Srixon Z85 Fairway Wood Review

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
Dean's review on this new fairway wood just hit the homepage here https://www.thehackersparadise.com/36527-2/

1-11.jpg

Nice review, but I do have one question

The review states that the cup face is only available on the 3 and 3+ as those with a 5W are most likely looking for a club to fill a specific distance gap - surely that would still apply to a 3W as well?

The lack of a 4W loft is a shame to me, as that is something I am looking towards changing to over the winter, and based on the driver reviews and comments I have read about, these fairways would have been on the radar as well

The review states that the cup face is only available on the 3 and 3+ as those with a 5W are most likely looking for a club to fill a specific distance gap - surely that would still apply to a 3W as well?

The lack of a 4W loft is a shame to me, as that is something I am looking towards changing to over the winter, and based on the driver reviews and comments I have read about, these fairways would have been on the radar as well

that is the line of thinking. 3W and 3+ are viewed more as a tee alternative so the extra forgiveness of a cup face is there to help, whereas the 5W or 7W(not in this line but using as an example) are used more as clubs to hit a certain number to provide gapping in to hybrids or long irons. It's golf and we all make up our bag differently so what applies to one won't necessarily apply to all, but this is something Srixon believes and they did the same design with the Cleveland Launcher fairways.

Great write up. Srixon is going all out this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that is the line of thinking. 3W and 3+ are viewed more as a tee alternative so the extra forgiveness of a cup face is there to help, whereas the 5W or 7W(not in this line but using as an example) are used more as clubs to hit a certain number to provide gapping in to hybrids or long irons. It's golf and we all make up our bag differently so what applies to one won't necessarily apply to all, but this is something Srixon believes and they did the same design with the Cleveland Launcher fairways.

I obviously look at it a slightly different way but, as you say, it's golf and we all make our bag up differently

Life would be so much more boring if we all had the same clubs in our bag :D

I obviously look at it a slightly different way but, as you say, it's golf and we all make our bag up differently

Life would be so much more boring if we all had the same clubs in our bag :D

exactly, who wants that right?
FWIW, I'm one who questioned not carrying over the cup face design to the 5 wood when Cleveland did it. If they can build it in to one part of the line, you'd think they could make it work on a higher loft.

Great review!!!! Really want to try these as I need new fairways.

exactly, who wants that right?
FWIW, I'm one who questioned not carrying over the cup face design to the 5 wood when Cleveland did it. If they can build it in to one part of the line, you'd think they could make it work on a higher loft.

As to the issue of foregiveness, I would think it would be more imperative for a club being used primarily off the deck as an approach club. From the tee box one is pretty much guaranteed a (relatively) flat lie. Between the tee and green it’s a crap shoot, and most recreational golfers don’t have a chance to practice from different terrain and the various lies it creates.

Maybe that will be something that Srixon bring to a wider range of clubs in the future, along the lines of what Callaway did with the Jailbreak technology in the Epic driver first, then expanding it to the fairways and hybrids?

Excellent stuff Dean. Srixon packed a ton into their new woods. Add me to the list of guys disappointed that there isn't a 4 wood option.

Would you consider this set-up off the rack to be among the lower spinning options on the market? 2500 seems a little low, but that will depend on the user.

As to the issue of foregiveness, I would think it would be more imperative for a club being used primarily off the deck as an approach club. From the tee box one is pretty much guaranteed a (relatively) flat lie. Between the tee and green it’s a crap shoot, and most recreational golfers don’t have a chance to practice from different terrain and the various lies it creates.

certainly a good point.

Maybe that will be something that Srixon bring to a wider range of clubs in the future, along the lines of what Callaway did with the Jailbreak technology in the Epic driver first, then expanding it to the fairways and hybrids?

it's quite possible.

4w has been my go to Fairway wood for about 5-6 years as for me it fits so many roles off the Tee or fairway (rough too)

Great review Dean. I look forward to giving this lineup a try

Solid review Dean. I really like the new look of the Srixon's this year. Going to have to give these a few swings at some point.

Nice review Dean, Srixon has really stepped up this year as far a looks go, as some fellow Thp'ers has mentioned too bad 4 wood wasn't in their line up. Loving the U85 option in 6 and 5 irons, really want to give them a try.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

appreciate all the thoughts from reading this one guys.

