Your Take on PXG Golf?

I'd be interested in hitting some. It's forged, forgiving like a cavity, and from the videos I've seen, they produce a nice soft sound.

To respond to previous comments of upgrading new equipment often, people need to understand that it's all just marketing to make you think that the technology is going to make you a better golfer. Golf equipment manufacturers are not swimming in cash. Look at TaylorMade, they are losing money and adidas is looking to sell them. The reason that manufacturers are releasing new clubs once or twice a year is to try to generate new revenue. A set of irons can last you many years, but that's not good for the manufacturer. They keep tweaking it often and tell you that you are getting 10% more forgiveness or 2-4 yds of additional distance. This is all BS. People are obsessed with guys on Tour hitting their 6-irong 220yds, but they fail to tell you on TV that it was down wind or down hill or what the lofts are on their clubs. Yes they can hit it long, but it's because they hit the sweet spot 99.8% of the time with a consistently high swing speed. If you look at Jason Day's clubs, they are 1-2 degrees stronger than stock. He hits it so hard and high that he actually needs to deloft his irons.

I laugh every time I see a new set come out that claim 30% more forgiveness or 1-2 clubs longer due to cup face, hot face, slots, resin, etc technology. The average consumer does not know that the USGA sets a limit on COR = coefficient of restitution of .83 and golf balls to have a mass of 46g for it to be conforming and legal for play. If you use these numbers to calculate your smash factor, there is a theoretical limit based on those USGA numbers of 1.482. If this is the case, how can technology actually increase your distance since legally your ball speed to club head speed ratio can't exceed this number. So they lengthen the shaft, jack up your loft by 2-4 degrees and create higher launching clubs. Compare a "players" irons loft numbers to that of a GI or distance iron. The distance irons are anywhere from 2-4 degrees stronger. A typical 4-iron should be 24 degrees, but for many distance irons, that's the loft of their 5-iron. So is it really technology or perception?

With that said, I don't know what these PXG's can actually do for anyone technology wise. All that tech is there to create a cavity back forgiveness clubs that looks like a slightly larger blade. The resin is to create mass, prevent the super thin face from collapsing, and that muted soft sound. I don't think that they are any more special in craftsmanship than say a Mizuno or Miura. You're probably paying for the high cost of labor in the U.S.A, initial R&D and marketing costs, and exclusivity.

Should I hit the Powerball this weekend, I'd most certainly give these a try...along with many other clubs. The reviews from guys like Crossfield and others have me intrigued. At my current pay grade, it would only be a pipe dream.

As a guy who designs for a living, it interests me how others can claim finding the "next big thing" and market it as the best thing since sliced bread, only for the "innovation" to be downplayed or be gone after a few more iterations of newer models.

It really is not easy to distinguish what is serious R and D and what is just slick marketing.

You must be "interested" every year, because every OEM says their new irons/driver is the "Next Big Thing" with more distance and forgiveness :D

You must be "interested" every year, because every OEM says their new irons/driver is the "Next Big Thing" with more distance and forgiveness :D

And for someone, they will accomplish just that, every release.

Every release fits SOMEONE better and has a chance to improve their game.

This thread intrigues me a ton, and while I am not too familiar with PXG and their equipment, I dont understand why some just instantly kick back against their product because of the price point?

Are they for everyone? Nope. Is there someone out there who wants to spend this kind of money on equipment? Yep.

From what I have read about their clubs, it's very high end materials and very high end manufacturing. I don't mind a company going after a niche if they feel like they can make money and their business plan is to be the top premium golf club company. I will never own a set but if they are successful and obviously have began creating a nice lineup of supporters in the PGA/LPGA, well good for them. As long as they don't start an advertising campaign suggesting the average golfer should be playing their clubs then I don't mind. It's like a premium luxury car company who is obviously trying to target the premium customer market.

We'll have to see how their pros do with them. Let's see if Zach Johnson gets used to it after coming from Titleist. So far not a good start for him at +2 at the tournament of champions with the new gear.

They look great if you have a big golf budget.

I really want to hit them but don't want to have to do a fitting to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While they are not in my price range, they do look cool as heck in my opinion.

While I've never touched their clubs, I've seen them and personally, they don't all pass my eye test. As for price point? Currently, I can't afford them so I won't be saving my money. Who knows, maybe I'll get a chance to hit them and they'll feel like heaven and I'll start a fund to get some, but for now I'm sticking with what's in my bag.

The more I read and hear about PGX, the more I want to get the wedge I demo'd back in November.

