Strategy: The short/driveable par 4

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
This is based off of JB's discussion of do you know how to score...

You have the distance....How do you play this hole? Do you go for it? Play to a number?

Stroke play vs Match play, does your strategy change?

Edit: previous scenario was too easy with no trouble. What if the hole looks more like this. Its the 18th hole and your match is AS, your first on the tee.
holenumber018_fs.jpg

Last edited:
Go for it with no danger regardless if stroke or match.

Go for it.

if there is only a greenside bunker to contend with? Green light all day. Greenside bunker in one shot on a par 4 sounds like an amazing miss.

If the trouble is on the right side, I'm even more inclined to go after it. Why not?

Edit for changed scenario:

Go for it no matter what with a 3w fade off the tee. Doublecross is unlikely for me with that club so I'll either hit the perfect power fade and get on, or I'll be right of the green with few obstacles.

Last edited:
I can't reach it anyways, I'll play to anumber

#shortknocker

Before I saw the stroke play vs Match play I would say lay up to my number. I dont feel great about going all out on a driver with that kind of accuaracy. But match play? Interesting choice and would really depend on what my counterpart did first or my position in match. Also how much I drank that round would weigh heavily into this decision.

With no danger, why wouldn't you go for it? The worst you could do is have a short pitch or maybe a putt from the fringe if you miss the green, which can be a pretty high percentage shot. I say go for it all day

• Admin
Guess I should have thought about adding a forced carry or water to make it more challenging.

Depends on what club it is to reach. I don't feel like my driver will ever get me close enough to the hole, so if my options are potential long putt after reaching with my driver, or being 20 yards short in the fairway with a wedge after going 3 wood...I'm going 20 yards short every time. That's basically green light for me to get to tap in range after that short pitch.

The opening hole of a local course has this exact hole layout. I've seen more people screw up going for it with driver than I have from people laying up and getting close after shot 2.

With very little danger, I'm going for it every time. With a forced carry, I probably think about it a little bit more. Depends on how easy a shot the layup leaves me and how difficult the tee shot is.

Stroke play = go for it.
Match play = depends on who has the tee, how the match is going, and how I'm swinging the big stick for the day. Because there are days when I'm super confident in the driver but have no trust in anything else and vice versa.

hole13.png

I have one that I play regularly at The Highlands of Elgin, a bunch of THP'ers have played it. Huge bail out right but that puts you above the green with the green running away from you. Really neat strategic hole. I hit 3w or driver right at it every time. Trying to get it on or in the green side bunkers.

No danger present, i go for it regardless of the situation. IF it's a tighter driving hole or the hole has some shape to it, i'll pull the 3w and figure out the second shot from there.

Changed Scenario.

I wouldn't be Mango Smash if I didn't go for it.

Changed Scenario.

So are we talking 291 or 276? Or in this scenario is it whatever we could reach with the driver? Because I'm not reaching either of those haha

So are we talking 291 or 276? Or in this scenario is it whatever we could reach with the driver? Because I'm not reaching either of those haha

Then play the golds at 244 :alien:

The idea is that you do have the distance to reach the green.

On the edited scenario, assuming I'm playing the whites, I'll probably give it a go. I'll start it on the left part of the fairway and try and get it cutting so I can chase it up there close to or on the green. As long as I can stay out of the bunkers, I'll be in really good shape. The water is out of play for me.

Playing to a number for me. No need to power through with an ill advised swing as the likely hood of me reaching the green is slim. Wedge it in close and drop the birdie putt. End of story.

I am pulling whatever club gets me to the widest part of the fairway before it narrows and will not reach the bunker on the right.

What's on the left side of the green? Hazard or just thick nasty rough?

Thick tall grass under the trees, your ball might be impossible to find so Hazard. There is a small area of normal rough surrounding the green.

Playing to a number for me. No need to power through with an ill advised swing as the likely hood of me reaching the green is slim. Wedge it in close and drop the birdie putt. End of story.

That's my thoughts exactly

I am pulling out driver all day there and not second guessing it

Back