Just read this one...great job with the review Deanis. Definitely interested jn the 3w as id like to stay with a cup face option

Love the look.... hope to see in PGASS to test out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Holy ball speed, compared the 13.5 to. CBX 15, Rogue 15 and TS2 15 and with the Hzrdus red 6.5 shaft the Srixon was average 8-10mph more than any of the others with 6.0 or stiff shafts.
Just incredible for me with speeds in the mid 130's and a high of 138 which I think is very close to driver ball speed for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Holy ball speed, compared the 13.5 to. CBX 15, Rogue 15 and TS2 15 and with the Hzrdus red 6.5 shaft the Srixon was average 8-10mph more than any of the others with 6.0 or stiff shafts.
Just incredible for me with speeds in the mid 130's and a high of 138 which I think is very close to driver ball speed for me.

that is awesome.

WOAH, now THAT is a jump, and I didn't expect that compared to the CBX. Hit them all on the same monitor in the same session?

Dammit Jim.....

It was kind of funny, I went in the PGA SS hoping to find a PX Catalyst in a fitting cart to try and there were none so I wandered over to the used rack and there was a CBX 15 and the ZF85 13.5 looking like new. The CBX had a Hzrdus yellow and the F85 had a Red, there were pre owned stickers over the shaft label diamond so I figured what the heck I would hit them and see what happens.

Hit the CBX 1st and hit it well with ball speeds in the mid to high 120's and a real good one hit 130 carry about 210 or so which is about right for me with roll out to 220ish but that is all relative.

Then hit the F85 and and boom every one was in the 130's and carries in the 220 range with roll out to 238+ spin in the high 2,000's to 3,300 the guy was smiling and said lets try some others and they were all about the same as the CBX.

All with stiff (in the TS2, not the smoke) and PX EF blue 6.0 in the rogue being the lowest which was a surprise and the TS2 a very close second best.

He peeled the sticker off the CBX and the F85 and the CBX was 6.0 75 yellow and the CBX 6.5 63 red, he was laughing that I should not hit the 6.5 better than the 6.0 with my SS but I went back to it again and the results were just as good consistently in the 130's and most 135+.

All were off the mat, if I remember correctly the launch angle was around 14+/-* on most shots don't know if that is good or bad.

It left with me for $189 looks like brand new, go figure this game.

It was kind of funny, I went in the PGA SS hoping to find a PX Catalyst in a fitting cart to try and there were none so I wandered over to the used rack and there was a CBX 15 and the ZF85 13.5 looking like new. The CBX had a Hzrdus yellow and the F85 had a Red, there were pre owned stickers over the shaft label diamond so I figured what the heck I would hit them and see what happens.

Hit the CBX 1st and hit it well with ball speeds in the mid to high 120's and a real good one hit 130 carry about 210 or so which is about right for me with roll out to 220ish but that is all relative.

Then hit the F85 and and boom every one was in the 130's and carries in the 220 range with roll out to 238+ spin in the high 2,000's to 3,300 the guy was smiling and said lets try some others and they were all about the same as the CBX.

All with stiff (in the TS2, not the smoke) and PX EF blue 6.0 in the rogue being the lowest which was a surprise and the TS2 a very close second best.

He peeled the sticker off the CBX and the F85 and the CBX was 6.0 75 yellow and the CBX 6.5 63 red, he was laughing that I should not hit the 6.5 better than the 6.0 with my SS but I went back to it again and the results were just as good consistently in the 130's and most 135+.

All were off the mat, if I remember correctly the launch angle was around 14+/-* on most shots don't know if that is good or bad.

It left with me for $189 looks like brand new, go figure this game.

sounds like you have a weapon in the bag, jimbo!

We will see, it was pretty funny to hit it that well off a mat. Might be doom off the grass, but I hope not.
Doesn't happen very often when I hit well in a sim the lighting messes with my eyes. But I was making good contact with all of them but the CBX and F85 were straight or draws, all the rest wanted to fade.
Who knows, worth a shot.

The guy was pretty funny, he says 'do you want to hit the Driver it is really hot also". I ran out of there...I like to club ho as much as anyone but I am not changing Drivers, I am not changing Drivers, I am not even going to try it.

Back