Srixon Z85 Fairway Wood Review

Can’t wait to hear the feedback on this one from the guys at the UST event, that combined with Deans review might put me over the edge to giving it a crack at the bag.

Any updates from the event guys now that they're home?

I keep wondering if this could hand with my TEE?

You nailed the review Dean. I fight tempo a lot with the 3W which is why I haven't changed in so long. This line seems to be at the top of my list to try in every category.

Might have to go test these out against my Epic fairways. I'm due some new FW.

Can’t wait to hear the feedback on this one from the guys at the UST event, that combined with Deans review might put me over the edge to giving it a crack at the bag.

I did not hit too many balls with mine yet. What I have seen so far is a very penetrating ball, that seems to be very hot off the face. We did not have any LMs there with us, so no idea on actual spin number, but I would guess its pretty low spin based on the ballflight I was seeing. I will get mine on Trackman Range this week to compare ball speeds to the M4. That should be really interesting. As for looks, it looks great at address. Pretty low profile but not too low. We were given the 3W in 15 degree, and I tend to be more of a 4W guy as I need more launch, especially off the deck, so I'll keep an eye on that.

Jkray hit this off the tee a lot this weekend, and when he caught it flush, he absolutely pounded it out there with a very flat ballflight.

I did not hit too many balls with mine yet. What I have seen so far is a very penetrating ball, that seems to be very hot off the face. We did not have any LMs there with us, so no idea on actual spin number, but I would guess its pretty low spin based on the ballflight I was seeing. I will get mine on Trackman Range this week to compare ball speeds to the M4. That should be really interesting. As for looks, it looks great at address. Pretty low profile but not too low. We were given the 3W in 15 degree, and I tend to be more of a 4W guy as I need more launch, especially off the deck, so I'll keep an eye on that.

Jkray hit this off the tee a lot this weekend, and when he caught it flush, he absolutely pounded it out there with a very flat ballflight.

Good stuff, thank you!

Been talking to ddec about it today, he knows me pretty well and what I like to do with a fairway off the tee. Could be a fun tinker for sure, I'm more curious than I ever would have anticipated.

Good stuff, thank you!

Been talking to ddec about it today, he knows me pretty well and what I like to do with a fairway off the tee. Could be a fun tinker for sure, I'm more curious than I ever would have anticipated.

As Dean said in his review, the sound is really good too. Looking forward to taking quite a few swings with it, hopefully tomorrow, and will post some numbers.

As Dean said in his review, the sound is really good too. Looking forward to taking quite a few swings with it, hopefully tomorrow, and will post some numbers.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to it!

Want.

With 75g 6.5 Hzrdus red.

Based on the event feedback - I want one of those - head to head #bagbattle with my F7 w/ ATTAS 6Star

The heavier 75g Red in this could be a ton of fun.

Frankly, I just really want to hit this head.

Enjoying mine so far, have not hit it a lot being 13.5 but when I have it has been pretty reliable and quite close to the distances I saw on the monitor. I really have no business with a 13.5 but it seems to launch pretty good off the deck quite low as expected but it is very consistently straight or draw.

I am on the fence with the 6.5 red shaft, it actually feels very loose for a 6.5 but might just be the different profile and I need some reps with it. Off the tee with a good swing is showing about 215- 220 I would guess which is very good for me.

I really enjoyed mine this past weekend that was paired with The Attas shaft, which has a little stiffer profile than the 6Star throughout the shaft, but I think it works well with a FW. I think the best shot of the weekend with mine was hitting a green off the deck from 225 yards and having it hold. It’s gonna give my Rogue 3W a serious run for its money! The sound/feel is very nice and it feels hot off the face. It’s gonna give my Rogue 3W a serious run for its money, should be a fun bag battle!

Srixon really brings it in the looks department. I'd love to give these a try (and the 585 driver), but I am somewhat concerned the 3W in the stock offering would be a little too low launch for me. I am currently bagging the Rogue, but really I should be playing my EX 10 Beta, which is the best 3W I've played for my swing.

Srixon really brings it in the looks department. I'd love to give these a try (and the 585 driver), but I am somewhat concerned the 3W in the stock offering would be a little too low launch for me. I am currently bagging the Rogue, but really I should be playing my EX 10 Beta, which is the best 3W I've played for my swing.

FWIW, the HZRDUS Red launches pretty well, def mid/mid-high in my experience.

FWIW, the HZRDUS Red launches pretty well, def mid/mid-high in my experience.

That is actually quite helpful, thanks. I tend to shy away from the HZRDUS line, more out of fear than experience. I'm seeing a very mid launch in the EFB, which isn't bad when struck well.

That is actually quite helpful, thanks. I tend to shy away from the HZRDUS line, more out of fear than experience. I'm seeing a very mid launch in the EFB, which isn't bad when struck well.

No problemo!

Welp, you can add this to my 3W carousel ponder. Great writeup Dean!

So I got the F85 and the Rogue our this evening to do a little visual comparison and a few things stuck out to me. First, the F85 seems is a little more closed than the Rogue. It may be an optical illusion because the top line of the face of the F85 looks straighter, whereas the Rogue looks like the face rolls back a little toward the toe. All that being said, I had more go left this past weekend with the F85 than I normally do with the Rogue but I was hitting almost everything left, so there’s that...

