scottmti

Passionate Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
I’m thinking of getting golf lessons. I took a 5 lessons when I start my golf journey back in early 90s.
I played well and score well. Recently I am having major issues hitting anything longer than 6i. Except the driver. I lost total confidence hitting anything above 6i off the turf.
I’ve been eyeing on local range pro I think look capable. He charges $120/hr single session and $500 for 5 one hour session.
Should I do 5 or just one to start with. Not sure how you guys who takes lesson regularly but it’s been such long time I took any lessons. Not looking for major change but hoping pro can lead me to right direction since I am so confused. Tried all sorts of stuff and it is not working.
I am more than happy with my driver and short irons. I have decent short game and I score well in situations. It’s that 170-220 area is where I struggle the most.
Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My two cents: Don't go all in until you know how they coach and what their personality is. The relationship and communication style is just as important as their resume in my book. I might even bring that up to him and see if he would do a 1/2hr at a lower cost just to get to know what he's like in the "training box".

I’m thinking of getting golf lessons. I took a 5 lessons when I start my golf journey back in early 90s.
I played well and score well. Recently I am having major issues hitting anything longer than 6i. Except the driver. I lost total confidence hitting anything above 6i off the turf.
I’ve been eyeing on local range pro I think look capable. He charges $120/hr single session and $500 for 5 one hour session.
Should I do 5 or just one to start with. Not sure how you guys who takes lesson regularly but it’s been such long time I took any lessons. Not looking for major change but hoping pro can lead me to right direction since I am so confused. Tried all sorts of stuff and it is not working.
I am more than happy with my driver and short irons. I have decent short game and I score well in situations. It’s that 170-220 area is where I struggle the most.
Any thoughts?

Pay $120 for the single lesson.
Following the lesson, if you liked his teaching style and think he can help you, then ask him what he recommends regarding how you should now practice and the number/timing of future lessons.

My two cents: Don't go all in until you know how they coach and what their personality is. The relationship and communication style is just as important as their resume in my book. I might even bring that up to him and see if he would do a 1/2hr at a lower cost just to get to know what he's like in the "training box".

Is 1/2 hour is enough? Such a short period

Is 1/2 hour is enough? Such a short period

I'm pretty sure I would figure our if I didn't like someone's style in 30min, but that's me.

I am taking lessons and do four 30 minute lessons for $120.00 I find 30 minutes is enough to work on what she feels i need and not overload me with info. I then go work on it and practice what she gave me. It has been a tremendous help so far. I have my wife in with the same instructor and after 5 lessons we are going to play this sat. It will be her first time on a course so we are starting with 9 holes.

Ask the pro if you can take one lesson with the option to upgrade to the 5 lesson package. The Pro won't adjust much anyway if you're hitting the other clubs well.

$120 an hour is a pretty high rate. Most assistant pros are around $60-$80 an hour. Head pros are typically $80-$100 in my experience. I have run across one head pro that was like $250, but his claim to fame was having taught Brandt Snedecker.

Not saying don't go with the guy, but you may want to look around a bit. You don't necessarily want to go cheap, but also sometimes the best pro isn't always the most expensive one either.

I agree with pretty much everything posted.

1. that's a steep price unless they are a name known to a lot of us golf junkies, or at least the golf junkies in your area.

2. I'd definitely start with 1 after having negotiated paying for the rest at the going rate for 5, credit included. If they're scared to offer that I'd have my answer and decline even that first one.

3. Even if this is the only option where you are, and they won't give credit for lesson 1 in a 5 lesson package, I'd never go all in for that much without a "trial" run for you. I can just picture Chubbs sitting there leafing through the magazine.

4. You can buy a top of the line hybrid with premium shaft for well under 500.00. Is hitting long irons that important to you? They're generally easier to hit than long irons. Just playing devils advocate here:)

I agree with pretty much everything posted.

1. that's a steep price unless they are a name known to a lot of us golf junkies, or at least the golf junkies in your area.

2. I'd definitely start with 1 after having negotiated paying for the rest at the going rate for 5, credit included. If they're scared to offer that I'd have my answer and decline even that first one.

3. Even if this is the only option where you are, and they won't give credit for lesson 1 in a 5 lesson package, I'd never go all in for that much without a "trial" run for you. I can just picture Chubbs sitting there leafing through the magazine.

4. You can buy a top of the line hybrid with premium shaft for well under 500.00. Is hitting long irons that important to you? They're generally easier to hit than long irons. Just playing devils advocate here:)

Thanks. Hitting long iron is something I use to do well. I can pretty much hit 7i accurate as my 9i. I can hit high with decent accuracy. 6i is in the middle but when I pick up 5i Something just doesn’t feel right and I start doing weird stuff. 4 and 3 hybrid I can handle but this 5i and 6i just drives me crazy. Let’s not even go fairway wood. I just want to find out wutda heck is going on. Its been year since I flushed a 5i. Not even a single accident flush hit. lol
Yes $120/hr is high. Need to search more.

There's a local course that offers drop ins. A co-worker of mine recommends her and has used her as a coach during the off-season. I did go to the drop in to see what's she's like and her coaching style. Another local club includes a free 20 minute intro lesson with a preferred rate membership which I've used just to get a feel for the coach. I find that 15-30 minutes is plenty of time to get an idea of what a coach's style is like. For me, I look for someone who is willing to work with me and my imperfections not look to mold or force me into something I'm not.

I think pretty much everyone is saying same thing here ... And it's all good advice.

Guy could be worth the dollars, but you gotta know it's going to be right for you.

Get as much you can for as cheap as you can (without being a dick about it) and take it from there.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Back