New Irons Recommendation

ttusomeone

Reaction score
Handicap
Getting back into golf after playing sporadically the past several years. I'd like to get a new set of irons to replace the ones I bought in college. I know I'm ultimately going to have to go to a golf shop and try some different ones, but I wanted to see what recommendations you all had so I'm not walking in blind.

I'm looking to spend in the $800-$1000 range and would probably go with a set that has hybrids instead of the 3/4 iron.

Welcome to THP.

I will say there are a lot of great iron sets out there. I myself have tried a lot of them myself, I would say my first choice would be to look at the Ping G400’s and they have some awesome hybrids, very forgiving and easy to hit. Any of the G series hybrids are great.

Thanks for the recommendations. I've looked at the Ping's and Callaway's and they are on the top of my list.

You could also look at the Muzino JPX 900 hot metals, will be some good deals on them now being that the new 919 series just came out.

Welcome to THP!

Take a look at the Cobras F8 or Forged Tec Black.
Both in standard or One Length. Great underrated clubs.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

Getting back into golf after playing sporadically the past several years. I'd like to get a new set of irons to replace the ones I bought in college. I know I'm ultimately going to have to go to a golf shop and try some different ones, but I wanted to see what recommendations you all had so I'm not walking in blind.

I'm looking to spend in the $800-$1000 range and would probably go with a set that has hybrids instead of the 3/4 iron.

If you have been away from golf for awhile I suggest spending $50 to $75 for a lesson, at which you could ask the teaching pro for equipment recommendations.

If you have been away from golf for awhile I suggest spending $50 to $75 for a lesson, at which you could ask the teaching pro for equipment recommendations.

That's a great idea that I didn't think of. Given it's been a decade since I've had any lessons, that makes sense.

Lessons and other threads are good advice. I say try everything, because compared to your expectations, some will shock you - some good, and some bad.

I was fitted for a set of Ping Gs two years ago, and they have been very good for me. However, they have lost their spot in the bag to the TaylorMade M4s I am evaluating for THP:

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php/103758-TaylorMade-M4-Irons-Thread

They are in my bag for three reasons:
  1. A consistent, repeatable shot
  2. Extraordinary feedback on mishits for a game improvement club
  3. Shot results that are much better than you would expect from the feedback

That seems to be the consensus of the three THP long-term testers. The M3 is less of a game improvement club, is also in a long-term THP test, and is also getting rave reviews.

I'll vouch for the BB OS irons if you have no issues with large irons but the dark color helps hide the size well. I got to demo the Ping G700 against my BB OS irons yesterday on an outdoor range and they held up with similar shafts. They might be just as long as anything out there now. I've also hit them against the Rogue X on Trackman and the fitter didn't see enough distance between them to recommend me making the switch.

If you know your length and lie specs the Callaway pre-owned will be able to take care of you well if that is the route you choose to go.

Cleveland Launcher HB's have gotten great reviews. Maybe a Launcher CBX/HB combo set if you prefer a mix of conventional irons.

As much as running out and getting new sticks sounds fun, I second all the comments about lessons and previous generation clubs. I made the mistake of buying a whole new lineup after 9 years of not playing. Lets just say that was an expense mistake, because that set of clubs is still collecting dust after only 6 months of play. Nothing like dropping a ton of coin on the wrong clubs...

This is not related to the OP, but a friend of mine is a rep for Callaway. He does lots of demo days, fittings etc... He's told me a couple of times that it bothers him when a customer insists on buying a full set of irons or woods. His point is that most players , and every beginner player, would be better off buying something like SW, 9-iron, 7-iron, 5-iron, a hybrid, a 3-wood, putter.
So, 7 club bag instead of 14 clubs. His point is that it makes to sense to learn to hit those clubs well, achieve some honest distance separation difference from those clubs, and then later in a year or two move on to adding additional clubs or an entirely new set.

This is not related to the OP, but a friend of mine is a rep for Callaway. He does lots of demo days, fittings etc... He's told me a couple of times that it bothers him when a customer insists on buying a full set of irons or woods. His point is that most players , and every beginner player, would be better off buying something like SW, 9-iron, 7-iron, 5-iron, a hybrid, a 3-wood, putter.
So, 7 club bag instead of 14 clubs. His point is that it makes to sense to learn to hit those clubs well, achieve some honest distance separation difference from those clubs, and then later in a year or two move on to adding additional clubs or an entirely new set.

That make sense. FWIW, that's sorta what I planned to do. I already have a nice putter (albeit older but no need to replace) and an okay SW. I wasn't going to replace my driver and woods until I could hit what I have decently. I wonder from a cost standpoint how much difference there is between buying 3 irons and a hybrid versus a full set of irons?

I bought a set of Srixon Z565 irons a few weeks ago and I love them. They are super easy to hit and great looking imo.

That make sense. FWIW, that's sorta what I planned to do. I already have a nice putter (albeit older but no need to replace) and an okay SW. I wasn't going to replace my driver and woods until I could hit what I have decently. I wonder from a cost standpoint how much difference there is between buying 3 irons and a hybrid versus a full set of irons?

I believe Ping, Callaway, Taylor Made etc... charges the same (per iron price) whether a customer buys a single iron or an entire set.
Ping is a good one which will accept orders for whichever irons the customer wants to buy, and give those irons a serial number. So, if at a later time the customer wants to order additional irons, Ping uses the previous serial number as a reference and makes the additional clubs to the same specs as the previous ones.
If your question is whether a single iron costs more than a single hybrid, usually the hybrids are higher priced than an iron, but it depends on the brands and, or,models. If you do have a lesson the pro will be able to advise you about sensible equipment for your game, including brands, model, set composition etc....

I agree with getting lessons before making a purchase. I will say the Tommy Armour line has really surprised me this year and are easily the cheapest new set for 2018. The new TA stuff coming out will be more "better player" oriented so the TA1 stuff will not be replaced for the next generation.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

i say save your money for a few months, and just go play as much golf as you can. get back into the groove, fall back in love with the game, then reassess your needs. i like the idea of taking a lesson or two after you have spent some time getting reacquainted with the game. if you decide you're going to stick with it, maybe treat yourself to some new clubs when your instructor says you're ready. and most importantly, have fun!

+1 on the Pings, you also can order replacements later regardless of whether it is a current model or not. You just need the serial number.

Dave

Back