Question for higher handicappers

luvagoodshot

Reaction score
Handicap
Yes
This question is only for those with a 17 and higher handicap

I am interested in finding out how many GIR's on average higher handicappers get during a 18 hole round of golf.

For me personally, I don't get a whole lot of GIR's, but I am getting more now than in the past simply because I have my driving game working decently for me and am hitting the majority of FW's on my tee shots. For myself I average only about 4 GIR's per round and my current handicap is at 19. I play from the middle (white) tees.

Oh, BTW, it would be helpful if you could post which tees or yardage do you normally play from

Last edited:
I'm at 27 right now and The Grint tells me I'm at 13% (2.3 GIR) since I started using it in 2016, and 14% (2.6 GIR) for my last 20 rounds.

Very few. Even Par 3's usually leave me short. When your good drives are 150yds you have a lot of distance to make up. I keep reminding myself - Par is the number of strokes that an expert (scratch) golfer should have to get the ball in the hole.

I'm not sure whether I still qualify as a high handicapper or not. I shot 91 today on a very difficult course, but I'm in the 80's more often than not. I hit 8 greens today.

I don't know my handicap but right now I shoot in the mid 90s. I will shoot in the 100s on a rough day.. According to 18 Birdies, over my last 5 rounds I've hit 23% GIR. My scores are generally high because of blow up holes (double bogey or worse) and penalties (lost balls, etc). On mymy last round I shot 99 with 9 GIR (Ugh)

Addendum: I play from the White tees, which are one step below the pro tees About 6100 yards with 68ish rating) . I should be ayong closer, but my playing partner likes to play from there.

Last edited:
I lack enough distance off the tee to get enough greens. I'm always left with a long 2nd shot so I hit about 20% on a round.

Very few. Even Par 3's usually leave me short. When your good drives are 150yds you have a lot of distance to make up. I keep reminding myself - Par is the number of strokes that an expert (scratch) golfer should have to get the ball in the hole.

Just curious as to which tees you normally play

In my OP to this thread, I probably should have asked which tees do you normally play from. For me it's the middle (white) tees

I'm a 26 and arrcos has me at 14.2% GIR. Usually play the White tees.
I haven't played or practiced as much as I would have liked this year.
I have struggled off the tee with the driver which makes GIR tough.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
20.5 HC here and per Arccos, I manage a paltry 4.14 GIR.

Depressing numbers for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

20.5 HC here and per Arccos, I manage a paltry 4.14 GIR.

Depressing numbers for sure.

. . . but I'm guessing your first putts are significantly shorter than mine and/or there are a few one-putts on your scorecard.

Hole19 shows me at 13% GIR. That sounds about right. I’m a 29.4 HC right now.

. . . but I'm guessing your first putts are significantly shorter than mine and/or there are a few one-putts on your scorecard.
Per Arccos my putting HC is 12.2, but approaches 21.8.

My sand Arccos cap is also 12.0.

My biggest issues are leaving greens short and pounding tee shots OB.

I still stink overall. And it's bad lol.

Actually I did the math a tinly little bit wrong.

I hit 23.4% GIR.

This is actually closer to 4.2 and some change---not that it should matter much.

I'm around a 10 handicap and I normally play from 6,500 to 6,700 yards.
I hit 50% FIR / 38% GIR / 33 Putts per Round.

This question is only for those with a 17 and higher handicap

Are am interested in finding out how many GIR's on average higher handicappers get during a 18 hole round of golf.

For me personally, I don't get a whole lot of GIR's, but I am getting more now than in the past simply because I have my driving game working decently for me and am hitting the majority of FW's on my tee shots. For myself I average only about 4 GIR's per round and my current handicap is at 19. I play from the middle (white) tees.

Oh, BTW, it would be helpful if you could post which tees or yardage do you normally play from

I usually play from the whites, but if my playing partners want to play the blues I will.

My driving game is excelent for my handicap. I usually find the fairway or just off it. My average drive is about 230-240, but I have hit 280+ with wind or downhill. (my watch tells me these things)
My wood game is average.
My approch shot game from 160 in is Sub-Par. I struggle with looping the club and swinging across the ball sometimes. For that reason I go just left, or just right of the green almost always.

I probably have 2 GIR's in a round on average, but there have been rounds where I'm well rested and in the zone where this is up to 8+.

My chipping and putting game is good though, I've been practicing on getting up and down and my handicap is around 22 now and dropping rapidly as I play more rounds.

Whiskey

Last edited:
I'm a 27 and I've hit 1.8 (9.7%) per round over my last 20 rounds.

I don't have an official handicap but I'm probably a 24-25.

The phone app where I track my play currently says I average 3 GIR's per round.

It also says that I'm hitting 47% of fairways and averaging 2.09 putts per hole (thank you Cure!)

I usually play from the whites, but if my playing partners want to play the blues I will.

My driving game is excelent for my handicap. I usually find the fairway or just off it. My average drive is about 230-240, but I have hit 280+ with wind or downhill. (my watch tells me these things)
My wood game is average.
My approch shot game from 160 in is Sub-Par. I struggle with looping the club and swinging across the ball sometimes. For that reason I go just left, or just right of the green almost always.

I probably have 2 GIR's in a round on average, but there have been rounds where I'm well rested and in the zone where this is up to 8+.

My chipping and putting game is good though, I've been practicing on getting up and down and my handicap is around 22 now and dropping rapidly as I play more rounds.

Whiskey

Sounds like you are making continual and progressive improvements in your game. Kudos.

20.3 HC and hitting ~ 20% GIR and avg 2.0 putts per hole.

Mostly playing from whites or blues to shoot for 6,000+ yards, but recently my group started to play from the tips as well.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Back