Confidential Bridgestone Golf Balls Review Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Last week we held signups for some unmarked Bridgestone golf balls and there were 6+ THPers that have had multiple sleeves sent out to them. Each tester will be receiving two different types of golf balls and they are codenamed on the package.

This thread will be for their reviews and discussions as well as answering any questions you might have about what could possibly be a new product in the future.

This should be fun! Blind testing is purely about performance so I can't wait to see the results.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Should be very interesting.

Should be very interesting.

Yes, very interesting. I don’t want to oversell this but there are new golf balls coming from just about everybody for 2019. We could all stay with our favorites or test to find the best one for our games. I say that we test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super excited about this. I have enjoyed the different Bridgestone balls I have played in the past but never really put on to the ringers. I already have some short game testing plans in mind to get started with!

Can’t wait any longer.

Excited to see the reviews on these.

Looking forward to testing these. I’ve been a fan of the Bridgestone balls for a long time, the marketing....less so in the last year. I’m going to go in with an open mind and give these an honest trial, and I will endeavor to include the good, bad, ugly and everything in between.

I know we’ve all seen a lot of ball reviews and testing on here, What does everyone want to know about these?

Quick bit of relevant info, in a pretty high swing speed player, but a high handicap, and I don’t have access to a launch monitor or a way to get actual spin rates, I will do my best to give you an idea of what kind of spin I see. I don’t play a ton of hop and stop type shots on approaches, but I do like to see the ball check a bit and not roll out for a week, and I do try to play for different types of roll out.

I'm super excited about this! I mostly play what I find on the course, but I really love it when I find a Bridgestone, a ProV1x or Chromesoft. One of these days it will be time for me to start buying balls for consistency reasons.

Whiskey

Something fun showed up in my mailbox today.

https://i.imgur.com/KsdX0Gf.jpg

JB, any rules on what we can/can’t share?

Are they urethane or surlyn? Can you tell?

In a class right now but there is a package waiting for me at home!!

Two different balls

Two different balls

20180924_174411.jpg

20180924_175446.jpg

Got my package and noticed right away we are dealing with two different balls here. The softer ones putt like a dream, that is all the testing I have done so far.

I wonder what the H and S stand for?

If we look at those labels and we think one says speed and the other one says soft. The H and S could be hard and soft. Obviously just a wild guess though

Additionally: Guys have mentioned the dimples. They look identical on both balls and so totally different than what we’ve seen recently on the Bridgestone balls.

All that’s missing from the blank white boxes is a logo with “TOP SECRET” written across it. Of course, they are already top secret but something about seeing those boxes gives me a “VIP” feeling. Can’t wait to hear your thoughts everyone, especially those that are currently gaming Bridgestone balls.

efdf971558536cf0fca49409f7438f9e.jpg

And so it begins......

I have plans to start with these on one of the greens on my home course. I will be focusing on feel off the putter and using my Cleveland HB#1. I definitely have some Z-Stars, Q-Star Tours, Chrome Soft, Supersoft, ProV1s, E6s, and B330s to compare to. Feel is subjective of course but will do my best to compare them to some of the other balls.

I will be following that up with some short game work, chipping, pitching, and bunkers using the other balls for comparison. Again looking for feel but also spin, run out, durability, etc.

Following up will be approach shots with various irons, then hybrids and FWs, and finally driver.

Obviously this is more of a long term plan as I can’t do it all at once. If there is anything in particular anyone wants me to try and work in please let me know.

I like starting from on and around the green to longer clubs. Any launch monitor access for comparison of numbers?

Looking forward to thoughts and reviews

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like starting from on and around the green to longer clubs. Any launch monitor access for comparison of numbers?

Looking forward to thoughts and reviews

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I got them in the mailbox after my round Monday. I am not playing again until next weekend at the earliest but plan to get some launch monitor numbers this week if I'm not too tired after work.

The joy of rural mail is always getting things a day later than predicted :laugh:

Set aside some time last night to head over the my home course to putt and chip but received notice I wouldn't get the balls until this afternoon so will have to push that back. I plan on going after my assessment much the same way as illustrated above. Starting with the short game and working farther out. With no convenient access to launch monitors most of my game will be spent with feel shots. I may try to see if I can spend some time in a booth at one of the local indoor shops for some monitor numbers. Can't wait to dive into these.

efdf971558536cf0fca49409f7438f9e.jpg

And so it begins......

I have plans to start with these on one of the greens on my home course. I will be focusing on feel off the putter and using my Cleveland HB#1. I definitely have some Z-Stars, Q-Star Tours, Chrome Soft, Supersoft, ProV1s, E6s, and B330s to compare to. Feel is subjective of course but will do my best to compare them to some of the other balls.

I will be following that up with some short game work, chipping, pitching, and bunkers using the other balls for comparison. Again looking for feel but also spin, run out, durability, etc.

Following up will be approach shots with various irons, then hybrids and FWs, and finally driver.

Obviously this is more of a long term plan as I can’t do it all at once. If there is anything in particular anyone wants me to try and work in please let me know.

Soft, speed??

Soft, speed??

I saw that too and so did a few others but I am not going to assume it is a new model of a current make ball based on that alone. I will be referring to them as simply red and black based on the color of the number on the ball.

Back