Best Driver ball speed retention on the top of the face?

gmiller598

Par 3 Net Zero
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So I really like my Rogue driver but I tend to hit the top half of the face more often than anywhere else when I miss the center even though I don't hit downward on the ball. The sound when I hit there is higher pitched and it just feels firmer than when I hit the center and costs me a bit of distance. Its just high enough to miss the center but not so high that I put sky marks on clubs.

It got me thinking that I see tons of drivers that use cup face and things like that which seem to allow for better ball speed retention when hit low on the face. Which drivers out there now seem to hold ball speed the best when hit high on the face? Ping G400 Max? Just curious on others experience with their drivers when they hit above center.

DnxbETpXsAEshTz.jpg:large

I’ve had some of my best results with an R15 hitting it above the middle (I’ll need to see what I get with my new M3) IIRC hitting it from there takes a lot of the spin off.

I seem to remember Justin Rose deliberately hitting it a little off of the top and a little out of the toe, as the gear effect promotes a draw and hitting it high on the face takes the spin off. There were pics going round of his driver with a slight wear mark there.

So I really like my Rogue driver but I tend to hit the top half of the face more often than anywhere else when I miss the center even though I don't hit downward on the ball. The sound when I hit there is higher pitched and it just feels firmer than when I hit the center and costs me a bit of distance. Its just high enough to miss the center but not so high that I put sky marks on clubs.

It got me thinking that I see tons of drivers that use cup face and things like that which seem to allow for better ball speed retention when hit low on the face. Which drivers out there now seem to hold ball speed the best when hit high on the face? Ping G400 Max? Just curious on others experience with their drivers when they hit above center.

The current driver trend is for low CG. Nike drivers used to have the highest CG location on the market. Might not want to tee your ball as high and see if that helps.

Dave

G400 Max by a large margin on my testing. But the 585 I just finished reviewing was quite good there as well there on ball speed retention.

The current driver trend is for low CG. Nike drivers used to have the highest CG location on the market. Might not want to tee your ball as high and see if that helps.

Dave

I think my tee height is fine. I probably need to hover a bit more in my setup before starting my backswing. I know I've always heard hitting slightly above center is ideal for the lowest spin but I think that i'm hitting just slightly higher than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back