Next I’ll talk about the shape a little, which I really did like. To me it was a mixture between the triangular shape of the 585 driver and a more classic pear shaped head. Where the Rogue FW was more rounded throughout the whole back end of the crown. The F85 was also a little more stretched out from front to back, but that also gives it a nice low profile that inspires confidence when hitting balls off the deck. The design of the crown is EXCELLENT also and packed with visible tech from the aerodynamic step in the crown similar to the Cleveland Launcher line to the visible carbon fiber that makes up the crown. It is an extremely good looking FW to my eye and it frames the ball very well.

The last thing I’ll mention and it may just be me, but the F85 looks just a hair bit more upright than the Rogue. I’ll do a little research on that and add it to this post, I just wanted to get some initial thoughts down before I compare the actual specs between the two. EDIT: lie angle for the F85 is 59*, Rogue lie angle is 57*. So I actually wasn’t just seeing things.

As for the performance, I couldn’t tell that i was losing anything not gaming the Rogue throughout last weekend. That may have been shaft related as I’ve always enjoyed the Attas line more than any other shafts I’ve tried. But I believe Srixon really has something here with a new face material to go along with the cup face design. It feels hot and has a strong sound to go along with it.

I was looking at these this evening at my local store and there was inconsistency within the clubs in the store’s inventory. One in particular sat up much more closed than others. Given that the hosels are glued and not adjustable, this would concern me if I were thinking of ordering on line.

I’ll chime in on this look at address talk when mine arrives next week. :alien:

Just finished up some testing. Will post my thoughts and numbers in a bit, but one thing we can likely all agree on is this paired with The Attas looks awesome

b6372cd13f017fa20e2af8de48773cd5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the Shaft Up Finale last week, we got the 3 Wood (15 degree) and Danny provided me with The Attas 7S in it.

Now I generally play a 4 wood as I need the added launch, especially off the deck. All the balls I hit with this combo in Fla last weekend were off the tee, and I found a really penetrating flight that looked like it went a long ways for a 3 Wood. I was a bit hesitant to try it off the deck.

I hit a lot of balls with it today, all off the deck as it was off mats and all they had were taller tees. Again I found a really penetrating flight, and I could probably use a bit more loft to optimize it (most of the balls I was seeing about 9-10 degrees of launch off the deck; However, the ball speeds with the Z85 were legit. I was hitting it neck and neck against my TM 4 that is a 3HL (16.5 degree) but actually had a longer shaft by a .5 inch it, and also was a 6S.

The highest ball speed I got between the 2 heads was the Z85, and it was by 4 mph on a shot that was just dead flushed and took off. Now, most of my shots between the two were pretty similar in terms of ball speed. I was seeing a bit higher launch in the M4 (around 11 degrees) which is not surprising since it has 1.5 degrees more loft, and is a lighter shaft.

This combo I think would be a monster for me off the tee, but I think a 5W with this shaft would probably be a bit better fit off the deck.

My best ball was a smoked low-ish draw with 226 carry, 247 total, 146 ball speed, an 8.4 launch, and a 68 foot peak height. That is a big distance for me off the deck.

The sound/feel off the face is absolutely superb. Srixon nailed it in that regard.

Last edited:
At the Shaft Up Finale last week, we got the 3 Wood (15 degree) and Danny provided me with The Attas 7S in it.

Now I generally play a 4 wood as I need the added launch, especially off the deck. All the balls I hit with this combo in Fla last weekend were off the tee, and I found a really penetrating flight that looked like it went a long ways for a 3 Wood. I was a bit hesitant to try it off the deck.

I hit a lot of balls with it today, all off the deck as it was off mats and all they had were taller tees. Again I found a really penetrating flight, and I could probably use a bit more loft to optimize it. However, the ball speeds were legit. I was hitting it neck and neck against my TM 4 that is a 3HL (16.5 degree) but actually had a longer shaft by a .5 inch it, and also was a 6S.

The highest ball speed I got between the 2 heads was the Z85, and it was by 4 mph on a shot that was just dead flushed and took off. Now, most of my shots between the two were pretty similar in terms of ball speed. I was seeing a bit higher launch in the M4 which is not surprising since it has 1.5 degrees more loft, and is a lighter shaft.

This combo I think would be a monster for me off the tee, but I think a 5W with this shaft would probably be a bit better fit off the deck.

My best ball was a smoked low-ish draw with 226 carry, 247 total, 146 ball speed, an 8.4 launch, and a 68 foot peak height. That is a big distance for me off the deck.

The sound/feel off the face is absolutely superb. Srixon nailed it in that regard.

Here are the pics from Trackman range on the one shot.

48eb9e9cead6e6878a43171e6d0ab76d.png

d0bbd58eb3b8b6823250e8666242ecbd.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this in the 75g 6.5 HZRDUS Red.. the ball explodes off the face and its a very very muted sound.*When I tested head to head with my Rogue SZ both in 15 degree, the Srixon had faster ball speed on avg by 3mph. The SZ was very slightly lower spinning but I credit that to my HZRDUS Black shaft vs the Red. Surprisingly the Red shaft does not launch it very high at all in my opinion and the spin was still very low. To my eye the Srixon sits neutral, maybe even slightly closed, where as the SubZero had a fade bias. Overall the Srixon for me was much more accurate and easier to control and consistently about 5yds further then the rogue SZ

Back