Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

These showed up last week, and I couldn't be happier with them. The gapping is what I hoped it would be.

The Heavenwood is about 5 to 10 yards longer so far than the V Series Heavenwood.
I think the extra weight works for my swing.

Now, the 816 is solid! With only 3 rounds with it, I'm seeing a longer flight than the 815 and so far, have been hitting almost all the fairways. Looking forward to hitting these clubs for a long time.

0365a439f7a489417c933fb908b1d957.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

This clubs continues to amaze me! I have only been on the course a couple times this year but man is it easy to hit and it is LONG! I think this is going to be a great addition to my game!

You guys are going to cost me more money!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite fairway wood EVER.

I cannot agree more with this statement...I honestly have not carries a fairway wood for 2.5 years because I was fed up with not being able to hit one or find one that I like! That has all changed with this club. So versatile...so forgiving...so long! Love it!

This club is just so versatile. As Jman has said, it is an MOI beast with the heavier weight located in the back. If that setting has you hitting moonshots, you can toggle the weights and play with the loft to dial this thing in specifically to your needs.

From my own experience, I was surprised with the amount of forgiveness that the driver still possessed with the heavy weight forward as I was a little nervous when Garrett at ECPC suggested this, but I couldn't argue with the results. I'm going to sound like some guy on an infomercial here, but this club is so good and so versatile that you feel sorry for the other offerings in the 3w slot. Which is no slight to the GBB or XR series whatsoever.

Thanks. I love the LTD driver and demo'd both the Ltd and 816 fairways. The 816 seemed to be a beast, but the Ltd felt better. I am still torn and will demo each again.

I much prefer just about everything about the 816 over the LTD FW's. they are just absolutely fantastic FW's.

Hit this one on the range again today. Really starting to get comfortable with it, and love it more each time I hit it. Cannot wait to get it on the course which should be very soon. With the weight in the back this club is just a great fit for me and the head shape suits my eye very well.

Hi 3 wood. I still love you. Thank you for being a freaking monster today on the course. From the deck or off a tee it didn't matter. A fantastic feel and flight and all the distance I could need

I only had a chance to hit my 3W once today, but it was a great tee shot. Draw right around a dog leg left par 4, leaving 95 yards to the pin. I think this club will be a nice weapon for me this year.

Yep, I love this club as well.

Just an unreal tee club for me on about 8 holes today.

Yup, this club is the real deal for me. Real. Deal.

Off the deck. On the tee. Just doesn't get any better than this club.

I'm having a serious love affair with this club. It has taken me SO LONG to find a fairway wood that I really like, and this one is just perfect for me. So much so that I am considering getting the 18 degree, cutting the shaft down a bit, cranking up the loft and playing it like a 7 wood to fit the gap after my 16 degree.

Hands down the 14* is the best club in my bag. Today the wind was pretty bad and I was struggling with keeping my driver on target so I switched to the 3 wood off the tee and the ball was just cutting right through the wind. I hit it off the tee most of the day and even hit it a few times off the deck and each time I was just in awe of not only the distance but the ball flight, feel and sound are just everything I'm looking for in a fairway wood

Branden Grace won today using the 816 16* fairway wood. Gotta love seeing the pros agree with us on that club. It's a freaking monster

Hit a silly silly silly bomb off the deckish with this one today at #THPClubClash on a par 5.

What I love about this club is how versatile it is. From the tee of a tight lie. Just so solid

mpeterson CRUSHES this club. It should never leave his bag. I was impressed with how hot the ball comes off of the face of this one.

Fairway woods for me are very much hit or miss. This one definitely is a hit for me.

Playing it with the LZ60 shaft, and the pairing is perfect for me. I had tried ddec's with the Rogue a while back, and the profile just didn't work for me. The LZ gives me the kick I like to feel through the swing.

Bought it mostly to slot in as an off the tee club, but I didn't found it tough to elevate off the grass either (on the range - my one swing on course wasn't my finest). I think this will be a great club in the bag for longer par 5s and tight par 4s.

mpeterson CRUSHES this club. It should never leave his bag. I was impressed with how hot the ball comes off of the face of this one.

Love reading this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was really struggling with consistency on the range yesterday and decided to flip the 3g up front and 16g in the back. The results were night and day, the alpha becomes VERY easy to launch, and yields a high and controllable ball flight in this configuration. I gained a lot of confidence, and was able to salvage a decent 2nd half of practice. I am going to stay with this higher MOI setup for now, but might toy with it later in the season.... I really like have that versatility, as it is like gaming two completely different clubs.

Hi 3 wood. You were my crutch today. You and the 5 wood both carried my crappy tee game as far as you could. Thank you.

In all seriousness, both the 3 wood and 5 wood were again perfect for me. The 816 fairway woods are some of the best clubs I've ever hit

Still my favorite club in the bag. Shaking off the rust with many clubs, but this one is like riding a bike. No adjustment period needed, just aim and the ball is there. Seeing a great highish launch off the tee with a tight draw and off the deck a slight cut that is very predictable and playable (which is saying a lot for me and fairways). Going to be a great club in my bag (and already has been).

I probably sound like a broken record in this thread but the 3 wood just continues to amaze me with how easy it is to hit not only off the tee but off the deck as well. Got home from just over 270 today and I didn't even try to swing hard. All I have to do is just get the face to the ball and the club does the rest of the work.

I probably sound like a broken record in this thread but the 3 wood just continues to amaze me with how easy it is to hit not only off the tee but off the deck as well. Got home from just over 270 today and I didn't even try to swing hard. All I have to do is just get the face to the ball and the club does the rest of the work.

Yeah, to be honest the XR16 can't touch this for me. Still my favorite fairway wood EVER.

Yeah, to be honest the XR16 can't touch this for me. Still my favorite fairway wood EVER.

This has unseated the V series in a big way for me. I didn't love it with the rogue(that profile isn't the best for me) but with the LZ in there it's magic.

I'm looking for reasons to hit it during a round at this point.

Back