Back