Really, I would do it because 1) I hit it great, better dispersion than the two other clubs I hit at the same time; 2) It would be cool to have a club so that other people could try it out when I travel to THP events; 3) It felt great to hit; and 4) I want to see Scottsdale National GC and the fitting center there.

Talking to my fitter today he said someone came in asking for them the other day. He hasn't heard from the guy that was a Ping sales rep and went over to pxg. Doubt he gets them in stock.

Talking to my fitter today he said someone came in asking for them the other day. He hasn't heard from the guy that was a Ping sales rep and went over to pxg. Doubt he gets them in stock.

Will there be stock or is it going to be fitting cart straight to custom order?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Will there be stock or is it going to be fitting cart straight to custom order?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

My fitter doesn't keep a lot of stock and at the price point of these even he definitely isn't going to stock them. I would guess it will depend on the shop if they stock or not.

Does anyone really buy the entire set at once? More realistically, we're talking sub 1,000 for irons. Can you justify spending more than twice that (or even settle for simply twice that) on irons? Can most golfers?

It will be really interesting to see how the used market is for PXG.

This was kind of my thought. Maybe they'll crush the secondary market

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My fitter doesn't keep a lot of stock and at the price point of these even he definitely isn't going to stock them. I would guess it will depend on the shop if they stock or not.
Goldom said they won't carry them, but they do carry XXIO and Muira

I think they will probably succeed as a niche upscale brand. I'm sure my club will have a dozen or more takers - the same guys that have to drive a Maserati or Ferrari because a Mercedes or Corvette is different enough.

I think they will probably succeed as a niche upscale brand. I'm sure my club will have a dozen or more takers - the same guys that have to drive a Maserati or Ferrari because a Mercedes or Corvette is different enough.

That is a great way of putting it. Love the comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is exactly how i was going to describe it.. Nobody says anything because someone wants to buy a Ferrari... it still has 4 wheels and goes down the road the same as any other car, but some people want it. If that's what PXG wants, i'm sure they will have a few takers.

I've been thinking about these quite a bit and what I think of them. I kind of feel that because the way they are marketed and perceived anyone who tries them will enjoy. Because of their price tag and how right now as mentioned above are being looked at as the Lambos or Ferraris of the golf world. I can't imagine that the clubs don't perform to expectations, but I'm a realist and wouldn't expect much more than what I see now with my current clubs. Sure they might be a hair straighter or longer if their R&D found something but I don't think there would be any drastic performance gains for me. Feel is obviously something I wouldn't know until trying. But I feel if you handed a bunch of golfers a 7 iron from Callaway, Titleist, Cobra, Bridgestone, and PXG and had them test with no badges or logos on them, and listed prices of each iron set and listed PXG at the bottom even tho they're the most expensive, they wouldn't come out on top. I think it's all how they're perceived and for most people if you tell them "these are some of the most expensive clubs you can buy" most people will like them even before trying them.

I've been thinking about these quite a bit and what I think of them. I kind of feel that because the way they are marketed and perceived anyone who tries them will enjoy. Because of their price tag and how right now as mentioned above are being looked at as the Lambos or Ferraris of the golf world. I can't imagine that the clubs don't perform to expectations, but I'm a realist and wouldn't expect much more than what I see now with my current clubs. Sure they might be a hair straighter or longer if their R&D found something but I don't think there would be any drastic performance gains for me. Feel is obviously something I wouldn't know until trying. But I feel if you handed a bunch of golfers a 7 iron from Callaway, Titleist, Cobra, Bridgestone, and PXG and had them test with no badges or logos on them, and listed prices of each iron set and listed PXG at the bottom even tho they're the most expensive, they wouldn't come out on top. I think it's all how they're perceived and for most people if you tell them "these are some of the most expensive clubs you can buy" most people will like them even before trying them.

I will add to your scenario -

Give a bunch of golfers (with handicaps lower than 15) your list of clubs, do not tell them what brand or what cost, and let them choose what they like on the range (not simulator). I bet PXG does much better than you would expect, based on feel and performance.
Add price, all things are no longer equal. Price changes perception, no question about it.

I will add to your scenario -

Give a bunch of golfers (with handicaps lower than 15) your list of clubs, do not tell them what brand or what cost, and let them choose what they like on the range (not simulator). I bet PXG does much better than you would expect, based on feel and performance.
Add price, all things are no longer equal. Price changes perception, no question about it.

Oh I have no doubts some if not a majority would pick them. If they weren't great clubs I don't think they would have had as many signings as they have had even if he's paying a boat load for them to play the clubs. Also, with their cost they HAVE to perform and feel great no question.

I just looked at the PXG experience - starting at $12,500. Now how do I sneak that one past my wife?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back