Driving Iron - Slower Swing Speeds

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey folks, anyone out there with a slower swing speed gaming a driving iron? How have you found Its performance, did it stay in your bag? Any challenges?

Finding it very difficult to come across demos for on course testing.

messing around with one now, off the tee it is great but so far off the deck it has been awful. More testing tomorrow on a tight course so it should get more tee work.

I will have one next week to try out. Can post then.

messing around with one now, off the tee it is great but so far off the deck it has been awful. More testing tomorrow on a tight course so it should get more tee work.

I will have one next week to try out. Can post then.

Awesome, thanks guys! I always find driving irons and wedges are so hard to demo with real, on course testing.

They sure are, I hit ten balls off a mat and bought it. Perfect contact (no screen, so no numbers) and off real grass so far crapple.

Really liking the new Srixon U85 driving irons, had a chance to hit one at my local PGASS and it performed well. Hitting it on turf might be a different story as Jim mentioned, don't really want buy one until I have a go on turf at a demo day.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have a tough time launching my 21* driving iron but it's probably the lower launching shaft. I think the key as always is to find the right head and shaft combo.

I swing about 98 with driver and just started using a driving iron today and loved it. Went with 80g graphite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I picked up a 19* GAPR hi and today was the first round out with it and it performed really really well for me. Hit it off the tee twice (once on a par 3, once on a par 4) was just off the green on the par 3, right in the middle of the fairway on the par 4.

Hit it 4 times from the deck, once from the rough and 3 times from the fairway. 2 of them were layups and both worked really really well. 2 approaches, 1 was a very well struck ball, hit the middle of the green and released out off the green. The other was a terrible swing and I got a low pulled screamer that went about 10' off the ground.

So far so good, better results for me overall than the 5W it is currently replacing so it will stay in for a while longer. if it doesn't work for me off the deck I doubt I will keep it in the bag, but so far so good.

I picked up a 19* GAPR hi and today was the first round out with it and it performed really really well for me. Hit it off the tee twice (once on a par 3, once on a par 4) was just off the green on the par 3, right in the middle of the fairway on the par 4.

Hit it 4 times from the deck, once from the rough and 3 times from the fairway. 2 of them were layups and both worked really really well. 2 approaches, 1 was a very well struck ball, hit the middle of the green and released out off the green. The other was a terrible swing and I got a low pulled screamer that went about 10' off the ground.

So far so good, better results for me overall than the 5W it is currently replacing so it will stay in for a while longer. if it doesn't work for me off the deck I doubt I will keep it in the bag, but so far so good.
Is the GAPR hi more of a hybrid though?

Is the GAPR hi more of a hybrid though?

it has a rounded back but a pretty flat face, sets up square and launches pretty low. Launch angle has been about 14-18 with it at the range and I think it is much lower spinning than most hybrids I have seen

Really depends on how you want to categorize it but with the size and flight I consider it more of a driving iron than a hybrid.

Awesome, thanks guys! I always find driving irons and wedges are so hard to demo with real, on course testing.

Yeah and wedges are so hard to buy in a store. You can't figure out crap on a mat with a wedge. I learn more just picking them up and holding them, feeling the weight, kind of wiggling to get the balance of it, and looking at the head to see if it looks right for how I use a wedge. Wedges are the most personal clubs in golf.

Yeah and wedges are so hard to buy in a store. You can't figure out crap on a mat with a wedge. I learn more just picking them up and holding them, feeling the weight, kind of wiggling to get the balance of it, and looking at the head to see if it looks right for how I use a wedge. Wedges are the most personal clubs in golf.

100%... I know for a fact that my Edels don’t work for me because I chased used ones that obviously weren’t fit for me. They were great clubs in July but any course that holds water and my steep swing started to dig to China. Then I gambled on sight unseen Hogan’s which are ok... I’m sure I’d enjoy them more if I reshaftsd to Steelfibers but the current recoils in them are way to light. Oh well, the struggles of golf!

Back