Driver woes, dial back the clock?

NullNomad

Golf Course Miscreant
Reaction score
Handicap
work
Forgive the fact that my brain never shuts off, but reading a few threads this morning a new thought has leaked into my head. All of this because I haven't been able to hit my driver with any consistency or confidence in over a month. I can't justify spending money trying to "buy" a fix (which rarely works anyway), as much as we all love getting a new shiny. However, I do have a wide variety of clubs in my stash to play with. One in particular I'm thinking about gaming again is the Cleveland XL Classic. It's not a long club, hell I could probably hit my 3w about the same distance, but I used to get it in play without much fear. It was always a solid driver for me, nothing fancy, not booming, in fact pretty boring. I know it doesn't have all the fancy tech or adjustments you see in almost all drivers these days, but wondering if I should give it a go to build confidence back into that part of my game.

So opinions/stories folks, has anyone who has ever struggled with a certain club, gone back to something that's collecting dust, but was money when it was in the bag?

Haven't gone backwards, have you tried cutting the shaft length down on the driver? I have done that on all of mine and make better face contact consistently.

I would never advocate buying a new club because you are struggling with what is in your bag as it will never solve the underlying problem - it might help mask it to a degree if it is designed to combat your particular issue, but it will never fix it

Much better to spend the money on a lesson or two and then practice to fix the problem

Haven't gone backwards, have you tried cutting the shaft length down on the driver? I have done that on all of mine and make better face contact consistently.

I did. Picked up the exact same shaft and cut it down so that I would have options. It tamed the demon a bit, swing felt better and more consistent, but the end results is like the scene from Top Gun... "Where'd he go?"..."Where'd who go?" LOL

I would never advocate buying a new club because you are struggling with what is in your bag as it will never solve the underlying problem - it might help mask it to a degree if it is designed to combat your particular issue, but it will never fix it

Much better to spend the money on a lesson or two and then practice to fix the problem

Agreed I advocate lessons over purchase any day and am currently doing that. The thought squeaking into my head is bit more of a conversation for the group rather than a fix for my swing issues.

When I have driver troubles I go to my 3W. Hit the fairway every time.

I think spending money on a new driver is not worth the return on investment. If one has a driver they can hit consistently straight, and with adequate/reasonable difference, no other driver is going to result in an average score reduction.
For the money, spending money on wedges or a putter will bring a better return on the money invested. Spending money on short game/putting lessons offers the very best return on dollars invested.
All that said, if one can afford the price, it is always fun to swing a brand new driver:banana:

Better to spend money on lessons first. Then put those to good use on a new driver...that is fit for you.

I'm a newer player but my girlfriend has been golfing for quite some time now, and one thing she repeatedly tells me (especially yesterday in the alternating shot tournament we were playing in) is straight and in play is better than long and out of play.

I'm not a great ball striker (far from it actually), but with doing simple half back swings I was keeping it in play even if I was only going about 200 yards. But the other group we were playing with were normally killing it, but more often than not they ended up off in the bush.

I'm a newer player but my girlfriend has been golfing for quite some time now, and one thing she repeatedly tells me (especially yesterday in the alternating shot tournament we were playing in) is straight and in play is better than long and out of play.

I'm not a great ball striker (far from it actually), but with doing simple half back swings I was keeping it in play even if I was only going about 200 yards. But the other group we were playing with were normally killing it, but more often than not they ended up off in the bush.

I've said it many times, this is why my wife is a favorite to get called on to play in 4 some scrambles. She very rarely misses the fairway. Always give the rest of the team the safe shot so they can try to be heroes lol

"It's all the arrow's fault."

-inaccurate archer

If something isn't working, I would schedule a lesson with a PGA professional and find the swing flaw causing the issue.

"It's all the arrow's fault."

-inaccurate archer

If something isn't working, I would schedule a lesson with a PGA professional and find the swing flaw causing the issue.

LOL oh this is no question an issue with the shooter!

The M1 is a fairly low MOI driver... if you're spraying it left/right it's likely not helping as much as a higher MOI driver would. If you're bombing it and want low spin then it is awesome though. Old higher spin drivers are cheap. If you like the Cleveland Classic you may be able to get it for a song.

Dave

Back